Not open for further replies.

chwparker

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried contacting support, but they never responded. My computer easily exceeds the program's system requirements. I've tried reinstalling, temporarily disabling antivirus, defraging my computer, closing other other programs, and rebooting, but MV still keeps crashing either as it's loading or shortly after loading. How can I fix this? I'm using Windows 10.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Tech Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How does it crash? Does it give an error message? If so take a screenshot of it. Or does it just close suddenly with no message? Does it stop responding and hang suspended for a time before closing?

EDIT: Or something else?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
are you using the steam or the standalone version?
if you go into the device manager and check your display driver, who is the chip manufacturer (usually either nVidia, AMD or Intel but there are others) and who is the driver manufacturer (sometimes Windows installs Microsoft drivers instead of the manufacturer drivers, and that is usually bad for programs using OpenGL)

we need more details on what exactly happens to help, so please answer my questions as well as the ones from the poster above.

chwparker

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How does it crash? Does it give an error message? If so take a screenshot of it. Or does it just close suddenly with no message? Does it stop responding and hang suspended for a time before closing?

EDIT: Or something else?
No error message, it just works right up until it crashes. Sometimes it will freeze very briefly. Or, it'll just crash during the loading screen. Thanks for responding.

are you using the steam or the standalone version?
if you go into the device manager and check your display driver, who is the chip manufacturer (usually either nVidia, AMD or Intel but there are others) and who is the driver manufacturer (sometimes Windows installs Microsoft drivers instead of the manufacturer drivers, and that is usually bad for programs using OpenGL)

we need more details on what exactly happens to help, so please answer my questions as well as the ones from the poster above.
Thanks for responding. It's the standalone version. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M for performance and an Intel HD Graphics 4000 for battery saver. The program crashes even when the laptop is plugged in. According to the properties, the driver is updated for both. The NVIDIA driver is listed as coming from NVIDIA. Let me know if you need additional details or screenshots.

Last edited by a moderator:

chwparker

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
how long does it work?
please give the time for the earliest crash you experienced as well as the longest time you could work before crashing.

EDIT:

how did you determine that the driver is up-to-date?
For some reason, it's not allowing me to upload a screenshot, but when I checked device manager, it said "the best drivers for your device are already installed". It happened the first Dr t time I opened the program. The longest it's lasted is maybe 5 minutes.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) the update-check in the device manager does not include all possible drivers, it only includes Microsoft-registered ones. And sometimes the display companies intentionally release drivers that are not registered by microsoft due to the additional requirements for registered drivers.
You need to check with the download on the company website (nvidia) to find out if your driver is really up to date.

2) if the program can run up to five minutes before crashing, then it's a conflict with something else on your computer that crashes the program - any true defect would crash on launch. And that other program is not your antivirus because antivirus programs are required to be faster (they usually crash the program within one second of launch if they suspect it of being infected).

Variable time up to five minutes sounds as either a harddrive reorganisation program (something like an automatic backup or a cloud service or so), a real HDD-defect (can you use a program like checkdrive to read out the SMART-state of your harddrive? It should be above 80%, if it is below 80% that would indicate your drive is old and a few months short of hardware failure).

It might also be something else activating in the background

chwparker

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) the update-check in the device manager does not include all possible drivers, it only includes Microsoft-registered ones. And sometimes the display companies intentionally release drivers that are not registered by microsoft due to the additional requirements for registered drivers.
You need to check with the download on the company website (nvidia) to find out if your driver is really up to date.

2) if the program can run up to five minutes before crashing, then it's a conflict with something else on your computer that crashes the program - any true defect would crash on launch. And that other program is not your antivirus because antivirus programs are required to be faster (they usually crash the program within one second of launch if they suspect it of being infected).

Variable time up to five minutes sounds as either a harddrive reorganisation program (something like an automatic backup or a cloud service or so), a real HDD-defect (can you use a program like checkdrive to read out the SMART-state of your harddrive? It should be above 80%, if it is below 80% that would indicate your drive is old and a few months short of hardware failure).

It might also be something else activating in the background
Ah, I didn't know a backup service would be a problem. It's working now! Thanks again for your help.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I didn't know a backup service would be a problem.
All RPG-Makers handle their files like a databasing program (like MS Access or Filemaker), not like regular programs. And for the same reason - it's simply too much data, a regular save access would require too long to save everything, and be a big drain on available RAM.
Databasing access means that the files are constantly open and being written (the save command only forces syncronisation), and that in turn cause conflicts with cloudsync'ing and background backups because every file can only be opened once by a single program.

tito

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am running into the same issue. RMMV doesn't load up in the Windows Steam version for the past 4 months for me. I have tried everything obvious that has been commented on this forum before. Still... no success.
It is still working on Ubuntu, though.
The problem is that we are on a commercial project for the past 2 years and this issue is delaying our development. Also, Ubuntu version cannot deploy any projects.
My hands are tied right now. I see there are more people commenting about this problem recently. Please, fix this. I am about to reformat my entire OS to solve this, what would delay even more other projects on course. That means... more time loss... more money loss.
Please, help to investigate this issue.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@tito Please do not hijack someone else's thread with your own query. The OP's problem was caused by a back up program, and one assumes that is not the case with you. Please post your own thread, setting out the precise details of what is happening, as the same final result can have a range of different causes.

As the OP's query was fully resolved, I am closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

This little brat (my nephew) just invent a new way of enjoying his orange juice by pouring it inside of used perfume bottle and sprayed it to his mouth...
Jamaica? No, Aunty. I said, I'm on RPG Maker :*/
Lunar New Year is over :( but it's time to get back to work!
I keep giving myself deadlines because I'm so excited to finish something but I notice areas where I'm rushing the story and that's what's gonna weaken my overall project, gotta stop that
My new level features a Jellyfish character who cannot love, because he electrocutes everything he touches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackosmiles