Kumachan77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't know if this is the area to review but I wanted to give my 2 cents on a game I played. I hope to encourage game developers with my honest feedback and give games the exposure they deserve.  So without further ado...

I present to you my game review on "The Last Esper", created by Clalibus. I will start by saying that I was quite amazed within the first few minutes. I can see the hard work put into the layout of the town and Castle environment. The story, while cheesy and predictable, had a nice charm which kept me engaged. Good work with the auto camera pan in the first part but it did get quite annoying when it panned around each time you step foot into the farming village. 

While the world map battles where nice and quick, I found that grinding just to clear the first mission was excessive. There were too many high powered enemies which caused me to retreat after every 2 or 3 fights. This meant running back to the castle and find the free rest area. I would have liked it if both characters had magic spells or if the enemy dropped higher amounts of gold coins. I was not able to buy any kind of gear in the shop. This result in one character being seriously useless because he has no weapons or armor. 

Probably no fault of the creator but the game, when a character dies, there was no way to revive him. Lastly one pet peeve or gripe I have with most fan made RPGs is that every chair, table, bookshelf, bed, does not need a description! Just keep the descriptions to either when you find a secret item or something relevant to the game. For example, "This bookshelf contains the book you are looking for" vs "There are no interesting books on this bookshelf". 

In short, I recommend The Last Esper. It's great layout, funny moments, and good use of RPG Creator effects makes me look forward to chapter 2. 

IMG_0243.PNGIMG_0244.PNG

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, this is not the area for reviews.  This is the area for discussing and getting support for RPG Creator as a piece of software.  That is indicated in the section title. 

I've moved this thread to Video Games. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

As this is the second thread of yours that I have moved, can I suggest you take a little time to familiarize yourself with the forum and check out what each section is for.

Thank you.

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Umm... that's weird. I couldn't find this game anywhere (I swear I googled it).

Mind  you telling me where did you find this game, so I can check it out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kumachan77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Can't find the game? Blame it on ksjp17 who moved the thread out of the iOS RPG Creator section into this general section.  You could at least give us RPG Creator folks our own dedicated section?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kumachan77 that post is inappropriate. there are procedures for how to handle disputes with mods and we ask you please folow them. thanks.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kumachan77 Its worth pointing out that the mods on this site really don't work for the company that made or publishes rpg maker/creator/etc... they are all former regular users that love the site and try to help out. In fact most of the "admin" staff isn't paid for the majority of the stuff on the forums either. There's a spot for site feedback if you feel you have a suggestion, post it there that's the best spot to be heard; there could definitely be a little more supported sections for rpg creator.

Here's the rule section bgillisp is referring to (you can also find it at the top of the forums webpage. The section related to dealing with mod related issues is at the bottom. http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/90-forum-rules/&%2Ftopic%2F90-forum-rules%2F=

I haven't used it personally because of my phone being an android device but don't you need the rpg creator app or something to even find these games to play? At least that's my understanding of it based on what I've read from some posted projects in the completed games section. That could be why Crabs can't find it.

Kumachan77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I apologize for losing my cool.  Yes, the game is only available via the Creator Web Portal which can only be accessed from the App.  This is why I posted it in the only RPG Creator forum on this site.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's most likely part of the confusion here for Crabs. There is a section here for completed projects but I don't think that game has a page on the site here. I'm sure the confusion is understood, its not that big a deal to have your topic moved; happens to a lot of people especially newer users.

This is definitely a more appropriate forum section (in my un-moderator opinion) as the previous one is more to do with support related questions and topics for rpg creator so it would definitely clash there. Since your new, definitely try to familliarize yourself with some of the rules and take a peek through some of the many sections on the forum; its definitely a bit overwhelming.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kumachan77: It happens to all of us. How often have I written a post that I went and had to delete as it came out wrong (the answer is more often than you would probably believe). All we ask is to learn from it and just remember to follow the process. So if  you feel something is moved in error, the process is to PM the mod and inquire, and state (tactfully) why you feel it should be in another section.

That being said, maybe there would be interest in a section on the forums for game reviews? Usually reviews are on the project's page, but what about the RPGMaker games without a page on here?

Pagerron

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have started playing the The Last Esper a bit today. It has a solid intro. I like the feel of the oversized castle. I'm only a few minutes in, but I have already found some cool places where upon searching I have found some free potions and such. Very cool. I'm looking forward to playing more of it this weekend.

I'm glad you pointed out this one Kumachan77. I would have missed it if you hadn't posted this thread. ?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally returning to one of my least favorite parts of game deving - mapping.
Me, adding new map: Okay, so this map will be the - wait...Map 501?! O.O E-excuse me?!
So, yup...breaking into the 500's for map count. Some are placeholders for now, since I haven't gotten around to actually mapping them yet. But soon. Very soon...oof, I'm scared.
Did anyone else get a 'sever error' a little while ago on fourms? because I did...
So... today was a friend birthday and she explicitly requested this little scene, otherwise she'll come to my house and shot me with a water gun.

Kinda late to the party but if you're trying to make a game with relatively large roster, my suggestion: be ready for a long, long ride yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucianth