RMMV 'Revenant Dracanea'! A cartoony, comedic quest lost to time.

Should we stick with "Revenant Dracanea"? Or go with "Dracanea Story"/something else?

• Revenant Dracanea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dracanea Story

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other suggestion (Mention in the comments below)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Dracanea: Remnant Requiem

• Remnant Dracanea

• Dracanea: Remnant Rebellion

• Dracanea: The Ragtag Remnants

• Dracanea: The Ragtag Regalia

• Total voters

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

(early concept art, subject to change)

So after about a year and a half's worth of work with a small group of friends, I'm ready to show off our project. The working title is "Revenant Dracanea" but that's soon to change. It's a quirky, comedic adventure about a land facing rebellion, which was lost in the stories of time.
With a lighthearted tone and a charming cast of unique characters, it places heavy emphasis on witty dialogue and storytelling, while spoofing a lot of cherished cliches and tropes in video games.

Here's a brief overview of the basic concept, before launching into the nitty-gritty stuff.

Introduction
Basically, the way we're framing the story is that Dracanea (the setting) is a real place that really existed in our world, it just so happens that everyone all just sorta forgot about it for some reason. By playing the game, you're recounting the events that took place in it, as a collection of fun stories and journals (storytelling and archiving being a running-theme in the game) and discovering why people forgot about it in the first place. So in its purest sense, it's historical-fiction with a fun twist.

Obviously this all sounds pretty okay and run-of-the-mill for an adventure/RPG, so the way we're hoping to help it stand out is by giving it a lot of humor and charm. Me personally, I perform stand-up comedy, and my fiancee is a professional writer with experience in creative writing.
As such we're trying to reflect our talent by making the dialogue witty and funny, as well as giving satire on cherished tropes and cliches in oldschool RPGs. That said, the game isn't just one big yuk-fest either, we're trying to find a good balance of 50/50 between serious and light-hearted. A good example is the Paper Mario series, where characters and dialogue are legitimately funny, but the overall narrative does take itself seriously.

The game assets are almost entirely original, drawn by me, or based on royalty-free stuff as a base, with a teensy bit of the RTP sprinkled in.

I do have a few ideas for unique features to help distinguish the game, some of which we've already begun implementing already, such as:
  • "Past" sections where you relive memories or history of characters in the form of short little 2D sidescroller vignettes

• An in-depth cooking system which has nearly 100 "real" recipes. Each recipe is based off of actual IRL foods, and as you master them in-game, you can unlock the actual recipe which you can learn to cook in reality. (My fiancee and I also run a food blog, go figure lol).

• In addition, we've plans to release a companion app with the game which will basically be something like the Dracanea Cookbook or something, as a fun bonus thing. Mostly just a phone app collection of the recipes with the characters telling you about the food, its history/culture, food science, etc...

• Team-up skills, called "Super Duo Attacks" instead of generic "ultra" skills, where two party members that have a high friendship, can tag-team the enemy in fun, dynamic attack sequences.

• I'm not going to say where specifically, but the land of Dracanea and its features are loosely based off of a real-life location which is a lot of fun for people who may recognize it.
  • Most maps and locations will have hidden bonus rooms that you can discover, which reward you with secrets and prizes, to make exploring the world more interesting.

Plot Overview

Not so long ago, in a not so distant land, the nation of Dracanea nearly fell into ruin when an unthinkably evil warlord rose to power and began his conquest of all he could get his hands on, an event we call the Nova War. Fortunately, he was foiled by a group of teenagers (not trained soldiers, mind you) all because they managed to collect a set of mystical gems... Well, this story sounds pretty familiar, correct? You remember that story of course.
More importantly, though, you do remember the land of Dracanea, right? ...Hm? No? Well, let's talk about it a little bit more.

Fast forward fifteen years later, and Dracanea was a totally different place! The land flourished, cities were built, and magic had advanced society to a bit of a more modern setting.
However despite its advancements, the nation had a long-standing policy of isolation that forbade travel to and from Dracanea. The current ruler, King Paumanock was open to the idea of ending this policy, as luck would have it! Surely this would usher in a new age for all of Dracanea! Unfortunately, there are some pretty outspoken critics of the King and his ideas to open their lands, and these critics began pooling their efforts together as a new Rebel Army, to overthrow the crown once and for all.

You play as Riker Tierros, a beloved general of the Royal Guard (because let's not forget, this is a video game).
Why is he beloved? Well, of course, he was the leader of that ragtag group of kids who managed to overthrow the magical warlock! (Or was it warlord?) But regardless, the Nova War fifteen years prior to this was what thrust Riker into the limelight and now that he's a grown man, he's considered a national hero!
Now, it doesn't quite make sense to march an army of 2,000 soldiers out into a tiny village to investigate a minor disturbance, wouldn't you agree? So instead, good old Riker leads a small recon group across Dracanea in search of any intel on the Rebel Army, fighting the good fight, all while cooking up some tasty grub.

Now do you remember the story Dracanea? That's more like it!

Characters/Party Members

Riker Tierros

The main character of the game. He bravely led a group of friends to fight evil, when they were growing up. Now, he's an acclaimed hero of the nation that everyone knows and loves! ...and he's kind of bored of it.

Eevie Greene

Eevie is a monk who trains day and night to hone her martial arts skills, though she's a bit rough and tumble compared to most other monks in her tribe. Feisty, quick to anger, and good with a joke, she's pretty opposite with Riker, with whom she's romantically involved with, believe it or not!

Princess Nikole
The current Princess and sole heir to the throne; she shares her father's vision for a future in which Dracanea opens up to the rest of the world around it! She's a childhood friend of Riker's, and the two of them have shared a special bond ever since they fought side by side in the Nova War, 15 years ago.
*Not playable

Christoph Albus
A fellow member of the Royal Guard like Riker, and a bit of a man of mystery, Christoph just exudes charisma. Well-liked and well-read, he's the best man for any job and always comes through when the cards are down.

Sera Skelter
A bit of a homebody with a troubled past, Sera can seem a bit glum to some people, but it's partially because she's new to this whole "adventure" business. She's used to a simple life of gardening and village life, but after her friends depart on a journey for the greater good, she becomes inspired to do her own part and join up with Riker and crew.

Mike isn't just cool, he's the coolest. Or at least that's how he wants everyone else to perceive him. After all though, what could be cooler than an archaeologist who doubles as a professional ring-fighter? Mike loves studying the occult and despite his turbo-rad persona, he's surprisingly brilliant than most people would think.

Maloria Moffit
Maloria is a witch... or more accurately a witch from the swamp. While she is a sweetheart, she's also notorious for her affinity to all things dirty and smelly, which doesn't afford her many friends. If you can get past this (or at least pinch your nose!) then you'll find she's a loyal colleague with a masterful knowledge of all things magic.

Ivan
A vigilante who doesn't remember his full name or where he came from, Ivan travels the land in search of the Rebel Army to challenge them with his band of Freedom Fighters. While not actually a villain per se, he doesn't quite understand the whole "good guy" thing either, and him and Riker don't quite see eye to eye. Despite that, they are on the same side technically... right?

Jadezia Taurus
Jadezia, or "Jade" as her friends call her, is a librarian who'd rather spend her days reading than fighting. She (begrudgingly) fought alongside Riker in the Nova War 15 years ago, and now she's decided to (begrudgingly) fight alongside him once again! Don't let looks deceive you though, Jade is a proper lady, and she does not mess around. Oh, did we mention she's also a total pyromaniac? Yeah.

Drake Rufus
Drake is the chieftain of his village, the owner of a wilderness preserve, and a true outdoorsman. He loves nothing more than to be one with nature and befriends every animal he meets. Sadly though, Drake also suffers a long-standing illness which plagues him at every corner he turns. That doesn't stop him from serving his family and his country, and from hunting down the majestic, last few dragons which live in Dracanea (to research them of course!)

Prototype Map Images

Vangola Park

Melica Shrine

The Sunset Express

Odella Grove

Music Tracks

All of the music in the game is being created and written by yours truly! I've released a few self-published albums on Bandcamp before, but never scored a video game before. It's been fun! Here's a few choice samples, but there are many more!

Overworld/Field Theme

Standard Battle

Event/Mini-Boss Battle
Melica Village, Quaint Farmland on the East End

Artemisia, The Home of Academia

Holly Jolly Zephyr City!

Theme of The Diatribe (Villain Theme)

Last edited:

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The biggest concern my team has right now is we don't think we're going to stick with the name "Revenant Dracanea" since 'revenant' has become kind of a trendy-cool buzzword in the game industry right now. It's a shame because I really like the oldschool definition of revenant, since it means something returning from the past, which is incredibly appropriate for this game's story and concept.

Right now we're considering changing it to Dracanea Story, but have also considered giving it a subtitle as well. So maybe something like Dracanea Story: Revenant Redemption or something similar.

Any thoughts/insight?

Jayje

THE Lone Indie Cheese!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Why not go with "Remnant"?

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not go with "Remnant"?
Oooh, that's actually a million dollar suggestion, dude! Remnant is good, isn't as edgy as revenant. And it works really well with alliterative stuff. "The Remnant Regalia" perhaps? Remnant Rising is good too, either of them could work as subtitles.

Last edited:

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The favorite among my team now is Dracanea: The Ragtag Remnants since we feel like it helps convey a focus on the quirky cast of characters, and gives it a little bit of personality.

Jayje

THE Lone Indie Cheese!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated with a cute group shot of the main cast. The writing/personalities of these characters is gonna be our bread and butter, so that's something I'll definitely be looking for feedback on over time, as I update this thread with more info/demo/etc.

Powerise

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Forestlogic, I just see your post. All aspects on your game is out of the box and anti-mainstream, it's all unique. I see all main character have different personalities and not boring character.
Only see eevie makes me laugh hard, just because her arm pit hair, and how she will be love with riker. It's make me curious. Other characters is interesting as well.
Awesome soundtrack too :)
Good luck for your project!

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Forestlogic, I just see your post. All aspects on your game is out of the box and anti-mainstream, it's all unique. I see all main character have different personalities and not boring character.
Only see eevie makes me laugh hard, just because her arm pit hair, and how she will be love with riker. It's make me curious. Other characters is interesting as well.
Awesome soundtrack too :)
Good luck for your project!
Thanks for the kind words! Unique is definitely what we're going for!

Progress is moving forward, and Chapter 1 is nearly finished. I'm hoping to have some new content to share within the next month or so, including lots of new music and screenshots.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very nice artistic mapping. I'm glad to hear your progressing through your project well too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The universe does not want me to do another letsplay it seems... I keep bumping into problem after problem... Oh well. Still have several days to sort them out.
I now have something new to learn. Lesson suggestions?
Finally with a new PC! Now I can do nice things both coding and gaming
nvidia release the IA paint to lsd landscape simulator
i just try , it very fun
"If the lion knew her own strength, hard were it for anyone to rule her". This would be my custom title if I had enough spaces for it. Coming off of personal pain, I'm glad I found the original quote I've tweaked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negajo