Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm working on a HUD for my game, which will display the Key binds of the different actions the player can make.

Currently the HUD will display different $gameVariables that hold the button key names as different strings: 'A' 'S' 'D' 'Z' 'X' 'C'

Keyboard HUD.png

However, I am also utilizing Yanfly's Keyboard configuration script, which allows players to change the key binds for the controls.

My objective is to dynamically update the HUD to display the correct Letter associated with each keybind. If I update the string name of each button as the player assigns a different key, then I can have the HUD update to reflect the new keybind.

I'm thinking Input.initialize would be where I can set the default names. I found that Input.keyMapper[90] will return the 'ok', indicating the Z button is associated with the 'ok' Input.

I'm not sure if there's an existing function to see what keys are assigned to the 'ok', 'page', 'pagedown', etc. (I'm assuming it would return an array if there's multiple buttons assigned). I also found 'keyName' in the script as well which was of interest, so perhaps I can use this information to assign the $gameVariables. I've been rooting around the default rpg_core as well for inspiration.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to approach this challenge, please let me know. I'll be mulling it over in the meantime, so I'll keep this thread updated if I find anything new. Thanks everyone!

//============================================================================= // Yanfly Engine Plugins - Keyboard Configuration // YEP_KeyboardConfig.js //============================================================================= var Imported = Imported || {}; Imported.YEP_KeyboardConfig = true; var Yanfly = Yanfly || {}; Yanfly.KeyConfig = Yanfly.KeyConfig || {}; Yanfly.KeyConfig.version = 1.04; //============================================================================= /*: * @plugindesc v1.04 Allows players to adjust their button configuration * for keyboards. * @author Yanfly Engine Plugins * * @param ---General--- * @default * * @param Command Name * @parent ---General--- * @desc This is the option name that appears in the main menu. * @default Keyboard Config * * @param Button Events * @parent ---General--- * @desc Requires YEP_ButtonCommonEvents. This is a list of common * events you can bind to key presses. Separate with a space. * @default 1 2 3 * * @param Button Events List * @parent ---General--- * @type number[] * @desc Requires YEP_ButtonCommonEvents. This is a list of common * events you can bind to key presses. MV 1.5.0+ * @default [] * * @param ---Help Text--- * @default * * @param Key Help * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the help message that will display for keys. * @default Change the configuration of this key? * * @param Default Layout * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the text for switching to the default layout. * @default Default Keyboard Layout * * @param Default Help * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the help message that will display for keys. * @default Reverts your keyboard setting to the default setup. * * @param WASD Layout * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the text for switching to the WASD layout. * @default WASD Movement Layout * * @param WASD Help * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the help message that will display for WASD. * @default Changes your keyboard to WASD movement. * * @param Finish Config * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the text for finishing with keyboard configuration. * @default Finish Configuration * * @param Finish Help * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the help message that will display for Finish. * @default Are you done configuring your keyboard? * * @param Assigned Color * @parent ---Help Text--- * @type number * @min 0 * @max 31 * @desc This is the background color of a key that's assigned. * @default 21 * * @param Action Color * @parent ---Help Text--- * @type number * @min 0 * @max 31 * @desc This is the text color of an assigned action. * @default 4 * * @param Clear Text * @parent ---Help Text--- * @desc This is the Clear action will appear for the config text. * @default Clear * * @param ---Key Names--- * @default * * @param OK Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the OK action will appear on a key. * @default OK * * @param OK Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the OK action will appear for the config text. * @default OK / Talk * * @param Escape Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Escape action will appear on a key. * @default X * * @param Escape Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Escape action will appear for the config text. * @default Cancel / Menu * * @param Cancel Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Cancel action will appear on a key. * @default Cancel * * @param Cancel Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Cancel action will appear for the config text. * @default Cancel * * @param Menu Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Menu action will appear on a key. * @default Menu * * @param Menu Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Menu action will appear for the config text. * @default Menu * * @param Shift Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Shift action will appear on a key. * @default Dash * * @param Shift Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Shift action will appear for the config text. * @default Dash * * @param PageUp Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the PageUp action will appear on a key. * @default PgUp * * @param PageUp Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the PageUp action will appear for the config text. * @default Page Up * * @param PageDown Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the PageUp action will appear on a key. * @default PgDn * * @param PageDown Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the PageUp action will appear for the config text. * @default Page Down * * @param Left Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Left action will appear on a key. * @default ◄ * * @param Left Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Left action will appear for the config text. * @default Move ◄ Left * * @param Up Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Up action will appear on a key. * @default ▲ * * @param Up Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Up action will appear for the config text. * @default Move ▲ Up * * @param Right Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Right action will appear on a key. * @default ► * * @param Right Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Right action will appear for the config text. * @default Move ► Right * * @param Down Key * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Down action will appear on a key. * @default ▼ * * @param Down Text * @parent ---Key Names--- * @desc This is the Down action will appear for the config text. * @default Move ▼ Down * * @help * ============================================================================ * Introduction * ============================================================================ * * This plugin allows players to change their keyboard configuration from the * in-game Options menu provided that they're using a computer to play the * game and not from a mobile device. The "Keyboard Config" option will send * the player to a different screen where they can assign actions to each of * the allowed keys on the keyboard. * * Certain measures are made to prevent the player from locking himself or * herself in the configuration screen. These measures are that the Enter keys * and arrow keys cannot be changed. Almost every other key is capable of being * changed to something of the player's liking. * * Note: If you are using Button Common Events, place this plugin beneath * Button Common Events in the plugin parameter list. * * ============================================================================ * Button Common Event - Comment Tags * ============================================================================ * * If you're using Button Common Events, you can make certain Common Events * able to be bound to the keyboard using Comment Tags. To make a Comment Tag, * use a Comment Event inside of your Common Event, and insert the following to * achieve the desired effect: * * Comment Tag: * * <Config Key: text> * This is the text displayed on the keyboard if this common event is bound * to a keyboard key. If this text isn't used, then the text displayed will * be the common event's name. * * <Config Text: text> * This is the text displayed when selecting a key to bind for the keyboard * key. This is the text displayed in the selection list. If this text isn't * used, then the text displayed will be the common event's name. * * <Config Required> * This makes the common event required to be bound on the keyboard before * the player can exit the configuration menu. In order for this to work * properly, there needs to be a Button Common Event bound for this common * event as well. * * ============================================================================ * Options Core Settings - Adding the New Options * ============================================================================ * * If you are using YEP_OptionsCore.js, you can add a new Option using this * plugin. Here's the following code/parameter settings you can use with it. * * --------- * Settings: * --------- * * Name: * \i[83]Keyboard Config * * Help Description: * Configure the game's keyboard settings. * * Symbol: * keyConfig * * Show/Hide: * if (Imported.YEP_KeyboardConfig) { * show = !Utils.isMobileDevice(); * } else { * show = false; * } * * Enable: * enabled = true; * * Ext: * ext = 0; * * ---------- * Functions: * ---------- * * Make Option Code: * this.addCommand(name, symbol, enabled, ext); * * Draw Option Code: * var rect = this.itemRectForText(index); * var statusWidth = this.statusWidth(); * var titleWidth = rect.width - statusWidth; * this.resetTextColor(); * this.changePaintOpacity(this.isCommandEnabled(index)); * this.drawOptionsName(index); * * Process OK Code: * this.playOkSound(); * SceneManager.push(Scene_KeyConfig); * * Cursor Right Code: * // Empty. Provided by this plugin. * * Cursor Left Code: * // Empty. Provided by this plugin. * * Default Config Code: * // Empty. Provided by this plugin. * * Save Config Code: * // Empty. Provided by this plugin. * * Load Config Code: * // Empty. Provided by this plugin. * * ============================================================================ * Changelog * ============================================================================ * * Version 1.04: * - Compatibility update with YEP_OptionsCore.js. * * Version 1.03: * - Bug fixed that prevented the plugin from working if specific other plugins * weren't present. * * Version 1.02: * - Updated for RPG Maker MV version 1.5.0. * * Version 1.01: * - Compatibility update with Button Common Events. * - Added <Config Key: text>, <Config Text: text>, and <Config Required> * comment tags. These tags work together with Button Common Events. * * Version 1.00: * - Finished Plugin! */ //============================================================================= //============================================================================= // Parameter Variables //============================================================================= Yanfly.Parameters = PluginManager.parameters('YEP_KeyboardConfig'); Yanfly.Param = Yanfly.Param || {}; Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigName = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Command Name']); Yanfly.SetupParameters = function() { if (Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents) { Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Button Events']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv = Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv.split(' '); for (var i = 0; i < Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv.length; ++i) { Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv[i] = parseInt(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv[i]); }; Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigKeys = {}; for (var key in Yanfly.Param.BCEList) { value = Yanfly.Param.BCEList[key]; Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigKeys[value] = key; } var array = JSON.parse(Yanfly.Parameters['Button