Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,

I would like to make a revive spell that can only be used on a dead character. I set the scope to 1 alley (dead) but it's still usable on a character without knockout status.

I wonder if there are any ways to solve this?

Thank you

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then you either did something wrong or have changes the battlesystem.

please provide screenshots of the revive skill and the knockout state to check (full screenshots of the database) as well as screenshots of the plugin manager.

Mystic_Enigma

Otterly Insufferable!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe you need to adjust your Skill so that it recovers some HP on revival. It won't do anything otherwise.

See the "Damage" section? On the type dropdown, select "HP Recover" ,and either adjust the formula or add in an amount they will recover in the Effects list.

Last edited:

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe you need to adjust your Skill so that it recovers some HP on revival. It won't do anything otherwise.

See the "Damage" Window? On the type dropdown, select "HP Recover" ,and either adjust the formula or add in an amount they will recover in the Effects list.
I would like to make the revive spell not usable on a character that is still alive, so players won't accidently use the revive spell on a character that isn't dead and waste valuable MP. :)

I've tried adding some HP recovery in the formula, but the issue still exists. The revive spell can still be used on a character that's alive and players often wonder what's going on.

Mystic_Enigma

Otterly Insufferable!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like to make the revive spell not usable on a character that is still alive, so players won't accidently use the revive spell on a character that isn't dead and waste valuable MP. :)

I've tried adding some HP recovery in the formula, but the issue still exists. The revive spell can still be used on a character that's alive and players often wonder what's going on.
Might you by any chance typed in the formula abbreviations incorrectly? Hover your mouse cursor over the box to see the correct terms. Remember that "a" represents the user, and "b" represents the target.

Here's a screenshot of a revival item of my own as an example, it works as intended on my side.

1.png
Oh, and Common Events don't usually work in battle, so what you have there is not needed.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is KO really your state 1? If not it will not work either. KO *must* be state 1, no exceptions.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tamina I see nothing wrong in your plugins, although you have enough that it's very possible there's a conflict somewhere. However, I think the more likely answer is there's a problem with your Skill itself. You need to show us a screenshot of that. Also, be sure to Save and then retry your test play after making changes. If you haven't saved a change, sometimes it won't be committed.

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tamina I see nothing wrong in your plugins, although you have enough that it's very possible there's a conflict somewhere. However, I think the more likely answer is there's a problem with your Skill itself. You need to show us a screenshot of that. Also, be sure to Save and then retry your test play after making changes. If you haven't saved a change, sometimes it won't be committed.
I started a brand new project and removed all the plug in, it doesn't fix the issue. :(

Is KO really your state 1? If not it will not work either. KO *must* be state 1, no exceptions.
Yes KO is state 1.

Might you by any chance typed in the formula abbreviations incorrectly? Hover your mouse cursor over the box to see the correct terms. Remember that "a" represents the user, and "b" represents the target.

Here's a screenshot of a revival item of my own as an example, it works as intended on my side.

Oh, and Common Events don't usually work in battle, so what you have there is not needed.
I started a brand new project and did settings identical to yours. Doesn't work :(

Edit: I just noticed, in your screenshot it's an item not a spell, that could be the difference?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If KO is state 1 and it is set to only dead, then a plug-in is breaking it, as it works exactly as stated otherwise. You'll need to check your plug-ins.

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I tried creating a brand new project and changed nothing in it. Then I used the default "Stimulant" item, which has a Scope: 1 ally(dead) setting.

It seems that targeting is working as intended in the menu but not in the battle. This item is still usable in battle on alive members, and if selected member isn't dead the item does nothing and wasted a turn.

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If KO is state 1 and it is set to only dead, then a plug-in is breaking it, as it works exactly as stated otherwise. You'll need to check your plug-ins.

It is not, since it doesn't work in projects without any plug-in in it.

I would like to clarify that it works in the menu but not in the battle.

