Revenant Gods - Ragnarok Chronicle - #Statement about Revenant God's music and its "composer"

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I saw this game on YouTube (through random clicking :D), and subscribed here after, really liked what I saw.

Is there any chance that you make a demo that doesn't require the RTP? I know it's a hassle to copy/paste all the used stuff from it, but it would make your game more spread out, and more importantly, less dependent on a 3rd party installment, which is a big deal nowadays.

I wouldn't ask this if the download for that RTP wouldn't take AGES, for just 21.9 MB it says it will take 35-45 minutes! >.>

Okay, it might not sound much, but that's only 21 MB, shouldn't take that long with my internet speed (and I know, this is not your fault), and I kinda wanted to play the game today, but seems like I will have to postpone it (got much work to do). 

Anyway, thanks for the demo! I will write a review when I played through it for sure! Keep up the good work!

EDIT:

Great, RTP download failed on 20.5 MB... Now I can start from scratch. >.>

Why is it so slow to download that file? Is the rpgmakerweb server overloaded? o.o

Last edited by a moderator:

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was REALLY dubious about the battle system at first, but I actually really like it. I do think it's a bit of a shame that I spend most of the battle watching the meters fill instead of watching those absolutely beautiful sprite animations, but it was still fun! The lack of MP system was nice as well. The elemental system was a little confusing though; I couldn't really tell what an enemy's weakness was. I think that outside of the ANALYZE window, a player should be able to tell when their attack was super effective with an additional sound effect; I'm not sure if there was a visual effect in place for this because I was too focused on watching the meters so I could tell the characters to attack. :p

How many frames are each of the animations for the battlers? They're so smooth!

I thought the maps were a little tricky to navigate. Might be because there were so many corpses on the screen though. I think the future maps will be more comfortable to move through since there will (hopefully) be less dead NPCs laying around. 

Ignoring some weird dialog due to translations, I think overall the demo was EXTREMELY well polished. Loved the custom graphics, the music was appropriate and catchy, and the use of Norse mythology is always a massive plus in my book (especially when you go beyond the typical tropes like you have). ;)

My only real complaint is that the demo was really short. I'm looking forward to playing the full arc when it comes out! Good job! :D

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure if you need it but...COLISION BUG REPORT TIME!!!

^3459F267150811D5916EF017D69D395582D0CF74592FF2EDB7^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

m4uesviecr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Had a chance to play through the demo.

Music is extremely well fitting, and like Ashikai, I was skeptical of the battle system, but the pacing really decreased my skepticism of it (reminds me of FFX-2 and that's my favorite FF battle system to date). The story progresses okay. I have quite a few questions, but I assume those will be answered later on in the game, though I believe decent dialogue can create interest along with an increase in curiosity.

Speaking of dialogue, that is my biggest gripe. You get the point across, but right now, the flow of events due to dialogue is pretty choppy, and the characters themselves don't have much personality outside of  their surface level presentations:

- The cool, sword weidling main character.

- The caring childhood friend

So far, the story and battle theme (music, too) is keeping me interested, but the characters/dialogue aren't doing much for me, and it's making me wonder about the quality of the story.

I do like the build-up to finally meeting Train, but right now, the dialogue is hard to believe/immerse myself in. Dialogue is hard to get right, though. If you get that patched up, this will be QUITE a gem!

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@kovak
For Script is Hanging error, I'll try to fix it. As for stretched fullscreen, I'm afraid I there's nothing I can do from here. This is a known limitation as far as I know for RMXP. There's no 2x scaling script for VX or VXA as of now. (If the solution involves modifying exe file, then I'm afraid it will also break the EULA) The only solution I heard of is to go into your GPU's driver program and set full screen mode not to stretch the application's screen, which is not available on some driver. As for passability bugs on the map, thank you for letting me know! Will implement the fix on the next build!

@Sixth
I'm very sorry, I've added link for version that includes RTP.

@ashikai
Thank you for your suggestion! The fram for each sprite is around 7-8 frames. Some moves however has more than 10 frames. Also, you can see enemy's elemental weakness using Analyze command. I will however see if it's possible to implement QoL feature like damage number changing to indicates weakness, hopefully make it more noticable.

@m4uesviecr
Thank you, I've received many feedbacks on the dialogue. We'll improve on it.

For the next demo (which would be a long while from now), I'll improve on the following:

• Dialogues and typo
  • Passability as reported
  • Equipment menu bug
  • Text length and enemy's skill name in Analyze Enemy screen
  • Implement QoL feature to indicate enemy's elemental strength/weakness in Analyze screen

Also maybe other features like:

• AP gauge speed for those who think it's too fast, allowing more tiime to plan
  • Implement character cycling buttons so you don't have to press X to select a character. (We're considering if it should be A and S
    or left and right directional buttons)
  • Damage text change to indicate elemental weakness

For those who cannot play the RTP-included version (1.03c), I'm really sorry. If you can't play, go to Game.ini and remove Standard from the
text like the following picture. I was a little too dizzy last night, sorry again.

Note from translator: Thank you very much for your feedback! Now I know I'm quite weak on grammar and accuracy but I'll do my
best to improve the dialogue's quality. Please accept my apology for any poor translation that might breaks your immersion.
By the way, we're considering recruiting proofreader for our project. I'd like a native speaker to do this to make sure that dialogue's quality
can reach its fullest potential. Thank you again!

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
First impressions

Ok, let me get the obvious stuff out of the way. 

Graphics

Menus are slick, great UI design but can feel a bit clunky when navigating between all the different options. I normally like to have all possible options for playable characters ( like stats, skills and equipment ) under one major menu bar with the others serving as sub-menus. For example:

Main Menu
    Status
        Rain -> Bio
            Equipment
            Skills
            etc.

But since you've coded everything already, I'm not going to dwell on this too much. xD I just like all my information on one place. It just streamlines the whole game and makes for a more enjoyable experience. Regarding the design, top-grade stuff right there. I doubt even some commercial games (AAA or indie) could match the level of polish you have going on there. Full marks.

Mapping/Art

Solid, nothing to complain about. Character design is a bit over the top, but it suits your game world. Typical anime stuff, haha. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. ^^

Battle System

Fast-paced, never boring, though I was a little peeved that there was no default attack command. xD I do like the number of options it gives you however. It keeps the battles fresh. While I'm not too crazy about side-view battle systems, I can appreciate the amount of effort it took creating those animated battlers. <3 As a pixel artist myself, I love it. It's a little too early to say how battles will play out in the future, but I'm already getting some strong Star Ocean vibes with the kind of combos we could be racking up. Big numbers for the win!

And now for the biggest gripe I had with this demo. The intro and the writing. Rain mentions a lot of things that could have been shown while the intro credits were rolling.

The 'show and don't tell' trick, in other words. The earthquake, the invasion etc. Tbqh, I found myself losing focus less than five minutes in because of that blank screen and reading a slew of dialogue. Think how it would play out if the player actually saw these things happening on screen ( you have some great sprites, put them to good use xD. Show the factions fighting against each other; you could even have Rain and Ashe fight off a couple of foes before he gets knocked unconscious ).

While it's all well and good roll the credits when a game starts up, the way it was done in this particular demo actually did more harm than good because it interrupted the flow of the introduction. Remember, your introduction is where the player will decide to spend the next few minutes ( or hours ) playing your game, or walk away. It's the hook that draws them in. =)

Dialogue: 

Ah, yes. The dialogue. Let me offer a little hint. If it sounds like the characters are reading off a script and talking to each other, rewrite it. It needs to feel natural. The best way to do this is to get a 'snapshot' of a character's personality and write him/her in such a way that you get a 'feel' of what they're like in just one sentence (or two). Sure, Rain and Ashe are walking cliches, but cliches can be good if they're well-written. =)

Hope this helps. I look forward to more updates! You've clearly put a lot of love into this project, and it shows, but I really don't want to dismiss this work as a result of its writing. Your team has loads of potential (one of the best I've seen, tbqh) and I wish you well, Luzi and co!

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@luzi Up and Down for cycling is fine since the UI displays rows but that would make the menu navigation confuse when choosing commands unless you allow Left and Right to open/ close the command display which is not intuitive.

Go for Left/ Right instead :v

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New bug :<
Happened during the bridge's boss fight

Sem título.png

Delta75

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
Sorry for the language of approximations (google trad).

I rarely come on the forum because I'm French so I am more active on RPG MAKER French communities but I am assiduously your work.

You get to transform RTP which one yet knows the origin. How to map your magical.

I really love what you do through the screens and videos.

I dl the prologue, I feel I'll love it. I understand English better than I speak it.

I also make from years that I know the workload that you supplied.

Alas my projects are in French and it's not tomorrow that I would have done much less that I could try to translate.

Moreover I also love the Norse mythology, my main project is called Yggdrasil quest of the blood dragon.

Projects like yours encourage all makers to excel.

Good continuation. :)

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Heya!

Sorry to keep you waiting, I tried your demo and I encounter these bugs.

I downloaded the last version to be sure I had last update.

I played the demo with a gamepad/game controller.

Bug 1: Battle system

2nd or 3rd battle after the 2nd save point what I did:
- Haste on rain, waiting until getting 9 action points
- Then attack, first enemy went in at the same time
- Characters went to attack somewhere far on the right beyond the screen focus
- same for Ashe and 2nd enemy just after
- Game blocked as in screenshot, can't use any char (blocked in their action mode probably)
- Analyze enemies still work, escape doesn't

Bug 2: passability (?)

I got stuck, I think it's when I went probably in diagonal, not sure

Both bugs made me restart game because I couldn't move anymore. I will try again later.

eDeus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
As a so-so artist, I was waiting for this game so much. Had great expectations. And got disappointed...

The best bit is of course the art. It's amazing. It's flawless. If you had a shirtless gay dude somewhere in there, my pants would fly off instantly. Aaaanyway...

The writing is quite bad. Not just the typos, the dialogue itself. I'm not sure if something got lost in translation, but I don't think that poor localization can ruin characters this much. They're just shallow and boring. It feels like they're reading from a textbook. I mean, even if you give the brooding badass dude's lines to his midget girlfriend, there wouldn't be much difference, except for his cursing. Same again, give the midget's lines to the "I used to be an adventurer just like you, until I got a bullet to the knee" guard, and no one would notice. During dialogue sequences, I had to constantly check the name in the chatbox before reading the lines themselves, because you have 2 busts on the screen and no idea who's talking at the moment.

You could remedy that by slapping an accent/dialect onto a character. Or giving them certain little words that they use (I guess making the main dude swear like a drunk lumberjack was a step in the right direction lol). An example popped to my mind. In Guild Wars 2, a certain character always hiccups when facing danger. It's such a small detail, but it instantly makes her stand out. You guys get crazy with the visuals, so there's definitely enough creativity involved to make something unique here.

Also, someone has already mentioned it before, but those credit sequences in the very beginning, they've completely ruined it for me. I stopped playing twice in the first, what, 10 minutes or so. You need to get your players involved. Instead, I start doing something and get a black screen in my face. My reactions went from "okay..." to "Ugh, not again!" to "OH COME ON!!" A separate section of credits with some pretty pictures of the events prior to where the game begins would be a nice change.

I won't get into the battle system. I didn't like it, but it's just my personal taste. I immediately realized it's not my cup of tea when I saw the action gauges. But the combat UI was super sleak, loved it quite a bit.

And what's up with the character names anyway? You have this amazing mythology you base your game on, even use all those norse-sounding names for the most part. And the main character is called Rain? Is Final Fantasy invading Valhalla, with their Clouds, Lightnings, and other weather conditions? For the heck of it, should've called the girl Sunshine. :)  But seriously, Rain in Norwegian (or Swedish maybe, somewhere from Scandinavia) is Regn which would've been such a cool name that fits the whole mythos so well, in my opinion. Now it's just inconsistent... (don't even get me started on Train, wtf really)

You better step your game up, because this needs to be no less than a hit. I'd suggest getting yourself a skilled writer. You'd lay your bare-boned ideas down and he/she would turn them into something beautiful, something your game deserves.

And about those shirtless gay dudes... *hint hint*

Wish you luck with this project. Don't screw it up! :)

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Graphic and interface look very clean and beautiful. Congrats for the project and all the best!

ElementalLight

Resident Anime Junkie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This dosent look like an RPG Maker XP project.... oh my this looks TOO good 

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Feel the same..

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thanks for everyone's feedbacks! I'll try to improve the dialogue quality and consider making changes to credit sequence.

As for character's name, I'm very sorry but throughout many years ever since my childhood, I've grown very attached to their name.
They're my first set of OCs since I first got my hands on RPG Maker and I used them even in the old iteration of RG I've cancelled.
My sincerest apologies to those who might find the three protagonists' name out of place, but I would like to keep their names as they are.
("Train" is actually an alias but I digress.)

I'm creating new demo version that implements all the changes from feedbacks and bug fixes. It might take a while though (probably a month or so) because I have to get in and out of hospital frequently due to my health issue. I'll keep you guys up to date later. Thanks again for all the feedbacks and bug reports!

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Good evening Luzi,

I played again the game with Keyboard only and I was able to finish it without bugs. But I totaly forgot that you can use support skills, haha.

Graphics/mapping

I liked all the flames and the ruins you made but it was a little strange to not see flame on trees.

I also liked your personal graphics (mechaaaaaa xD). You know that I love every drawing you make, lol

The menu and battle system UI are beautifull

Story-dialogs

English isn't my native language so for me the dialogs were allright, it was a little difficult to understand the world/universe because it is only the prologue.

But, I liked that it was not boring, there were a lot actions and nicely animated :)

Gameplay-systems

I think for me that was the part that needed some balance because you are too generous.

Some powerfull skills don't cost enough like the quadra slash of hero for example.

I know you putted a second limit to use it (the second blue bar) but you can easely wait for these bars to fill and spam the powerfull skills.

Bravely default (3DS game) has similar system, player had just to spam all their charge bars (already filled and can spam same skill for 4 turns).

BUT!

I can understand you were generous because you wanted the player to be able to reach the end of demo without too much problem.

Last thing, you don't need to put so many enemies, put less and make some chase player at sight if you can (because they're at war). I t will give some sense of danger for player

Anyway me and friend liked your game, you're on good path. BD

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually this generosity is what makes this combat system addictive, it's like those top thread mobile apps that slaves your soul.

The only issue for me is the cost of some skills since you can't spam some of them but on the other hand they cost as same as the regular attack command.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I swear, the last 3 weeks I haven't felt like helping people at all. No idea why, even if I know the exact solution they need. Might need to harness my inner @Shaz or something. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
Look, I get that it's illegal, but...
It just happen we got P7 as booth number, so i draw Girls Frontline's P7 in this
Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
josephdevelops