Restrict movement directions with YEP Region Restrictions?

Tonko

Club penguin pro player
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there. Today I started a new project, and I have already made two maps using Parallax mapping, using Galv's Layer Graphics for the overlay, the built-in parallax system for the ground and YEP Region Restrictions for making the player and the events able to walk. But there is a problem; There is a platfrom where the player is supposed to be able to walk, but just if they come from the left. However, using Regions Restrictions, they can get there from any direction. I left a GIF below so you can understand:

And here is a picture of how I have set up the movement tiles on the map:

Before someone tells me to use Google, I have already tried searching about it, but none of the results were useful.

Any ideas? @Yanfly

Thanks.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple solution:
Don't use any Region restrictions at all for passability, but use an invisible tileset with real passability.

That is the way parallax passability has originally been handled since VX.
People make a "working" tilesheet that displays arrows in the same way the directional passability in a tileset works. They set passability with that tileset everywhere on their parallax maps.
And when the game is finished, they exchange the marker tilesheet with a completely, transparent picture sheet, so that the player can no longer see any of the now all transparent tiles.

Tonko

Club penguin pro player
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple solution:
Don't use any Region restrictions at all for passability, but use an invisible tileset with real passability.

That is the way parallax passability has originally been handled since VX.
People make a "working" tilesheet that displays arrows in the same way the directional passability in a tileset works. They set passability with that tileset everywhere on their parallax maps.
And when the game is finished, they exchange the marker tilesheet with a completely, transparent picture sheet, so that the player can no longer see any of the now all transparent tiles.
Oh, that´s just what I used to do when I used VX Ace, I don´t know how I didn´t remember.

Thank for the idea, however, I was thinking in mixing both the region restrictions and the passability tileset; I use Region tiles if possible, but if there is a special tile such as the platform one, I use the passability tileset.

Is it a bad idea? Because for some reason I think it´s not a very good one...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't call it a very bad idea, but it will use up resources without any need.
1) you'll have to switch tabs to display and change different passabilities
2) you'll need resources for the plugin and block a Region ID even if that is possible with real passability
3) less plugins means less chance of compatibility problems between different plugins.

So basically if you think you need one of the other functions of that plugin (if it has more) then you might consider it, but using it for that passability alone when you already need the regulär passability doesn't make much sense...

Tonko

Club penguin pro player
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't call it a very bad idea, but it will use up resources without any need.
1) you'll have to switch tabs to display and change different passabilities
2) you'll need resources for the plugin and block a Region ID even if that is possible with real passability
3) less plugins means less chance of compatibility problems between different plugins.

So basically if you think you need one of the other functions of that plugin (if it has more) then you might consider it, but using it for that passability alone when you already need the regulär passability doesn't make much sense...
Well, you are right.

What I actually made was to disable Region Restrictions, adapt a passability tileset I had for VX Ace and use it, and used Layer Graphics to actually put the parallax picture above the tileset, so I can see all the passability in the editor, but not in-game. The tileset includes directional movement, but I didn't use it in the current map because I had already put some obstacles to prevent the player from walking on those areas. However, I have configured it, and can use it whenever I want.

In editor

In-game

I would like to do a little tutorial about it, but there are two problems;

1- I have never made a tutorial before

2- The passability tileset I had for VX Ace, the one I adapted to MV, was there in my files since I have memory, but I didn't make it myself. I should find the creator to credit him, but I couldn't yet. I have tried putting the tileset in Google image search, but he didn't appear.

Anyway, thank you because of your idea, it definitively helped me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......
i love my game very much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knife77