Revenant Gods - Ragnarok Chronicle - #Statement about Revenant God's music and its "composer"

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We've conducted an investigation and we have the result. The composer we have, Squall Hartly/Ravyke/Henrike
was a not only a fraud, liar. He made many claims such as knowing many music artists and holding license to use the
music tracks used in Revenant Gods. Although he might be a good at editing music for use in the game, his bold claim
of knowing those music artists personally was a lie. He invited us to talk with “MuryokuP” on Skype and we, regrettably,
believed this “MuryokuP”’s lie that Squall has the rights to music track.

We’ve asked MuryokuP and Makai Symphony, the owner of the music tracks used in RG, through SoundCloud and Twitter,
and their answer revealed that not only they didn’t know Squall, but they also composed the music themselves and not a
collaboration effort like Squall claimed. “MuryokuP” we talked on Skype was a fake account and the real MuryokuP didn’t
have a conversation with us on Skype at all.

(Evidence: Conversation log with the REAL MuryokuP and Makai Symphony.)

UbyaspD.jpg

3zWeqhB.jpg

Before we were able to confront Squall with evidences however, he disappeared and he hasn’t been on Skype, the only
channel we can contact, for almost a week. We however, will not wait any longer. After a serious discussion, we decided that
with all evidences we gathered so far of his wrongdoings, Squall’s words hardly have any weight now.From this day on, a composer
by the name of Squall Hartly or any other pseudonyms he may have used will no longer be a part of our team. He didn’t only take
the music tracks from other composers and claimed them as his works; he also betrayed our trust by refusing to answer honestly.
We cannot and will not tolerate his behavior any longer.

As for us, we thank you everyone who informed and helped us with the investigation of this incident. We came to a conclusion
that we will continue to use music tracks that were permitted by their creator, such as Makai Symphony while removing commercial
tracks such as the one by MuryokuP from the game then find other Creative Commons music as a replacement. This time, we will
attribute the credit to their rightful owner. This will take a while but we will go at any length to right what we did wrong.
Thank you very much for reading and following Revenant Gods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ateliae

Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this. Everything was fishy from all of his excuses when I asked questions, but I'm really glad that you guys managed to fix it. I hope some form of justice will be done towards him for disrespecting your team and the composers and I hope you can find a way to remedy the loss of the music.  :(

Neoz Kaho

Crazy Historian
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
Most of what we want to say on behalf of our team (Alliance) was said in Luzi’s post. Here however, is my personal opinion on this investigation. It’s just the details of the investigation. Feel free to read if you would like to know more.

Initial investigation:

We were shocked when there was a report by lolshtar. So we decided to have an urgent meeting on this case. I made an inquiry to Squall and he made a very lengthy excuse. He claimed that other people were not fully aware of “how music is made”. He even made a comparison to Daisuke Ishiwatari (of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue fame) and that there is music composer (credited) and other music performers (uncredited).

Looking back, I was ashamed of my lack of knowledge in how composing music works. I underestimated how one composer could’ve done everything amazing on his own and I believed Squall’s lie that it was a collaboration effort when he brought up a website.  (https://www.ohmstudio.com/). He claimed that he used to work under the name “Seki” as in the credit of MuryokuP’s music in YouTube, “Seijiki Chaoscillation”.  He added that anyone who doubted him can contact him in private on Skype.              

Me and Luzi trusted his words, big mistake. We made a statement about this and we thought that this would be the end of the case. Nope, that was just the beginning.

The case of Makai Symphony and conversation with “MuryokuP”

I admitted I was naïve and I was on Squall side when this happened. I was glad that I was able to know what’s going on. That’s why when report of music tracks by Makai Symphony came, it hit me really hard. I came back to Squall again, “what the heck is going on?”, I asked myself.  Squall again, made a familiar excuse about how people didn’t how things work behind the scene. He was trying to avoid answering about his relation with Makai Symphony and instead insisted that we talk to “MuryokuP”.

Me and Luzi had a group conversation with Squall and “無力P ミュージシャン”(MuryokuP Musician). I had lots of doubts and questions and greeted this person in Japanese. He answered back in JP, ok. This “MuryokuP” made a very lengthy comment how people are not aware of how music is made behind the scene and Squall is trustworthy. The first doubt came when I asked if I should credit MuryokuP too, this “MuryokuP” insisted that his name be made very small because big credit should go to Squall, ideally his name should only exist in Readme file.

“MuryokuP” then claimed that “Makai Studio” only made the register of the music and technically couldn’t be credited. I however, think that there should be a public statement permitting his music to be used in RG. Unsurprisingly, he emphasized again that only Squall has the license and permission. I decided to tweet to MuryokuP’s twitter just to verify his identity. “MuryokuP” refused to answer because “bad people could take advantage of the situation and harm him or his band” and there are many fake twitter accounts around.

That was the start of my second doubt and to be honest, my trust in Squall and “MuryokuP” started to waver. Still, I decided to play along and see what he thinks of giving credit to Squall and other group and persons involved. “MuryokuP” suggested that  we credit Squall as “Lead Composer”  and put other contributors’ name in small letter.