Edit: Can this be intended design so characters can "pre-use" a revive spell or item before a character is dead and revive them on the same turn?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That...is actually impossible. It can't work only in menu as intended and in battle not for the same thing as they use the same things every time. They use the same skill and same scope.

I think you got a bonkered .js file somewhere. Or you got two skills or items that are being mixed up, one for in menu and one in battle.

Otherwise you may need to redownload the maker from where you bought it, as your master .js file might be wacked.

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That...is actually impossible. It can't work only in menu as intended and in battle not for the same thing as they use the same things every time. They use the same skill and same scope.

I think you got a bonkered .js file somewhere. Or you got two skills or items that are being mixed up, one for in menu and one in battle.

Otherwise you may need to redownload the maker from where you bought it, as your master .js file might be wacked.
Can this be how RPG makers always work? Since I have a copy of VX Ace, I used the same "Stimulant" item from the VXA base project. Same issue exists in VXA too, it's not usable in the menu if the character is alive, but usable in battle before they are dead.

This can't be a .js issue if VXA works the same. It seems like intended design to let the players "pre-use" an item or skill before their characters are dead.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nope, I don't have this issue at all in either. It gives a buzzer when you try to use it if no one is dead. In the default project.

Edit: Ok, MV does let you use it before it is needed in battle. I just tested with MV 1.6.1 no plugs, default database. You'd need a plug-in to prevent it from doing that. Ace I don't have a default setup anymore due to the Steam Cloud mess (I had to create a dummy project and use that now to get a new project, but its not blank), so maybe it does require a script or plug-in to stop it in battle?

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: Ok, MV does let you use it before it is needed in battle. I just tested with MV 1.6.1. Youd need a plug-in to prevent it from doing that.
Which plug-in would you recommend?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No idea. I use Yanfly and don't see it in Yanfly battle engine in ACE (I just tested too). I don't use MV so no suggestions to give there.

I'll move this to plug-in requests though so someone can find you one.

Moving to plug-in Requests

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tamina Why do you refuse to show us a screenshot of the Revive skill itself? You keep going back to plugins but there's no evidence that's the issue, especially if you're seeing the same thing in a clean project. You're making the skill wrong, most likely.

Also, do not Double Post (posting immediately after yourself, unless 72 hours have passed and no one has posted since). If you need to quote multiple people click the little +Quote button on each post you want to quote, then click "INSERT QUOTES" near the text entry box and you can quote multiple people in a single post.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Wavelength : He did post it, its an attached picture elsewhere. And I tested a clean project in MV 1.6.1 with the default item, it is an issue with the engine as it will let you use it on someone who is not KO'd yet in battle in a default project.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Wavelength : He did post it, its an attached picture elsewhere. And I tested a clean project in MV 1.6.1 with the default item, it is an issue with the engine as it will let you use it on someone who is not KO'd yet in battle in a default project.
That picture was an example given by MysticEnigma, unless there's a bug on my end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Wow, lots of RPG Maker MV stuff on sale on Steam for 50%-75% off. Steam, why you not tell me?!
looking for help on top secret project
The nick "Toeuia" that I'm using comes from a, idk, you okay the chess game while chit chatting them. The first two are students. Then you know, finally, the champion, and then the champion's sensei. I played like this so many times until suddenly there's another chess master. Very naive but super smart. After he lost, he kinda advised me not to give up on chest. Because the next one was never seen beaten. Touya.
I'm currently playing Ara Fell - I can see why it's had generally good reviews. The exploration aspect is pretty strong and the writing is passable.

The game auto-saves and offers an option to turn back just before each major combat, and immediately brings the player back to the last position saved when there's a TPK. Convenient at the very least.
This is Krizzirk Toeuia Aeslan, I'm picking up transmission. Draftwingeds on, duty on, exhaust ready. 310 Immulicationsers approaching. I'll take the cake and----hold it!!! My Cosvere Radar detected 3001 of them!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kronicide