[RGD] DirectX implementation of RGSS3

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by invwindy, May 13, 2018.

1. ZirconStorms

ZirconStorms VX & VX Ace Scripts Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Don't post that as a spoiler post, post it as a code insert. Sixth's script is already broken with the smiley error.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Knighteriius likes this.
  2. JakenBear

JakenBear Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post this and @Sixth for taking the time to make it.
    I'll just have to go through and pick out the :)
    This will definitely help, thank you again.

3. Knighteriius

Knighteriius The Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oops! Thanks tv.ghost. Fixed it.

4. JakenBear

JakenBear Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Got them fixed, thank you.

xx -= 1 if press ? ( : LEFT )
    xx += 1 if press? ( : RIGHT )

Thanks again

Knighteriius likes this.
  5. Valentine90

Valentine90 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sometimes FPS drops considerably when you use only 1 animation on the map, which ends up affecting real-time battle systems. Note: I am using 1024x608 resolution.

6. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Knighteriius
    There are some errors still in that code. You probably just wrapped the code lines in code tags after the smileys were already converted, hence some smileys remain, just not in a picture format. For example:
    Code:
    press?:)LEFT)
    The bracket is messed up there.

Delete the whole code from that post, and copy/paste the original one again between code tags this time. This should fix all the errors in it.

Knighteriius and ZirconStorms like this.
  7. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Great, was looking for the XBOX Controller add-on myself too :D

Knighteriius likes this.
  8. jondel

jondel Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was look for a XBOX controller too

Knighteriius likes this.
  9. TheSorcerer

TheSorcerer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  10. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First, you probably missed this part:
    which means there was no official statement saying it was wrong.

And second, all the previously hidden classes can now be obtained from MV, which has no hidden classes at all. Even if they are written using a different language, they should work pretty much in the same way.

11. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mv classes/code is NOT ace classes/code. Yes, the logic may** be similar, it also may not, we will never know...

That being said - this system, and the one I wrote from the thread linked above, DO NOT USE HIDDEN CLASSES!!!! So that argument is 100% irrelevant tbh.

The reason that my system was disallowed was because I used calls that are not officially documented from the rgss301.dll file. This sytem does exactly that same thing. Thus, this system should have never been allowed - as mine, and other people who worked really freakin hard, got told to stop. But like I said on page3/4 of this thread. I'm not really complaining - this is a cool project and its great they allowed it..

Would have just been nice if they let us do it like 4 years earlier. The engine as a whole would have been so much better for it.. Like, this guy, wouldnt have had to write it, cause we did, then he coulda spent time doing some other awesome engine addition, thus, a better engine overall, for all..

Anyway, im ranting now... :D

TheSorcerer likes this.
  12. TheSorcerer

TheSorcerer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It did come from a staff member, which is the next best thing and no other staff came forward stating to the contrary. But that thread was full of 'no it is illegal' type posts and this one is 'full of good job' posts. Just seems that some devs are 'more equal than others'.

13. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As you can see from the post I quoted in the previous message, that very same staff member highlighted the fact that what he said was not an official statement. This means that, in truth, nobody told you to stop, and nobody had to say the contrary at all, since it was not official. If I tell you "you should stop, but I am not 100% sure" it does not mean "you have to stop". This and that are two different things, and this is an undeniable fact, not a matter of opinions.

That said, I do not know what the OP did to receive the approval, but I cannot see how this should not be allowed when other things were not officially stopped either. In the end, if the OP wanted to pursue this matter further, contacting Degica and receiving legal help with this matter, it is something we now nothing about - and since we are not th OP it is also something that should not concern us.

However, there are a couple of things that we know as a fact:
    • there was no official statement saying that something like this cannot be done;
    • this thread has been approved.
    Can you honestly say that those two things are in conflict with each other? I see no conflict there to be honest. If your concern is about why two things that look very similar are not treated equally. We, as game designers, should be the very first ones to know that we should not judge things based on appearance. Two games with almost identical dynamics might have different mechanics generating them...the same could have happened here, and we are not allowed to know what exactly happened. The only thing we know is that those two things are not in conflict with each other, and that should leave enough room for something like this to be approved.

However, I do not think we should discuss something like this to be honest. Since this has been approved, it means that it does have something different from other similar things that were done before (be it more effort from a legal standpoint, or something different in the code, that is something I do not know). Even the very same thing might be wrong in a certain situation, but right in a different situation. And this is why I mentioned MV. Even if the logic is not necessary the same thing, it is visible, and allows people to change it as much as they want. That might have caused a change in circumstances that made the same thing right in this point in time. Whatever the reason, discussing about that is useless since there are too many undetermined factors that we (as third parties) are not allowed to know.

We can keep discussing about them, we can keep guessing, but in the end, every conclusion we might achieve has the same chance of being true as any other conclusion (right or wrong, it does not matter). The only result would be a growing resentment, and I cannot see how that can be useful. The world is full of things that have different results when made at different times, even more so the world of games. Just be happy that finally a DirectX implementation of RGSS3 has been approved and use it if you want to. Discussing about the reason why it has been approved, without knowing what happened behind the curtains, is completely useless.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Knighteriius and ?????? like this.
  14. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    TBH, I highly doubt anything happened 'behind the curtains' - I tried to get information for contacting Degica directly (for this issue), got absolutely no where. But yea, you are right, there is certainly no point in speculating why this is allowed now..

The main point is - this thread PROOVES that calling functions from the rgss301.dll file IS ALLOWED regardless of what every single other mod and forum staff has stated in the past. - and thats very very sweet imo (even though i no longer use ace) :D

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I remember when this was opened, and we checked and they wrote their own dll. That is why it was allowed. Maybe staff can weigh in more though.

16. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ^ This is what I had done and was told it was disallowed - I also was not the one who found the functions, I just called them :)

17. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Odd, as per this: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201#

Section F says (if I read it correctly) it has to be allowed per the Millenium Digital Copyright Act, as long as it is adding interopability to the program, and is not used to make a competing product (there's a separate law in 1981 for the no competing product one, I didn't save the link). I think adding a new feature or improving compatibility would count.

Heirukichi and ?????? like this.
  18. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    dayum dude, where was that information when I was getting pooped all over in this thread lmao - where to request official apology ? :p (i jest)

But its good to know for sure that things like this are allowed now. Raises a whole host of possibilities for future ace developers (as rare as they are :D)

Heirukichi likes this.
  19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I wouldn't take mine as an official statement. Wait til staff weighs in. In just going off of what I remember plus internet research which both can be incorrect

?????? likes this.
  20. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ahh, no need to have staff weighing in - i wouldnt want this project to get shut down even if it wasnt allowed lol , so lets just not dredge up the past any further? :p