We bought his lie again and I thanked him for taking the time to talk with us. He answered with “さようなら!=)”

[SIZE=11pt]And that’s where my third doubt came. From my experience interacting with Japanese people, I never had anyone saying Sayonara to me. This MuryokuP” was indeed suspicious. Luzi and me agreed to temporarily suspend the release of RG’s demo until we got to bottom of this and then we posted the conversation on the forums.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The search for the truth[/SIZE]

I started contacting posters who made reports earlier and see if they could help us with the investigation. At that point, I didn’t know what to do so I had to ask for any helps available. I even asked a friend of a friend to translate questions into Japanese to ask MuryokuP through SoundCloud. The process took several days but I finally got responses from Makai Symphony the “real” MuryokuP. They were very helpful and I appreciated their help.

Unsurprisingly, they confirmed my greatest fear. Squall was lying. He didn’t know these composers. They made their music alone without his help. I however, was busy back then and didn’t reply to Squall on Skype at all. However, by that point, Squall didn’t provide any helpful or clear answer. He continued to talk like a broken record and brought up any points about copyright or “technicality” he could think of.

I was utterly disappointed in him and I didn’t bother to answer. He even provided pictures of him being in control of a project on OHM Studio page but with testimonies from Makai and Muryoku, I don’t want to trust him again, ever. I was heartbroken and angry at myself for believing in Squall’s “passionate” endeavor to clear his name initially.

It was sad when I finished my exam; Squall was nowhere to be found. He didn’t come online for many days and we couldn’t confront him with the evidence. Frankly, we don’t want to wait or hear any excuses from him anymore and so we decided to make a statement today. Squall had his chance to tell the truth and he squandered it on a ruse instead of being honest.

Closing statement

I am relieved that we were finally able to bring this case to a close. We were a victim of one big lie. I'm not speaking here to shift all the blame on Squall. Does the invesitgation absolve us of our wrongdoing for trusting and unknowingly used unpermitted music? Maybe only partially. Our misstep was that we were too naive and trusting and too desperate for any kind of helps that began this whole mess in the first place. If we were a bit more skeptical, this case might not have happened.

What was done was done. We made a mistake; we resolved to right what we did wrong. I hope that this case could be a warning to other aspiring creators out there that’s creating a game as a team. It is good to have some helping hand, but be very careful of a hand you didn’t know well. We were too eager to trust Squall and we paid for that dearly by being played like a fiddle.

Squall might have been a good composer on his own right and did actually work on some music in the past. I don't know what's true or false about him anymore. His action however, proved that he's untrustworthy and we don't want that kind of person with us. The only regret I have is that I didn't have a chance to confront him with the evidence. I hope that someday justice will be done to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this os sad but it would make an interesting side-Quest.

Hope you guys find what you need.

Edgeklinge

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I feel so sorry man, I'm still a newbie here, checking threads and saw this post and i was like, wow, srsly... this game is top tiered! Wish i can help but I'm not a musician :( wish you can solve this problem as soon as possible

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As someone that has been trying to recruit a team this is scary. Sorry this happened to your team. Good luck. Game looks amazing!

Reese

Wretched Art Prince
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is why I just don't give away my trust right off the bat. I can be easily impressed by an amount of 

work but that doesn't give the point of trust in my dictionary. Years of tag along and working together could 

help matters such as this. I'm so sorry to hear about this, It was unexpected. Well, everything has a setback

and this has already been closed. So let's just move along  :guffaw:

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm so sorry to read this. But everything can teach you a lesson in life. Now time to move along and go on with this great game!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello. Did you recurit this composer from the forums here? If so you should report them with the evidence you have so us moderators can take action as needed too. We don't tolerate resource theft here on the forums either.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to write that your art is amazing, your screenshots are amazing and I am going to start watching this topic. 

MiniTitan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks great! Sorry to read about the music nonsense. A lesson for all of us.
Following this project in support!

HeroLite

stinky weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
whoa jeez. i misclicked page 5 of this thread and just got blasted with this dudes fraudery shenanigans. i'm glad you busted the guy. hope your project continues to roll smoothly, even after exposing his antics!

Neoz Kaho

Crazy Historian
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
Just drop by to say that we're not dead. (lol) It will take some time though to recover and Luzi gotta balance his health and work carefully as well but we promise we'll continue working on this project despite the setback. Thank you very much for your concern and good wish. We won't let you down!

- Neoz

The_Trinity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry that had to happen to you guys, but good luck to your team moving forward!

Halcyon Days

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, it sure sucks what you had to deal with... I hope you guys will recover soon.

Fushira

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks amazing. Love the ideas, artwork is interesting even though unfinished from what you are saying. Hope you can complete this. I would love to see a final product.

Brrt

The New MV
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello a pleasure, I saw your project in a YouTube gameplay, and I call myself a lot the game. I would just like to know if this project is still in development or was abandoned?

GalacticGod

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, this looks awesome! I hope the game is still in development.

AwakenedKarbon

An arcane isotope of carbon.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello a pleasure, I saw your project in a YouTube gameplay, and I call myself a lot the game. I would just like to know if this project is still in development or was abandoned?
I'd like to know that myself. I decided to come back to this place after a good few years, and things don't seem to at least appear to have happened a lot.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLateNight98