Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
This is not a modification of the original RGSS3.dll.
This did not modify the original game.exe and they created their own.
Therefore, there's no reverse engineering going on that modifies the exe or dll.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did not modify the rgss.dll. I did not modify the game exe. I created my own (that called the functions within the rgss.dll that added new code into the ruby environment on game launch - exactly like this system does). But either way, I'm not trying to cause a fuss. :)

TheSorcerer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Therefore, there's no reverse engineering going on that modifies the exe or dll.
Great to have that cleared up. :)

But...

He was told he was reverse engineering as the functions contained in the dll were (and still are) not publically available.

Now that it is no longer an issue, can I please request a copy of the functions and an explanation of what they all do as well, to save me 'reverse engineering' with 'dllviewer.exe'.

Ta :)

However, there are a couple of things that we know as a fact:
  • there was no official statement saying that something like this cannot be done;
  • this thread has been approved.
Well, yes. The other thread was discouraged by a staff member also. In that instance, would it not have been reasonable to expect the staff member would ask higher up for an official stance? Rather than kill of an awesome project through inaction?

If I were a staff member, I would have popped my head over the desk to ask the dude on the other side "is this ok"?

Now we have a case of one staff member say they "think it is ok" and the other saying "I don't think this is ok".

Which is it?

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
He was told he was reverse engineering as the functions contained in the dll were (and still are) not publically available.

Now that it is no longer an issue, can I please request a copy of the functions and an explanation of what they all do as well, to save me 'reverse engineering' with 'dllviewer.exe'.
They're not going to be public. If you insist I will close down this project forcibly for you trying to access closed source code.

TheSorcerer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They're not going to be public. If you insist I will close down this project forcibly for you trying to access closed source code.
So you are saying I should reverse engineer the functions?

If you insist I will close down this project forcibly for you trying to access closed source code.
No one has ever mentioned anything about accessing closed source code. Anywhere...

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, they are saying stop asking as they are not going to give them to you. It's as simple as that. Now please only post on this thread if you have something to add to the discussion on how the DirectX features work or wish to report a scripting issue.

PS: Only one staff member has said anything, and staff has changed in the last 4 years. I'm not staff. Also remember companies can change their mind in 4 years, and are free to do so, and they can change them again tomorrow.

TheSorcerer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, they are saying stop asking as they are not going to give them to you. It's as simple as that. Now please only post on this thread if you have something to add to the discussion on how the DirectX features work or wish to report a scripting issue.
Hmmm. You are not getting the point.

I personally don't wan't the functions at all.

Also remember companies can change their mind in 4 years, and are free to do so, and they can change them again tomorrow.
Um, no. No they can't. The company is bound by the EULA at that point of version release. You can't retrospectively change a EULA.

Looking at function names is a far cry from reverse engineering. If I look inside someones car window, can I be charged with breaking and entering? Can't even be charged with trespassing if the car is parked on the street.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You're not getting the point either. How they got them or permission is not relevant to you, nor is it information you need to know.

TheSorcerer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How they got them or permission is not relevant to you
Interesting. I would have thought that a better path would have been 'to get permission, what you need to do is...'

Not a problem.

No further replies on this topic from me, as requested. :)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry, I just don't know HOW you can get permission, else I would have posted that too. No offense meant.

dsiver144

Peaceful Days Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Has anyone tested this with an AMD graphic card? I saw the note this in his web page:
"Crashes may happen on AMD graphic cards when running RGD. It is still unknown whether the crashes are caused by incompatibility of DirectX9 and AMD graphics. There is no solution for this issue at present."

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@dsiver144 I tested it with an AMD A8 + Radeon R5 and it works even better than with my other machine with Intel + NVidia. I think that it goes on per-case-basis. I am afraid you have to test it on your own.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Afaik the actual script for the mouse is embedded into the RGD.exe itself or its required files.

But by default, it doesnt do anything in the game. It simply provides you of a way to use mouse on your game, which means whatever mouse functionality you wanna add needs to be scripted by you. You would be using the methods described in that file to create your own methods / mouse system.

Like if you'd want your character to move in the map using mouse clicks, you'd create a script that hooks to the map update method which then utilizes the included press? and x/y methods of RGD's mouse support to determine if the character should move and to where.

Without RGD's mouse support, you will first need to figure out how to write a script or a dll that will read the mouse properties for you. But since RGD has done that part for you, all you need to do know is to use those methods to implement the mouse features that you want.

Last edited:

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This looks cool. Is it plug and play? ;)

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, it is. You only need to copy the executable file in your project folder.

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks, I have an Nvidia graphics card and I'd love to try this out sometime. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Potato The game! Few concepts for characters to my game.
Well, well, well, well....Lemme get a look at this fanart.
The Google Play rating for one of my games finally rose above 4.0 after getting review-bombed from a $0 sale. Now the game's sales are doing much better when discounted, so that's nice.
I'm getting close to releasing a demo. Working on formatting my Games in Development post.
I always see a few people asking for C# in next engine and I always thought: Do I not know enough about that language to tell it will affect extensibility and customizability to the negative? Watching a video from SumRndmDde today I feel confirmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swordk