ReStaff September - October 2014

Discussion in 'Resource Staff Releases' started by Caz, Oct 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was encouraged to post these screenshots here to show off some of the lovely tiles we have received this month!

So here are some pieces of my map I've been working on this afternoon, compliments of PandaMaru's lovely autumn set. Other credits go to Titanhex and Mack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore the gaping hole that is supposed to be a river here.

I got to working and realized I didn't have a proper water tile. It will be edited in later, I just HAD

to show off PandaMaru's beautiful stuff!

[​IMG]

whitesphere, Susan, Caz and 5 others like this.
  2. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Very nice! My only suggestion would in the second image, the top group of trees seems a bit too clumped. Maybe add in a small clearing within the group to give it a more natural look. Otherwise, it does convey a nice fall setting.

3. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

I must be dumb as a post, but I have looked for Liberty's profile under all of the names I know (Liberty, SilverSatyr and Kajini) and I just cannot find it!

Is Liberty a member here and I am just too dense to find it?

(lol, and it is a bit tricky with the multiple name thing. =]

4. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think liberty is now ksjp(and some numbers).

Oh no, hold on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  5. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

6. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes! I always get those two mixed up.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  7. wallacethepig

wallacethepig Potato Mage Veteran

First Language:
    Piglish
    Feedback time!

Graphics:

Avery: Wow, that table looks nice. The chairs are really pretty, too. Out of all the wall designs, I think my favorite one is the beige and brown one, with the green one coming in a close second. Looks great!

Candacis: Holy cow, that's a lot of tiles. The paper lantern(?) looks fantastic. I really like the little touches you put in, like the vial icon and wine glass on that one sign. Your cornucopia looks really nice, too. I really like how you did your awnings. Keep up the good work!

Caz: All right, DS sprites! I really like these, and I wish more people did stuff like this with the DS characters. Your sci-fi spaceship actually looks nice, which is pretty refreshing seeing as how I've encountered very few nice spaceship graphics.

Chaos Avian: MMMM, those battlers! We've got shiny Tailow, Oddish, slow sanic, and Monty Python squirrel. All of 'em look fantastic, especially that adorable bush mite. Those eyes are just so lovable!

Justin Zalett: Nice work on those icons! I particularly like the second gun and sword. The gun bullets are clever, and I like how you made the weapons in stages. Great job!

kj3400: Your arrows look cool! I can only imagine the tile puzzles that will inevitably come along with them. (I know they're for transfer events, which is still super useful.) :)

leilaheliday: Nice job on the windowskins! I always like seeing new ones, and I love that you put little faces instead of arrows. Cute!

Liberty: Nice in-theme autumn tiles! RTP edits are always super cool and much-needed. Nice work!

Matombo: And the most useful graphic goes to...you! These will be put to good use in a great many games (or at least they should).

Matseb: Those animated battlers are great! I really like your save point, too. And those robots! Fantastic animation! Keep it up!

palladinthug: More DS sprites, yay! Your policemen are really nice, especially the hats. I can't help but think that your fireman lacks a little hair, though. I really like the lighthouse light, too!

PandaMaru: Wow. Those trees and pumpkins are incredible! All of the faces you did for the Halloween forest are really cool! Your thorn thicket, corn, and new trees look really great. I can't wait to see a horror game that uses these! Keep making more amazing tiles!

Thalzon: Is it weird that I find most of those mushrooms adorable? Yeah, it's probably weird. Either way, you did an absolutely fantastic job with all of them. They're all really unique and creative. Nice work!
    Musics:

DesperateMeasurez: I really like the ambiance of Drifting Through Space. It would make for an excellent credits theme, I think. Exotic Plains is...exotic. It's been a while since I've heard music like this in an RM, so props for creativity. The flute melody is quite relaxing, and your percussion instruments are really nice. Great job on both of them!

JohhnyR: Ensemble of Souls sounds like it go to a crystal cave of sorts as well as a town. It has a really nice bass line to it. Memories of a Better Time sounds fantastic and the title really fits. Space Melody has a really nice piano riff going on, and I like the far-out background instrumentation you have going on there. They all sound incredible!

Scythuz: Stars Will Fall rounds out the sci-fi songs of this ReStaff, and sounds just as great as the other two. It seems like it would be good for an abandoned spaceship dungeon. Stay on Target's title made me think of this, but in reality it's a funky techno beat. It sounds really nice, but I feel like the spacey wah-wahs clash a little bit with the rest of the song. Both sound great on their own, but I think they need separate songs to really stand out. The Sophisticated Man sounds like the theme of a giant technocracy, and Warp Factor 5.2 seems like it would make a good battle theme, but something seems off about the tempo that I can't put my finger on. Withering Leaves is my favorite out of these 5, and it sounds like it would be good for a sadder theme. Fantastic job!
    Great job, everyone!

-Wallace

8. Matombo

Matombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    aww thanks ^^

9. JohnnyR

JohnnyR Dungeon Master Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everyone.. I'm really sorry for not getting back at you earlier, but besides being extra busy in this last month, I had all kinds of problems, so I just managed to fully get back to life 2 days ago. lol

Anyway, I've read all your comments and I appreciate it a lot, as always, you're all really kind!

Here's my thanks and support for everyone.

Replies / Thanks

Dreadshadow - Thanks mate!

palladinthug - Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like them! I totally agree with you, we don't have many SEs available, so I thought those would be a nice add to the pack! :)

nio kasgami - Thanks! Yeah, it's the same file, but in different variations. That way you can mix it with your own songs if the first one I made doesn't suit ya! ;)

Candacis - Thank you! Glad you like them! I'll try to come up with some more SEs in future releases! :D

AwesomeCool - Hahaha, thanks man!

Scythuz - As always thanks for the feedback, I always learn something with you in every new pack! Haha Yeah, I won't lie, Starbound came to my head after I finished the track, and you're right, it should have more variations, but I had 2 problems while making this track: First of all, creativity! I was almost rage quitting it, but I promised I would bring a new space-like track, and well, I had to! Second, I was using up almost all of my "space resource" on that, and when I felt it sounded a little bit close to what I had in mind, I finished there. So yeah, I didn't put so much effort in this one... Shame on me, I know, but don't worry, I won't disappoint on my next tracks!

As for the clipping, ever since you told me that, I've been really careful about that matter, and seriously, I still can't notice any clip on any of the files... Maybe I just lack ear-power knowledge, who knows..? xD

And finally, as for the stupid variations I made, I know about the rm pitch shifter, and that's exactly why I made them! You see, the shifter, in every attempt to change the pad's key, slowed it down, as it does with every other sound in change to change it, and what I wanted was the same track, on different keys, but on the same length and speed! Well, it's just like you said, I was just trying something new! :p

Dalph - Oh man.. I'm glad you liked the space theme, 'cause I went through hell to make it happen! Anyway, I'll try to make better space themes next time! Oh, also, thanks a lot for the kind words! I know that Ensemble of Souls was a short track, but I got to a point where everything I added to it wasn't sounding as good as the rest of the track, so I kind of "had" to stop there.. At least it's a very good "quick" loop theme for a town! xD And yeah, I'll bring more SEs and BGSs in the future!

Ms Littlefish - Yeah, as I explained above, it sounded good 'til some point, then I started to do something wrong... I could maybe try to make a longer version with more chord variations of this same piece.. Who knows? Also, glad you liked the other one! :)

Caz - Thanks a lot! Seriously, I think you perfectly put into words what I was trying to achieve in each one of them! <3

wallacethepig - Thanks a lot! Though I really can't picture that track as a cave theme.. haha I guess I'll just have to try it out some time! xD 
    Artists Feedback

Avery - You got some good tiles there, good job!

Candacis - Wow! Those are amazing! You brought some good stuff for us again, thank you! I really love market-like tiles, and besides, you even made a birthday cake! Add an awesome table full of content with a couple of musicians and there you go, a full "dinner a la Candacis"! xD (You know, a taller, mack, version of the band sprites would be a divine blessing!!)

Caz - As always, your beautiful art is highly appreciated! :)

Chaos Avian - When I first saw Dalph's screenshot, I noticed that it had your art style in it, but only when I downloaded the pack I realized that it was the squirrel I begged you to finish! Hahaha! Amazing job there! I'd give you a "squirrel of the year" award if I could! xD

JustinZallet - Good icons. I hope to see more stuff from you in the future.

kj3400 - Perfect, my characters will never get lost again! xD

leilaheliday - Yay, more skins! :)

Liberty - Am I the only one who remembers DOOM 2's Bloody Falls map every time I look at those bloody falls you made? They look awesome! 

Matombo - Cool, trapdoors! Killing the party is never enough! 

Matseb - So... much.. content! I remember when first showed us that (gem robot?) enemy a couple months ago, and I must say, wow! You made a lot of stuff, and they're all amazing! Great job! :D

Palladinthug - Lovely DS sprites you got there! Good job!

PandaMaru - Those trees are amazing! I really liked the Halloween content you provided! Thanks a lot and great job!

Thalzon - Who said the Mushroom Kingdom needed to be saved? Huh? Who was that? Does anyone here think those bad-ass mushrooms need any help? (I think I can finally build my mushroom army and rule the world.. Mua ha ha ha ha)
    Musicians Feedback

DesperateMeasurez - You did a great job on those tracks, I really like your music, and once again you surprised me! The first one, "Drifting Through Space" was amazing! My favorite track from you in this pack. Though it didn't feel really like a space theme to me, but I'm sure it would be an awesome cave/maze/dungeon/castle/forest theme! xD "Exotic Plains" was also really good!

Scythuz - As always, amazing tracks! Stars Will Fall and Withering Leaves are my favorites! The first one gave me some chills, and I believe it fits well a space dungeon! And the second one is probably one of the most amazing tracks I've ever heard from you! I love calm tracks that gives me some medieval feel, and I think you made it just fine! Maybe I'll use it in a castle or maybe in a town! Really, great job!
    Once again, sorry for the late reply, and thanks a lot for the awesome feedback!

See you guys later!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
    PandaMaru, Matseb2611, Dalph and 2 others like this.
  10. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm glad it helps, sometimes I worry that I critique too harshly haha.  Sometimes all you need to variation is a slight melody change, a change in the rhythm/percussion or even just changing the key.

The clipping is just what audacity is telling me, I only mention it if it happens consistently but I think it's coming from you trying to make the tracks too loud; possibly by using too much compression/limiting?

JohnnyR and DesperateMeasurez like this.
  11. DesperateMeasurez

DesperateMeasurez Darren Curtis Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Don't worry about being too harsh. We're all big kids. We can take it!!! It's always nice to have another ear and perspective on things.

JohnnyR and Archeia like this.
  12. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think you should be disappointed with this track, because it's very good, and the effort you've put in (by the sounds of it A LOT) was well worth it. Yeah, maybe it lacks in variation a bit, but it's a great sci-fi track nevertheless that sounds somewhat mystifying and surreal. I think between this track, Scythuz's 'Stars Will Fall', and DM's 'Drifting Through Space', you guys have covered the essence of what makes sci-fi genre so cool. Those 3 tracks were easily the music highlights for me in this pack.

JohnnyR and DesperateMeasurez like this.
  13. JohnnyR

JohnnyR Dungeon Master Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Scythuz - Don't worry about it, DesperateMeasurez is right, we're all here to contribute and learn! xD

Also, thanks again for the tip, I might give Audacity a try, since you talk so much about it, it must be an excellent program!

@Matseb2611 - Thanks a lot, man, I really appreciate it!!! :D

Matseb2611 likes this.