Events List'] || '[]'); for (var j = 0; j < array.length; ++j) { if (Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv.contains(array[j])) continue; Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv.push(parseInt(array[j])); } } else { Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv = []; }; }; Yanfly.SetupParameters(); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigKeyHelp = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Key Help']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDefaultTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Default Layout']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDefaultHelp = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Default Help']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigWasdTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['WASD Layout']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigWasdHelp = String(Yanfly.Parameters['WASD Help']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigFinishTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Finish Config']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigFinishHelp = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Finish Help']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigAssignColor = Number(Yanfly.Parameters['Assigned Color']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigActionColor = Number(Yanfly.Parameters['Action Color']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigClearTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Clear Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigOkKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['OK Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigOkTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['OK Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEscKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Escape Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEscTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Escape Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigCancelKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Cancel Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigCancelTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Cancel Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigMenuKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Menu Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigMenuTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Menu Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigShiftKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Shift Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigShiftTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Shift Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageUpKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['PageUp Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageUpTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['PageUp Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageDnKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['PageDown Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageDnTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['PageDown Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigLeftKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Left Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigLeftTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Left Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigUpKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Up Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigUpTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Up Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigRightKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Right Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigRightTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Right Text']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDownKey = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Down Key']); Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDownTx = String(Yanfly.Parameters['Down Text']); //============================================================================= // DataManager //============================================================================= Yanfly.KeyConfig.DataManager_isDatabaseLoaded = DataManager.isDatabaseLoaded; DataManager.isDatabaseLoaded = function() { if (!Yanfly.KeyConfig.DataManager_isDatabaseLoaded.call(this)) return false; this.processKeyConfigCommentTags($dataCommonEvents); return true; }; DataManager.processKeyConfigCommentTags = function(group) { Yanfly.KeyConfig.RequiredCommonEvents = []; for (var n = 1; n < group.length; n++) { var obj = group[n]; var list = obj.list; var length = list.length; var comment = ''; for (var i = 0; i < length; ++i) { var ev = list[i]; if ([108, 408].contains(ev.code)) comment += ev.parameters[0] + '\n'; } this.extraKeyConfigCommentTags(obj, comment); } }; DataManager.extraKeyConfigCommentTags = function(obj, comment) { obj.configKey = obj.name; obj.configText = obj.name; obj.configRequired = false; if (comment === '') return; if (!Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents) return; var notedata = comment.split(/[\r\n]+/); for (var i = 0; i < notedata.length; ++i) { var line = notedata[i]; if (line.match(/<(?:CONFIG KEY):[ ](.*)>/i)) { obj.configKey = String(RegExp.$1); } else if (line.match(/<(?:CONFIG TEXT):[ ](.*)>/i)) { obj.configText = String(RegExp.$1); } else if (line.match(/<(?:CONFIG REQUIRED)>/i)) { obj.configRequired = true; Yanfly.KeyConfig.RequiredCommonEvents.push(obj.id); } } }; //============================================================================= // Input //============================================================================= if (Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents) { Input._revertButton = function(button) { }; Input._switchButton = function(button) { }; }; // Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents //============================================================================= // ConfigManager //============================================================================= ConfigManager.keyMapper = JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(Input.keyMapper)); ConfigManager.defaultMap = JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(Input.keyMapper)); ConfigManager.wasdMap = { 9: 'tab', 13: 'ok', 16: 'shift', 17: 'control', 18: 'control', 27: 'escape', 32: 'ok', 33: 'pageup', 34: 'pagedown', 37: 'left', 38: 'up', 39: 'right', 40: 'down', 87: 'up', 65: 'left', 83: 'down', 68: 'right', 74: 'ok', 75: 'escape', 77: 'menu', 219: 'pageup', 221: 'pagedown', 45: 'escape', 46: 'ok', 35: 'escape', 36: 'menu', 96: 'escape', 98: 'down', 100: 'left', 102: 'right', 104: 'up', 120: 'debug' }; if (Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents) { if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['tilde'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[192] = 'tilde'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['1'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[49] = '1'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['2'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[50] = '2'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['3'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[51] = '3'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['4'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[52] = '4'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['5'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[53] = '5'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['6'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[54] = '6'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['7'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[55] = '7'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['8'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[56] = '8'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['9'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[57] = '9'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['0'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[48] = '0'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['minus'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[189] = 'minus'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['equal'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[187] = 'equal'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['q'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[81] = 'q'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['w'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[87] = 'w'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['e'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[69] = 'e'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['r'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[82] = 'r'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['t'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[84] = 't'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['y'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[89] = 'y'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['u'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[85] = 'u'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['i'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[73] = 'i'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['o'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[79] = 'o'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['p'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[80] = 'p'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['foreBrack'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[219] = 'foreBrack'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['backBrack'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[221] = 'backBrack'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['backSlash'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[220] = 'backSlash'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['a'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[65] = 'a'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['s'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[83] = 's'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['d'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[68] = 'd'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['f'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[70] = 'f'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['g'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[71] = 'g'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['h'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[72] = 'h'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['j'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[74] = 'j'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['k'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[75] = 'k'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['l'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[76] = 'l'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['semicolon'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[186] = 'semicolon'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['quote'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[222] = 'quote'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['enter'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[13] = 'enter'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['keyShift'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[16] = 'keyShift'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['z'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[90] = 'z'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['x'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[88] = 'x'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['c'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[67] = 'c'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['v'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[86] = 'v'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['b'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[66] = 'b'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['n'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[78] = 'n'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['m'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[77] = 'm'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['comma'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[188] = 'comma'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['period'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[190] = 'period'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['foreSlash'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[191] = 'foreSlash'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['space'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[32] = 'space'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['dirLeft'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[37] = 'dirLeft'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['dirUp'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[38] = 'dirUp'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['dirRight'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[39] = 'dirRight'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['dirDown'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[40] = 'dirDown'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['ins'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[45] = 'ins'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['del'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[46] = 'del'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['home'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[36] = 'home'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['end'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[35] = 'end'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['pageUp'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[33] = 'pageUp'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['pageDown'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[34] = 'pageDown'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num0'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[96] = 'num0'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num1'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[97] = 'num1'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num2'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[98] = 'num2'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num3'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[99] = 'num3'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num4'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[100] = 'num4'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num5'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[101] = 'num5'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num6'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[102] = 'num6'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num7'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[103] = 'num7'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num8'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[104] = 'num8'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['num9'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[105] = 'num9'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['numPeriod'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[110] = 'numPeriod'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['numPlus'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[107] = 'numPlus'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['numMinus'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[109] = 'numMinus'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['numTimes'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[106] = 'numTimes'; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList['numDivide'] !== 0) ConfigManager.wasdMap[111] = 'numDivide'; }; Yanfly.KeyConfig.ConfigManager_makeData = ConfigManager.makeData; ConfigManager.makeData = function() { var config = Yanfly.KeyConfig.ConfigManager_makeData.call(this); config.keyMapper = this.keyMapper; return config; }; Yanfly.KeyConfig.ConfigManager_applyData = ConfigManager.applyData; ConfigManager.applyData = function(config) { Yanfly.KeyConfig.ConfigManager_applyData.call(this, config); this.keyMapper = this.readKeyConfig(config, 'keyMapper'); this.applyKeyConfig(); }; ConfigManager.applyKeyConfig = function() { Input.keyMapper = this.keyMapper; Input.update(); Input.clear(); }; ConfigManager.readKeyConfig = function(config, name) { var value = config[name]; if (value !== undefined) { return value; } else { return JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(ConfigManager.defaultMap)); } }; //============================================================================= // Window_Options //============================================================================= Yanfly.KeyConfig.Window_Options_addGeneralOptions = Window_Options.prototype.addGeneralOptions; Window_Options.prototype.addGeneralOptions = function() { Yanfly.KeyConfig.Window_Options_addGeneralOptions.call(this); if (!Imported.YEP_OptionsCore) this.addKeyConfigCommand(); }; Window_Options.prototype.addKeyConfigCommand = function() { if (Utils.isMobileDevice()) return; this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigName, 'keyConfig', true); }; if (!Imported.YEP_OptionsCore) { Yanfly.KeyConfig.Window_Options_drawItem = Window_Options.prototype.drawItem; Window_Options.prototype.drawItem = function(index) { if (this.commandSymbol(index) === 'keyConfig') { var rect = this.itemRectForText(index); var text = this.commandName(index); this.resetTextColor(); this.changePaintOpacity(this.isCommandEnabled(index)); this.drawText(text, rect.x, rect.y, rect.width, 'left'); } else { Yanfly.KeyConfig.Window_Options_drawItem.call(this, index); } }; Yanfly.KeyConfig.Window_Options_processOk = Window_Options.prototype.processOk; Window_Options.prototype.processOk = function() { if (this.commandSymbol(this.index()) === 'keyConfig') { Window_Command.prototype.processOk.call(this); } else { Yanfly.KeyConfig.Window_Options_processOk.call(this); } }; }; // Imported.YEP_OptionsCore //============================================================================= // Window_KeyConfig //============================================================================= function Window_KeyConfig() { this.initialize.apply(this, arguments); }; Window_KeyConfig._keyLayout = [ '~', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', '0', '-', '=', ' ', 'Ins', 'Home', 'PgUp', ' ', '#pD/', '*', '#pD-', ' ', 'Q', 'W', 'E', 'R', 'T', 'Y', 'U', 'I', 'O', 'P', '[', ']', '\\', 'Del', 'End', 'PgDn', '#pD7', '#pD8', '#pD9', '+', ' ', 'A', 'S', 'D', 'F', 'G', 'H', 'J', 'K', 'L', ';', "'", 'Enter', 'Enter', ' ', ' ', ' ', '#pD4', '#pD5', '#pD6', '+', 'Shift', 'Shift', 'Z', 'X', 'C', 'V', 'B', 'N', 'M', ',', '.', '/', 'Shift', 'Shift', ' ', '↑', ' ', '#pD1', '#pD2', '#pD3', 'En', ' ', ' ', ' ', 'Space', 'Space', 'Space', 'Space', 'Space', 'Space', 'Space', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', '←', '↓', '→', '#pD0', '#pD0', '#pD.', 'En' ]; Window_KeyConfig._refId = { '~': 192, '0': 48, '1': 49, '2': 50, '3': 51, '4': 52, '5': 53, '6': 54, '7': 55, '8': 56, '9': 57, '-': 189, '=': 187, 'Ins': 45, 'Home': 36, 'PgUp': 33, '#pD/': 111, '*': 106, '#pD-': 109, 'Q': 81, 'W': 87, 'E': 69, 'R': 82, 'T': 84, 'Y': 89, 'U': 85, 'I': 73, 'O': 79, 'P': 80, '[': 219, ']': 221, '\\': 220, 'Del': 46, 'End': 35, 'PgDn': 34, '#pD7': 103, '#pD8': 104, '#pD9': 105, '+': 107, 'A': 65, 'S': 83, 'D': 68, 'F': 70, 'G': 71, 'H': 72, 'J': 74, 'K': 75, 'L': 76, ';': 186, "'": 222, 'Enter': 13, '#pD4': 100, '#pD5': 101, '#pD6': 102, 'Shift': 16, 'Z': 90, 'X': 88, 'C': 67, 'V': 86, 'B': 66, 'N': 78, 'M': 77, ',': 188, '.': 190, '/': 191, 'Shift': 16, '↑': 38, '#pD1': 97, '#pD2': 98, '#pD3': 99, 'En': 13, 'Space': 32, '←': 37, '↓': 40, '→': 39, '#pD0': 96, '#pD.': 110 }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype = Object.create(Window_Command.prototype); Window_KeyConfig.prototype.constructor = Window_KeyConfig; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.initialize = function(helpWindow) { var wy = helpWindow.height; Window_Command.prototype.initialize.call(this, 0, wy); this.setHelpWindow(helpWindow); this.height = Graphics.boxHeight - wy; this.refresh(); this.activate(); this.select(0); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.windowWidth = function() { return Graphics.boxWidth; }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.maxCols = function() { return 21; }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.spacing = function() { return 1; }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.itemHeight = function() { return this.lineHeight() * 2; }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.itemTextAlign = function() { return 'center'; }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.makeCommandList = function(index) { for (var i = 0; i < Window_KeyConfig._keyLayout.length; ++i) { var keyName = Window_KeyConfig._keyLayout[i]; var enabled = this.isKeyEnabled(keyName); this.addCommand(keyName, 'key', enabled); } this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDefaultTx, 'default', true); for (var i = 0; i < 6; ++i) this.addCommand(' ', 'default', true); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigWasdTx, 'wasd', true); for (var i = 0; i < 6; ++i) this.addCommand(' ', 'wasd', true); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigFinishTx, 'cancel', true); for (var i = 0; i < 6; ++i) this.addCommand(' ', 'cancel', true); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.isKeyEnabled = function(keyName) { return !([' ', 'Enter', 'En', '↑', '←', '↓', '→'].contains(keyName)); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.itemRect = function(index) { var rect = Window_Selectable.prototype.itemRect.call(this, index); var maxCols = this.maxCols(); if ([41, 62].contains(index)) { rect.y = Math.floor(41 / maxCols) * rect.height - this._scrollY; rect.height = this.itemHeight() * 2; } else if ([54, 55].contains(index)) { rect.x = 54 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 2 - this.spacing(); } else if ([63, 64].contains(index)) { rect.x = 63 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 2 - this.spacing(); } else if ([75, 76].contains(index)) { rect.x = 75 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 2 - this.spacing(); } else if ([83, 104].contains(index)) { rect.y = Math.floor(83 / maxCols) * rect.height - this._scrollY; rect.height = this.itemHeight() * 2; } else if ([87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93].contains(index)) { rect.x = 87 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 7 - this.spacing(); } else if ([101, 102].contains(index)) { rect.x = 101 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 2 - this.spacing(); } else if ([105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111].contains(index)) { rect.x = 105 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 7 - this.spacing(); } else if ([112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118].contains(index)) { rect.x = 112 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 7 - this.spacing(); } else if ([119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125].contains(index)) { rect.x = 119 % maxCols * (rect.width + this.spacing()) - this._scrollX; rect.width = (this.itemWidth() + this.spacing()) * 7 - this.spacing(); } rect.y += Math.max(0, (this.contents.height - this.lineHeight() * 12) / 2); return rect; }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.leaveEmpty = function(index) { return [55, 56, 57, 58, 62, 64, 76, 77, 79, 84, 85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 102, 104, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125].contains(index); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.drawItem = function(index) { if (this.leaveEmpty(index)) return; this.drawItemRect(index); this.drawItemKey(index); this.drawItemAction(index); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.drawItemRect = function(index) { var rect = this.itemRect(index); var color = this.getRectColor(index); this.drawRect(rect.x+1, rect.y+1, rect.width-2, rect.height-2, color); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.getRectColor = function(index) { if (index > 104) return this.gaugeBackColor(); var key = Window_KeyConfig._refId[this.commandName(index)]; var action = Input.keyMapper[key]; if (action !== undefined) { return this.textColor(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigAssignColor); } else { return this.gaugeBackColor(); } }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.drawRect = function(dx, dy, dw, dh, color) { this.changePaintOpacity(false); this.contents.fillRect(dx, dy, dw, dh, color); this.changePaintOpacity(true); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.drawItemKey = function(index) { this.resetFontSettings(); this.contents.fontSize -= 8; this.resetTextColor(); this.changePaintOpacity(true); var rect = this.itemRectForText(index); var align = this.itemTextAlign(); this.drawText(this.visualName(index), rect.x, rect.y, rect.width, align); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.visualName = function(index) { var text = this._list[index].name; text = text.replace(/#pD/gi, '' ); return text; }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.drawItemAction = function(index) { var key = Window_KeyConfig._refId[this.commandName(index)]; var action = Input.keyMapper[key]; if (action === undefined) return; this.resetFontSettings(); this.contents.fontSize -= 8; var color = this.textColor(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigActionColor); this.changeTextColor(color); this.changePaintOpacity(true); var rect = this.itemRectForText(index); rect.y += this.lineHeight(); var align = this.itemTextAlign(); this.drawText(this.actionKey(action), rect.x, rect.y, rect.width, align); }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.actionKey = function(action) { switch(action) { case 'ok': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigOkKey; break; case 'escape': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEscKey; break; case 'cancel': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigCancelKey; break; case 'menu': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigMenuKey; break; case 'shift': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigShiftKey; break; case 'pageup': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageUpKey; break; case 'pagedown': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageDnKey; break; case 'left': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigLeftKey; break; case 'up': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigUpKey; break; case 'right': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigRightKey; break; case 'down': return Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDownKey; break; default: if (Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents) { if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList[action]) { var id = Yanfly.Param.BCEList[action]; var ev = $dataCommonEvents[id]; return ev.configKey; } } return ''; break; } }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.cursorDown = function(wrap) { var index = this.index(); if (index >= 105) { this.select(index - 104); } else if ([41, 62].contains(index)) { this.select(83); } else if ([83, 104].contains(index)) { this.select(125); } else { Window_Command.prototype.cursorDown.call(this, wrap); } }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.cursorUp = function(wrap) { var index = this.index(); if (index === 0) { this.select(125); } else if (index <= 20) { this.select(index + 104); } else if ([41, 62].contains(index)) { this.select(20); } else if ([83, 104].contains(index)) { this.select(41); } else { Window_Command.prototype.cursorUp.call(this, wrap); } }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.cursorRight = function(wrap) { var index = this.index(); if ([54, 55].contains(index)) { this.select(56); } else if ([63, 64].contains(index)) { this.select(65); } else if ([75, 76].contains(index)) { this.select(77); } else if ([87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93].contains(index)) { this.select(94); } else if ([101, 102].contains(index)) { this.select(103); } else if ([105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111].contains(index)) { this.select(112); } else if ([112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118].contains(index)) { this.select(119); } else if ([119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125].contains(index)) { this.select(0); } else { Window_Command.prototype.cursorRight.call(this, wrap); } }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.cursorLeft = function(wrap) { var index = this.index(); if (index === 0) { this.select(125); } else if ([54, 55].contains(index)) { this.select(53); } else if ([63, 64].contains(index)) { this.select(62); } else if ([75, 76].contains(index)) { this.select(74); } else if ([87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93].contains(index)) { this.select(86); } else if ([101, 102].contains(index)) { this.select(100); } else if ([105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111].contains(index)) { this.select(104); } else if ([112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118].contains(index)) { this.select(111); } else if ([119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125].contains(index)) { this.select(118); } else { Window_Command.prototype.cursorLeft.call(this, wrap); } }; Window_KeyConfig.prototype.updateHelp = function() { if (!this._helpWindow) return; switch (this.currentSymbol()) { case 'key': this._helpWindow.setText(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigKeyHelp); break; case 'default': this._helpWindow.setText(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDefaultHelp); break; case 'wasd': this._helpWindow.setText(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigWasdHelp); break; case 'cancel': this._helpWindow.setText(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigFinishHelp); break; default: this._helpWindow.clear(); break; } }; //============================================================================= // Window_KeyAction //============================================================================= function Window_KeyAction() { this.initialize.apply(this, arguments); }; Window_KeyAction.prototype = Object.create(Window_Command.prototype); Window_KeyAction.prototype.constructor = Window_KeyAction; Window_KeyAction.prototype.initialize = function() { Window_Command.prototype.initialize.call(this, 0, 0); this.x = (Graphics.boxWidth - this.width) / 2; this.y = (Graphics.boxHeight - this.height) / 2; this.openness = 0; this.deactivate(); }; Window_KeyAction.prototype.windowWidth = function() { return Graphics.boxWidth / 2; }; Window_KeyAction.prototype.windowHeight = function() { var value = this.fittingHeight(this.numVisibleRows()) return Math.min(value, Graphics.boxHeight); }; Window_KeyAction.prototype.makeCommandList = function() { this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigClearTx, 'ok', true, 'clear'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigOkTx, 'ok', true, 'ok'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEscTx, 'ok', true, 'escape'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigCancelTx, 'ok', true, 'cancel'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigMenuTx, 'ok', true, 'menu'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigShiftTx, 'ok', true, 'shift'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageUpTx, 'ok', true, 'pageup'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigPageDnTx, 'ok', true, 'pagedown'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigLeftTx, 'ok', true, 'left'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigUpTx, 'ok', true, 'up'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigRightTx, 'ok', true, 'right'); this.addCommand(Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigDownTx, 'ok', true, 'down'); if (Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents) this.addButtonCommonEvents(); }; Window_KeyAction.prototype.addButtonCommonEvents = function() { var length = Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv.length; for (var i = 0 ; i < length; ++i) { var eventId = Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigEv[i]; if (Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigKeys[eventId]) { var ev = $dataCommonEvents[eventId]; var key = Yanfly.Param.KeyConfigKeys[eventId]; var text = ev.configText; this.addCommand(text, 'ok', true, key); } } }; //============================================================================= // Scene_Options //============================================================================= Yanfly.KeyConfig.Scene_Options_createOptionsWindow = Scene_Options.prototype.createOptionsWindow; Scene_Options.prototype.createOptionsWindow = function() { Yanfly.KeyConfig.Scene_Options_createOptionsWindow.call(this); this._optionsWindow.setHandler('keyConfig', this.commandKeyConfig.bind(this)); }; Scene_Options.prototype.commandKeyConfig = function() { SceneManager.push(Scene_KeyConfig); }; //============================================================================= // Scene_KeyConfig //============================================================================= function Scene_KeyConfig() { this.initialize.apply(this, arguments); } Scene_KeyConfig.prototype = Object.create(Scene_MenuBase.prototype); Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.constructor = Scene_KeyConfig; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.initialize = function() { Scene_MenuBase.prototype.initialize.call(this); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.create = function() { Scene_MenuBase.prototype.create.call(this); this.createHelpWindow(); this.createKeyConfigWindow(); this.createKeyActionWindow(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate = function() { Scene_MenuBase.prototype.terminate.call(this); ConfigManager.save(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.refreshWindows = function() { this._configWindow.refresh(); this._configWindow.activate(); ConfigManager.save(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.createKeyConfigWindow = function() { this._configWindow = new Window_KeyConfig(this._helpWindow); this._configWindow.setHandler('default', this.commandDefault.bind(this)); this._configWindow.setHandler('wasd', this.commandWasd.bind(this)); this._configWindow.setHandler('cancel', this.commandExit.bind(this)); this._configWindow.setHandler('key', this.commandKey.bind(this)); this.addWindow(this._configWindow); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.createKeyActionWindow = function() { this._actionWindow = new Window_KeyAction(); this._actionWindow.setHandler('ok', this.onActionOk.bind(this)); this._actionWindow.setHandler('cancel', this.onActionCancel.bind(this)); this.addWindow(this._actionWindow); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.commandDefault = function() { ConfigManager.keyMapper = JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(ConfigManager.defaultMap)); ConfigManager.applyKeyConfig(); this.refreshWindows(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.commandWasd = function() { ConfigManager.keyMapper = JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(ConfigManager.wasdMap)); ConfigManager.applyKeyConfig(); this.refreshWindows(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.commandKey = function() { this._actionWindow.select(0); this._actionWindow.open(); this._actionWindow.activate(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.onActionCancel = function() { this._actionWindow.close(); this._actionWindow.deactivate(); this._configWindow.activate(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.onActionOk = function() { var action = this._actionWindow.currentExt(); var name = this._configWindow.commandName(this._configWindow.index()); var key = Window_KeyConfig._refId[name]; if (action === 'clear') { ConfigManager.keyMapper[key] = undefined; } else { ConfigManager.keyMapper[key] = action; } SoundManager.playEquip(); ConfigManager.applyKeyConfig(); this.onActionCancel(); this.refreshWindows(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.commandExit = function() { if (!this.canExit()) { SoundManager.playBuzzer(); this._configWindow.activate(); return; } this.popScene(); }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.canExit = function() { if (!Imported.YEP_ButtonCommonEvents) return true; for (var i = 0; i < Yanfly.KeyConfig.RequiredCommonEvents.length; ++i) { var commonEventId = Yanfly.KeyConfig.RequiredCommonEvents[i]; if (!this.isCommonEventBound(commonEventId)) return false; } return true; }; Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.isCommonEventBound = function(id) { var length = Window_KeyConfig._keyLayout.length; for (var i = 0; i < length; ++i) { var key = Window_KeyConfig._refId[this._configWindow.commandName(i)]; var action = Input.keyMapper[key]; if (Yanfly.Param.BCEList[action] === id) return true; } return false; }; //============================================================================= // End of File //=============================================================================

