[RGSS3] Window Textbox 1.2.2

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by Zalerinian, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Window Textbox v1.2.2 - March 22nd, 2014

Introduction

The textbox script allows  developer to prompt the user for keyboard input, allowing them to type in a response in realtime.

Features

- Realtime keyboard input

- Multiple charsets for a specific type of input

- Unicode support

- Supports copy and paste

- Able to run in events for easy input capture

Screenshots

[​IMG]

How to Use

This script is plug-n-play, with multiple configuration options.

Demo

No demo is currently available for this script.

Script

Get the script here.

FAQ

N/A

Credit and Thanks

- Credit is option, but appreciated. However, do not claim you wrote this.

- Credit Zalerinian if you wish.

Author’s Notes

Known Issues:

- The cursor does not appear unless the textbox is created in a scene. Fixed as of v1.2.3

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  2. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Usefullllllllll~

is can be  also use for exemple : activated a conversation who you need to put a button ? (like tale of symphonia!)

3. cremnophobia

cremnophobia Veteran Veteran

It doesn't support Unicode. It uses ANSI functions and also doesn't transcode strings. That's sadly a common problem in RGSS scripts that deal with strings and the Windows API. Which character encoding anyway? UTF-8 (RGSS) or UTF-16LE (Windows)?

It also just supports the usual US keyboard layout. Umlauts or cyrillic letters can't be entered when the respective layout is used. Pasting doesn't work as expected either.

Other than that, it's a somewhat often requested script. As it was already mentioned, it's quite useful and nice to have. The default name input feels weird when a keyboard is used to play the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  4. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The Unicode characters are entered by holding alt and tapping in the code for the character by the number keys. Due to how Windows handles the numpad, the script is unable to use that with numlock on. 

The reason the US keyboard is the only one supported is because that is the only one I have access to, and it is difficult to program for something you cannot test with.

Could you please explain how you mean with the paste doesn't work as you'd expect? Perhaps I could have it changed, or explain how it works more.

Other than those points, I'm glad you like it.

And just a picture showing the additional characters the textbox can show. Do keep in mind the font your game uses has to be able to display the character, or it'll just come up as one of the boxes as shown below

[​IMG]

5. cremnophobia

Yes, Unicode codepoint input with the numpad works. I didn't know that your script supports that. That should be documented or did I just miss that?

But pasting or direct keyboard input doesn't. For example, copy one of the Windows_NameInput characters. They can be drawn with the default font, of course.

And having only a US keyboard is not a problem. I have one, too! You can easily change and switch between the layouts under Windows. Changing the ANSI code page is not as easy.

6. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It does appear that the clipboard doesn't allow for non-ANSI characters. I'll have to look into fixing that. I do understand that some of the scripts I have posted today have some bugs in them, however none of them are too disruptive. I will be fixing them as time allows, as most of my time now I'm working on a commercial game.

I will try to get this fixed as soon as I can, thank you for noting the issue.

7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    wow, this is useful... time to get rid of those actor name input workaround

8. cremnophobia

Okay, it's most likely not a small change. Feel free to PM me, if you need a hint or help!

9. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Updated to v1.2.3!

- This update fixes the cursor not appearing when the window was not the size of the screen.