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can find Input.keyMapper in rpg_core.js. This object is used to convert key codes, e.g. 90, to game inputs, e.g. "ok". To go the other way (input -> key code), you will need to loop through the available keys and pick one with an appropriate value, e.g.
JavaScript:
var a = 'ok', c = 0, M = Input.keyMapper; 'keyPic_' + (Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) { return M[k] === a ? c = k : false; }), c)
Here I've compressed the loop into a single line in case that's helpful. It searches the assigned key codes from highest to lowest; if/when it finds one assigned to input a (in this case "ok"), the key code is stored in variable c and the loop ends. The result is a string, e.g. "keyPic_90"; if the key is not found then the result will be "keyPic_undefined". You can try it out in the console, hopefully it'll work OK in your HUD plugin~ :kaothx:

Note that there is a separate gamepadMapper object for controller input, which works in a similar way.

Mechanically, Yanfly's Keyboard Config plugin just reassigns the game's keyMapper, i.e. finding a key assigned to an action should be the same process with or without that plugin.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can find Input.keyMapper in rpg_core.js. This object is used to convert key codes, e.g. 90, to game inputs, e.g. "ok". To go the other way (input -> key code), you will need to loop through the available keys and pick one with an appropriate value, e.g.
JavaScript:
var a = 'ok', c = 0, M = Input.keyMapper; 'keyPic_' + (Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) { return M[k] === a ? c = k : false; }), c)
Here I've compressed the loop into a single line in case that's helpful. It searches the assigned key codes from highest to lowest; if/when it finds one assigned to input a (in this case "ok"), the key code is stored in variable c and the loop ends. The result is a string, e.g. "keyPic_90"; if the key is not found then the result will be "keyPic_undefined". You can try it out in the console, hopefully it'll work OK in your HUD plugin~ :kaothx:

Note that there is a separate gamepadMapper object for controller input, which works in a similar way.

Mechanically, Yanfly's Keyboard Config plugin just reassigns the game's keyMapper, i.e. finding a key assigned to an action should be the same process with or without that plugin.

Thank you for offering such an elegant solution! This was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, so this is an excellent start. I also really appreciate the fact that it's only going to return one value per key, instead of an entire array. Couple of questions, or hoping you can steer me in the right direction:

The keyboard buttons on the HUD are actually blank keys and the text of the letter they're assigned to is drawn on top (instead of importing a different .png file for each separate key).

So using your code, taking the value of c (our key input value), I can use conditional branches to assign the string name of each letter accordingly. Using this method I've shown below seems kinda clumsy, because I'll have to go through an assign the 'name' of each key code manually, but I was wondering if you have any other suggestions.

Code:
if (c == 90) {
$gameVariables.setValue(151,'Z');
}

if (c == 32) {
$gameVariables.setValue(151,'Space');
}

if (c == 13) {
$gameVariables.setValue(151,'Enter');
}

I don't mind doing the work, but I imagine there's gotta be an easier way (especially since Yanfly's keyboard config script is already doing the work of figuring out which letter to assign each key code)

I was also wondering, where would be the best place to place this code? I'm skipping the title screen entirely, so I can easily run this code upon the start of the game, but that wouldn't update when they player changes key binds. I'm also just realizing that $gameVaraibles are specific to each individual save file, and the controls inputs are universal between all save files.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Which HUD plugin are you using? Is there a reason you're trying to store values in game variables rather than simply referencing them via a script eval? :kaoswt:

If you need to reference a game variable value then I think it'd be best to set the variable value whenever the map scene starts, since the options are (typically) configured on a separate scene. That would require a plugin, e.g.
JavaScript:
(function(alias) {
  Scene_Map.prototype.start = function() {
    alias.apply(this, arguments);               // do default stuff
    $gameVariables.setValue(151, /* value */);  // then set variable value
  };
})(Scene_Map.prototype.start);
Note that you'd need to manually update the values if/when the key config changes while on the map.

Looks like Yanfly's plugin has a key name -> key code mapper (Window_KeyConfig._refId), so I guess you could use that for lookups. Since you want code -> name, I think you'd need to either:
  1. Loop through the name -> code map for every lookup, e.g.
    • JavaScript:
      var a = 'ok', r = 0, M = Input.keyMapper, N = Window_KeyConfig._refId;
      Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) { return M[k] === a ? r = k : false; }),  // code
      Object.keys(N).some(function(k) { return N[k] === r ? r = k : false }), r           // name

2. ...or construct the inverse map once and reference that for lookups, e.g.
    • Make inverse map on game boot (e.g. by aliasing Scene_Boot#start like in the example above):
      JavaScript:
      var w = Window_KeyConfig, I = w._refIdInv = {}, N = w._refId;
      Object.keys(N).forEach(function(k) { I[N[k]] = k; });     // key <-> value into new object
    • Use that inverse map for key code -> key name:
      JavaScript:
      var a = 'ok', r = 0, M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;
      Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) { return M[k] === a ? r = k : false; }),  // code
      I[r]                                                                                // name
I haven't tested these snippets but hopefully they work. Sorry if my code is hard to read... :kaoslp:

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Which HUD plugin are you using? Is there a reason you're trying to store values in game variables rather than simply referencing them via a script eval? :kaoswt:

If you need to reference a game variable value then I think it'd be best to set the variable value whenever the map scene starts, since the options are (typically) configured on a separate scene. That would require a plugin, e.g.
JavaScript:
(function(alias) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  Scene_Map.prototype.start = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    alias.apply(this, arguments);               // do default stuff[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    $gameVariables.setValue(151, /* value */);  // then set variable value[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]})(Scene_Map.prototype.start);
Note that you'd need to manually update the values if/when the key config changes while on the map.

Looks like Yanfly's plugin has a key name -> key code mapper (Window_KeyConfig._refId), so I guess you could use that for lookups. Since you want code -> name, I think you'd need to either:
  1. Loop through the name -> code map for every lookup, e.g.
    • JavaScript:
      var a = 'ok', r = 0, M = Input.keyMapper, N = Window_KeyConfig._refId;
      Object.keys(N).some(function(k) { return N[k] === r ? r = k : false }), r           // name

2. ...or construct the inverse map once and reference that for lookups, e.g.
    • Make inverse map on game boot (e.g. by aliasing Scene_Boot#start like in the example above):
      JavaScript:
      Object.keys(N).forEach(function(k) { I[N[k]] = k; });     // key <-> value into new object
    • Use that inverse map for key code -> key name:
      JavaScript:
      var a = 'ok', r = 0, M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;
      I[r]                                                                                // name
I haven't tested these snippets but hopefully they work. Sorry if my code is hard to read... :kaoslp:

Wow, I gotta say I'm impressed as usual. I tried the second option you provided and it seems to be working as planned. It was a bit hard to follow, but I think I understand the gist of what's going on between these functions, as you explained it well. More importantly, the results produce the Key Name as desired, so we're on the right track for sure.

I'm currently using SRD's HUD creator to make the on-screen HUD. The HUD maker accepts single line script evals, which is very limited. That's why I was trying to assign the Input Key Name to a $gameVariable first. Maybe I don't need to store the value into a $gameVariable and perhaps there's an easier way to do it, but I'm also going to be referencing the Input Key Names from other menus as well for additional tool tips.
Menu.pngThe buttons icons hovering over the equipped items on the Item Menu will dynamically change to reflect which input you have the item bound to, as well as the tool tips below the menu will change to reflect your chosen key binds.

So after more thought, I think it'll actually be best to assign these key names in two sections:
Once at bootup, as suggested.
Once more when the Yanfly Keyboard Config Menu is exited. That way the menu tool tips will be updated and the HUD values will also be updated without the player needing to go back to the Map first. Also note that the HUD in the upper right corner is still visible while the player is in the menu, so I'll want to update these prompts right after they leave the Yanfly Keybind menu, which covers the entire screen:

Keyboard Bind.png

I'm very excited to continue working on this, but this has been an excellent start and much further that I would have ever gotten on my own. I'm going to keep working on this throughout the week, so please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thank you for the help, I will keep you posted on my progress! :kaojoy:

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I see! Using something like $gameVariables to store the key names is probably a good idea. The scripts I've provided can be reduced to a single line (just remove the linebreaks) and used directly as an eval. However, it's better to run them once when the scene starts and store the result like you suggest, else I think the HUD will try to evaluate them every frame... :kaoback:

By default there is only ever one active scene. When going to a new scene (e.g. Scene_Map, Scene_Menu, or Yanfly's Scene_KeyConfig) the current scene is "terminated" and the new scene "starts".

If you can get to the inventory (or other relevant displays) without visiting the map scene, then yes, you'll need to set the key names at another point. You can try hooking into the key config scene's terminate method, e.g.
JavaScript:
(function() {
'use strict';

// update all relevant variables with current key names
  var setAllKeyNames = function() {
    setKeyName(151, 'ok');      // key name for "ok" into $gameVariable #151
    setKeyName(152, 'cancel');  // key name for "cancel" into $gameVariable #152
    /* etc */
  };

// update specified variable with specified action's key name
  var setKeyName = function(varId, inputName) {
    $gameVariables.setValue(varId, getKeyName(inputName));
  };

// get key name for specified action
  var getKeyName = function(actionName) {
    var r = 0, M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;
    Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) {
      return M[k] === actionName ? r = k : false;
    });           // get key code
    return I[r];  // return key name
  };

// do stuff on game boot
  (function(alias) {
    Scene_Boot.prototype.start = function() {
      alias.apply(this, arguments);
      // make key code -> key name map by inverting Yanfly's
      Object.keys(N).forEach(function(k) { I[N[k]] = k; });
      // update key name variables
      setAllKeyNames();
    };
  })(Scene_Boot.prototype.start);

// do stuff when closing the config scene
  (function(alias) {
    Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate = function() {
      alias.apply(this, arguments);  // default
      setAllKeyNames();              // update key name variables
    };
  })(Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate);

})();
I haven't tested it, but hopefully it works~

The game looks pretty good so far, hope development goes well! :kaojoy:

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see! Using something like $gameVariables to store the key names is probably a good idea. The scripts I've provided can be reduced to a single line (just remove the linebreaks) and used directly as an eval. However, it's better to run them once when the scene starts and store the result like you suggest, else I think the HUD will try to evaluate them every frame... :kaoback:

By default there is only ever one active scene. When going to a new scene (e.g. Scene_Map, Scene_Menu, or Yanfly's Scene_KeyConfig) the current scene is "terminated" and the new scene "starts".

If you can get to the inventory (or other relevant displays) without visiting the map scene, then yes, you'll need to set the key names at another point. You can try hooking into the key config scene's terminate method, e.g.
JavaScript:
(function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]'use strict';[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // update all relevant variables with current key names[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  var setAllKeyNames = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    setKeyName(151, 'ok');      // key name for "ok" into $gameVariable #151[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    setKeyName(152, 'cancel');  // key name for "cancel" into $gameVariable #152[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    /* etc */[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // update specified variable with specified action's key name[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  var setKeyName = function(varId, inputName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    $gameVariables.setValue(varId, getKeyName(inputName));[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // get key name for specified action[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  var getKeyName = function(actionName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    var r = 0, M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      return M[k] === actionName ? r = k : false;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    });           // get key code[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    return I[r];  // return key name[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // do stuff on game boot[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  (function(alias) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    Scene_Boot.prototype.start = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      alias.apply(this, arguments);[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      // make key code -> key name map by inverting Yanfly's[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      var w = Window_KeyConfig, I = w._refIdInv = {}, N = w._refId;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      Object.keys(N).forEach(function(k) { I[N[k]] = k; });[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      // update key name variables[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      setAllKeyNames();[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  })(Scene_Boot.prototype.start);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // do stuff when closing the config scene[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      alias.apply(this, arguments);  // default[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      setAllKeyNames();              // update key name variables[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  })(Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]})();
I haven't tested it, but hopefully it works~

The game looks pretty good so far, hope development goes well! :kaojoy:
I was thinking the same thing originally with trying to cram it all into a single line of code, but it was throwing errors in the SRD HUD Maker, so I figured it'd be easier to define the value once. You made a good point about not wanting to check this every frame, that could very well be part of why I was getting an error.

I tried your plugin and it seems to be working flawlessly! It's updating at the start of a new game and after exiting the Keyboard Config menu, which is exactly what I was aiming for. I'm going to be spending the day tomorrow working this into the HUD and menus, so I'll let you know how it goes. There were a couple of quirks I noticed as well, if you don't mind taking a look:

Yanfly's plugin key mapper puts a '#pD' in front of the key names on the keys on the numpad, in order to separate the binds associated with the number keys on top of the keyboard (this includes certain symbol keys on the numpad like / . - ). There's another part of the code that will essentially removes this '#pD' part of the string before displaying the name. I was wondering if we could incorporate this code into the plugin:

Code:
Window_KeyConfig.prototype.visualName = function(index) {
    var text = this._list[index].name;
        text = text.replace(/#pD/gi, '' );
        return text;
};

I'm also realizing the player will run into errors when loading a save file after changing the controls. For example, if the player is playing with key binds set at default, saves the game, the variables are saved to that save slot. Which means, if the player were to change to WASD movement, then load their save file, the variables will still be showing the default HUD controls from when the player last saved, instead of the newly assigned WASD controls, which could lead to some confusion.

Would it also be possible to assign the key names once after a Load save file, similar to how we are doing in Scene_Boot?

You have been a tremendous help, I am going to make sure you get a well-deserved spot in my credits. Thank you for again for the help and thanks for the kinds words about the project. You're getting me one step closer to demo launch day.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The numpad thing can be done by simply passing the return value of getKeyName through a string (i.e. text) replacer, e.g.
JavaScript:
return String(I[r]).replace(/#pD/gi, '');
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, though...if the bind is "numpad 0", wouldn't showing just a "0" cause confusion? Yanfly's plugin distinguishes the two by location on the screen, not sure what the best solution is for your use. Maybe replace it with 'n' or something, rather than just '' (blank string)? :kaoswt:

Would it also be possible to assign the key names once after a Load save file, similar to how we are doing in Scene_Boot?
Good point! I think this also applies when starting a new game. Here's an updated example:
JavaScript:
/*:
 * @plugindesc Update game variables with key names for specific inputs.
 * @author Caethyril
 * @help Load this plugin after YEP_KeyboardConfig.
 * Free to use and modify!
 */

(function() {
'use strict';

const setAllKeyNames = function() {
		setKeyName(151, 'ok');		// key name for "ok" into $gameVariable #151
		setKeyName(152, 'escape');  // key name for "escape" into $gameVariable #152
		/* etc */
	};

const setKeyName = function(varId, inputName) {
	};

const getKeyName = function(inputName) {
		let r = 0;
		const M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;
			return M[k] === inputName ? r = k : false;
		});							 // get key code
		return formatKeyName(I[r]);	 // return key name
	};

// In case you want to replace stuff 
	const formatKeyName = function(keyName) {
	//  return String(keyName);   // no replacement
		return String(keyName).replace(/#pD/, 'n');  // replace "#pD" with "n"
	};

// do stuff on game boot
	(function(alias) {
			const w = Window_KeyConfig, I = w._refIdInv = {}, N = w._refId;
			// now do the normal stuff (includes setupNewGame)
		};

(function(alias) {
			alias.apply(this, arguments);   // default
			setAllKeyNames();			    // update key name variables
		};

// same thing on new game
	(function(alias) {
		DataManager.setupNewGame = function() {
			setAllKeyNames();
		};
	})(DataManager.setupNewGame);

// ...and on successful load game
	(function(alias) {
		DataManager.loadGame = function() {
			const res = alias.apply(this, arguments);
			if (res) setAllKeyNames();
			return res;
		};
	})(DataManager.loadGame);

})();
I included a simple header (for visible Plugin Manager info) and added a formatKeyName function in case you want to play around with numpad name substitutions. Again, I haven't tested this, but I think it'll work~

[Edit: corrected a typo in the code.]
[Edit 2: updated plugin code again, see following posts for details~]
[Edit 3: DataManager.loadGame now returns a value like it should.]

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The numpad thing can be done by simply passing the return value of getKeyName through a string (i.e. text) replacer, e.g.
JavaScript:
return String(I[r]).replace(/#pD/gi, '');
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, though...if the bind is "numpad 0", wouldn't showing just a "0" cause confusion? Yanfly's plugin distinguishes the two by location on the screen, not sure what the best solution is for your use. Maybe replace it with 'n' or something, rather than just '' (blank string)? :kaoswt:

Good point! I think this also applies when starting a new game. Here's an updated example:
JavaScript:
/*:[/INDENT]
[INDENT]* @plugindesc Update game variables with key names for specific inputs.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]* @author Caethyril[/INDENT]
[INDENT]* @help Free to use and modify![/INDENT]
[INDENT]*/[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT](function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // update all relevant variables with current key names[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  const setAllKeyNames = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    setKeyName(151, 'ok');      // key name for "ok" into $gameVariable #151[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    setKeyName(152, 'cancel');  // key name for "cancel" into $gameVariable #152[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    /* etc */[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // update specified variable with specified action's key name[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  const setKeyName = function(varId, inputName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    $gameVariables.setValue(varId, getKeyName(inputName));[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // get key name for specified action[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  const getKeyName = function(inputName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    let r = 0;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    const M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      return M[k] === actionName ? r = k : false;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    });                          // get key code[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    return formatKeyName(I[r]);  // return key name[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // In case you want to replace stuff[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  const formatKeyName = function(keyName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]// return String(keyName).replace(/#pD/, '');  // remove #pD prefix[/INDENT]
[INDENT]   return String(keyName);[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // do stuff on game boot[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    Scene_Boot.prototype.start = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      // make key code -> key name map by inverting Yanfly's[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      const w = Window_KeyConfig, I = w._refIdInv = {}, N = w._refId;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      Object.keys(N).forEach(function(k) { I[N[k]] = k; });[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      // update key name variables[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  })(Scene_Boot.prototype.start);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // do stuff when closing the config scene[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      alias.apply(this, arguments);  // default[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      setAllKeyNames();              // update key name variables[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  })(Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // same thing on new game[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    DataManager.setupNewGame = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  })(DataManager.setupNewGame);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]  // ...and on successful load game[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    DataManager.loadGame = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]      if (alias.apply(this, arguments)) setAllKeyNames();[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]  })(DataManager.loadGame);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]})();
I included a simple header (for visible Plugin Manager info) and added a formatKeyName function in case you want to play around with numpad name substitutions. Again, I haven't tested this, but I think it'll work~
You make a good point about differentiating the number keys on top from the numpad keys, so perhaps I'll put 'Num', or a '#' sign in front instead. My original idea behind avoiding this was to make sure the key name text fits properly on the button images. Neither of the default control layouts use the number keys, so I feel like the player would be less likely to get confused by this, because they'd be responsible for changing the key binds themselves.

So I tried your revised version of the plugin, but unfortunately I'm getting errors:
Error1.png

Error2.png

I tried to turn off DK Skip Title to see if that was causing issues, but I get the same results (I checked their script and it aliases the Scene_Boot as well.) I also tried moving the plugin above all my others, as well below to see if anything changes, but still results in the same message.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oops, sorry! My mistake. :kaoslp:

I just corrected it (see post #8 again), or you can correct it yourself by replacing this line:
JavaScript:
...with this:
JavaScript:
(It's because I renamed the argument of getKeyName to match that of setKeyName, but I forgot to rename the argument where it was referenced inside the getKeyName method.)

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oops, sorry! My mistake. :kaoslp:

I just corrected it (see post #8 again), or you can correct it yourself by replacing this line:
JavaScript:
...with this:
JavaScript:
(It's because I renamed the argument of getKeyName to match that of setKeyName, but I forgot to rename the argument where it was referenced inside the getKeyName method.)
Thanks for taking a look! Unfortunately, it's throwing a new error now:

Property 90 is in reference to the 'Z' key, or 'ok' Input.
Error1.pngError2.png

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh, wow. :kaoback:

OK, so I did a full test this time with Yanfly's plugin, it seems to be working as intended all the way down to setting the variable values (checked via debug menu, F9 during test while on the map). Here's the working version (I'll edit this into my earlier post as well):
JavaScript:
/*:
 * @plugindesc Update game variables with key names for specific inputs.
 * @author Caethyril
 * @help Load this plugin after YEP_KeyboardConfig.
 * Free to use and modify!
 */

(function() {
'use strict';

const setAllKeyNames = function() {
		setKeyName(151, 'ok');		// key name for "ok" into $gameVariable #151
		setKeyName(152, 'escape');  // key name for "escape" into $gameVariable #152
		/* etc */
	};

const setKeyName = function(varId, inputName) {
	};

const getKeyName = function(inputName) {
		let r = 0;
		const M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;
		});							 // get key code
		return formatKeyName(I[r]);	 // return key name
	};

// In case you want to replace stuff 
	const formatKeyName = function(keyName) {
	//  return String(keyName);   // no replacement
		return String(keyName).replace(/#pD/, 'n');  // replace "#pD" with "n"
	};

// do stuff on game boot
	(function(alias) {
			const w = Window_KeyConfig, I = w._refIdInv = {}, N = w._refId;
			// now do the normal stuff (includes setupNewGame)
		};

(function(alias) {
			alias.apply(this, arguments);   // default
			setAllKeyNames();			    // update key name variables
		};

// same thing on new game
	(function(alias) {
		DataManager.setupNewGame = function() {
			setAllKeyNames();
		};
	})(DataManager.setupNewGame);

// ...and on successful load game
	(function(alias) {
		DataManager.loadGame = function() {
			const res = alias.apply(this, arguments);
			if (res) setAllKeyNames();
			return res;
		};
	})(DataManager.loadGame);

})();
The error was because the lookup table wasn't being defined early enough: I had forgotten that Scene_Boot sets up a new game when it starts, to initialise everything. The lookup table is now created before the default Scene_Boot#start code, rather than after like I had it originally. :kaophew:

[Edit: added a return value to the loadGame method... :kaoslp:]

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh, wow. :kaoback:

OK, so I did a full test this time with Yanfly's plugin, it seems to be working as intended all the way down to setting the variable values (checked via debug menu, F9 during test while on the map). Here's the working version (I'll edit this into my earlier post as well):
JavaScript:
/*:[/INDENT]
[INDENT]* @plugindesc Update game variables with key names for specific inputs.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]* @author Caethyril[/INDENT]
[INDENT]* @help Load this plugin after YEP_KeyboardConfig.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]*[/INDENT]
[INDENT]* Free to use and modify![/INDENT]
[INDENT]*/[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT](function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // update all relevant variables with current key names[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    const setAllKeyNames = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        setKeyName(151, 'ok');        // key name for "ok" into $gameVariable #151[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        setKeyName(152, 'escape');  // key name for "escape" into $gameVariable #152[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        /* etc */[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // update specified variable with specified action's key name[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    const setKeyName = function(varId, inputName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        $gameVariables.setValue(varId, getKeyName(inputName));[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // get key name for specified action[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    const getKeyName = function(inputName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        let r = 0;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        const M = Input.keyMapper, I = Window_KeyConfig._refIdInv;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        Object.keys(M).reverse().some(function(k) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            return M[k] === inputName ? r = k : false;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        });                             // get key code[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        return formatKeyName(I[r]);     // return key name[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // In case you want to replace stuff[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    const formatKeyName = function(keyName) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    //  return String(keyName);   // no replacement[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        return String(keyName).replace(/#pD/, 'n');  // replace "#pD" with "n"[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    };[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // do stuff on game boot[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    (function(alias) {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        Scene_Boot.prototype.start = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            // make key code -> key name map by inverting Yanfly's[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            const w = Window_KeyConfig, I = w._refIdInv = {}, N = w._refId;[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            Object.keys(N).forEach(function(k) { I[N[k]] = k; });[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            // now do the normal stuff (includes setupNewGame)[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            alias.apply(this, arguments);[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        };[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    })(Scene_Boot.prototype.start);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // do stuff when closing the config scene[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            alias.apply(this, arguments);   // default[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            setAllKeyNames();                // update key name variables[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    })(Scene_KeyConfig.prototype.terminate);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // same thing on new game[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        DataManager.setupNewGame = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            alias.apply(this, arguments);[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            setAllKeyNames();[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    })(DataManager.setupNewGame);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]    // ...and on successful load game[/INDENT]
[INDENT]        DataManager.loadGame = function() {[/INDENT]
[INDENT]            if (alias.apply(this, arguments)) setAllKeyNames();[/INDENT]
[INDENT]    })(DataManager.loadGame);[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]})();
The error was because the lookup table wasn't being defined early enough: I had forgotten that Scene_Boot sets up a new game when it starts, to initialise everything. The lookup table is now created before the default Scene_Boot#start code, rather than after like I had it originally. :kaophew:
You are amazing my friend! Just wanted to report back and let you know that everything is working proper now. I was getting errors with the Load Game alias in your plugin (no error on your end, just an incompatibility with one of my other plugins which combines the Save and Load scenes in SceneFile.) I was able to work around this though by circling back to your other suggestion about aliasing the MapScene and sure enough that took care of the issue. Now the buttons properly update after loading a save file too. :kaojoy:

The other cool part about your plugin, is now keys will return 'undefined' instead of returning '0' if the player manages to clear and remove that particular input from all the keys. I may eventually go back and look at preventing players from removing a key bind if it's not set to at least one other key, but that's going a little further down the rabbit hole than I care to venture for now lol.

I still have to take time to implement this code into my HUD and other menus, so wish me luck! I got the HUD done last night, which updates all the keys proper, just working on the other tool tips now.

I really can't thank you enough! I'm going to keep this open for now in case other questions arise. I'll pop back once I'm done for anyone interested in seeing the finished product.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yay! :kaojoy:
I was getting errors with the Load Game alias in your plugin...
:kaoswt: Oops, I think that was another mistake, sorry! I'd omitted a return value, i.e. "was the save loaded successfully?", for that method (forgot to test save/load...). If you've replaced that part from the code you're using then there's nothing to worry about, but I'll edit in something that should work to my previous posts~

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 10th April, 2021. :LZScheeze: (Improving on the thumbnails, by using assets from the day's news.)
Just discovering the forum.
Since Final Fantasy VII has been trending today, decided to make a series of my favorite bars in the OG game! Check it out:

At 2021, we are now farther from the 1980's than they were from the 1950's. Consider that the next time you long for a 1980's song, when you thought your grandpa's taste for 1950's music was "outdated".
no, not my duct tape, anything but my duct tape!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armyrule94