RIP Wii U

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    As of March 3rd, 2017 (might be another hour or so for you depending where you live) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is released on Wii U and Nintendo Switch systems worldwide. The game is confirmed to be the last first-party title for the Wii U. In fanbase terms, the console is officially 'dead'.

Let's take a moment of silence to remember all the great experiences this console brought some of use:

Seriously though, while I think the Wii U was a good console, it's extremely infamous for it's poor sales and forced gimmick. I feel that games like Star Fox Zero would have been much better if I could just use a traditional controller.

Still, there were a few games that made good use of the gamepad. So let's talk about those. What games do you think actually made good use of the second screen? I personally believe Mario Maker did it the best, without the touch screen level editing wouldn't be nearly as convenient.

2. Trihan

Trihan Speedy Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the biggest thing that did in the Wii U was Nintendo's lack of effective marketing for it. Too many people thought it was simply an addon for the Wii and by the time they were coming round to its viability as its own console, the opportunity to make it a success was gone.

Seacliff likes this.
  3. Jef299

Jef299 Fifteen Mush-ups! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Lack of a "Mario galaxy" title.

Seacliff likes this.
  4. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Ahead of its' time, like so many other advances in technology.

Ha ha ha. Kidding.

More or less, bad timing when other and more popular game titles and companies were releasing on other consoles. Thinking about it, Guitar Hero LIVE was released around the same time as the Wii U, and Wii U did NOT get a share of the title, only being released on the PS4 and Xbox ONE, same with Rock Band 4.

Also, Square Enix had decided to not even bother with trying to reestablish ties with Nintendo, therefore FF titles were also off the market for Wii U. A lot of high selling genres and titles were simply not available at the time of Wii U's release, nor would it of happened.

As I've never got to play a Wii U for more than a few hours total, I cannot say much on what I liked or didn't like, but being able to play the game using the screen on the controller and not needing the television at all was nice...

However, the PSP/Go and PS Vita were better for that purpose.

Seacliff likes this.
  5. Clades

Clades doesn't exist Member

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It was a great console in my opinion, even it didn't reach the popularity like the PS4 or Xbox One. I own a Wii U and can tell that it has great exclusive games (Smash Bros Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Twilight Princess HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker, Star Fox, etc.).

And I can imagine in 5 or 8 years the Wii U become a rarity because of its small sales and people collecting games and consoles will fight for getting this console. Same with games like Project Zero: Maiden of the Black Water, Xenoblade Chronicles X maybe too, Scribblenauts Unmasked (only European version because it was released exclusive in Australia) or Tokyo Mirage Session, these games (and most of all the limited editions) will become rarities.
    During the people drive with the hype train for playing Switch I still will collect Wii U titles I want before getting a Switch.

Technically the PSVita has great power (I saw a few reviews), the problem is it is too expensive to program on it and developer are unsure if the vita will sell well. And this marketing wasn't as better as the Wii U in my opinion. I never heard that Sony wanted to bring a new handheld game console on the market, never heard of an advertising or something like that. One day I saw it in a video game store and I wonder, that Sony released a successor of the PSP.
    Furthermore it is a console with a lack of exclusive titles unlike the Wii U. The known blockbuster titles are ports from other systems like PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360 etc., so why I should buy the Vita when I have already a console for the relevant game?
    I don't want to push the vita down but it has similar problems like the Wii U (lack of third-party-support, lack of effective marketing).

byronclaude likes this.
  6. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Clades Actually, the PS Vita had a great library of titles, and one could transfer the PS3 game they were playing to their Vita and continue playing it on the go. It was very innovative and the ONLY system to do so.

In truth, Sony was considering not going any further in console development after the PS3, so they did release the PS Vita, which is not a replacement for the PSP because the PS Vita cannot play PSP format games/media at all.

PS4, Xbox One, likely the last consoles for us. Same with Switch.

Everyone is going mobile now, and what a joke.

You can't play Guitar Hero or Rock Band on mobile, don't even try.

7. Trihan

Trihan Speedy Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The DS version of Guitar Hero was pretty rockin'.

Reapergurl likes this.
  8. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Trihan If one could hold the DS sideways like that. I actually cannot.

That being said, I did mean mobile phones and tablets, not handheld gaming devices built for such things.

I did like Rock Band Unplugged for PSP/Go...

9. Clades

Clades doesn't exist Member

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That's cool of course but if I can play it on PS3 then I play it on the PS3, so why buying a Vita? In addition the space of the Vita isn't unlimited and you need a lot of space, if you want to transfer 100 PS3-titles on the vita for go. And it is an annoying process to delete installed games just for putting another game in.
    And can you mention some exclusive-titles for the vita? Than I would give it a try.

That's because they and the customers think that's the best, it can't be better. And still they create new consoles with new features. When the Wii was released I thought it can't be better (with the wii-remote but also the possibility to play with a regular controller). Then later the Wii U was on its way (one screen on the gamepad and one screen on the TV, it is a cool idea but unfortunately wasted potential and bad marketing). And now we have the Switch: you can choose if you play Switch at home or on your way to work.
    Technology still continues developing and so new ideas and innovations will born. So I think home-consoles won't die out.

10. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I don't know, this console has sales on par with the Dreamcast but finding that and it's games aren't really hard. Specific games like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are definitely another story, I need to be sure to get those myself.

This is true. Ironically the Vita's biggest flaw was that it was TOO powerful. The console wasn't that far behind the PS3 (as seen with all the ports) and the PS4 was still years away, so to develop a game for the PSVita and take advantage of it's power might take a AAA budget. It's hard for developers to get the budget back if the games are sold at the handheld price of $40, so they didn't both developing for it.

11. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wii U... it's peak has passed... but there is a generation of us regular NES and SNES users who are coming back into the video game world hard and heavy... and having worked hard to establish ourselves in the world (earn a paycheck that actually starts to cover the bills) we have decided it is time for a little "Me" time. For many of us that translates into "inner-child" which was largely composed of Link, Zelda, Mario... ...and the kinds of worlds that despite Playstation and Xbox technology, have only been delivered in a way that can be done by Nintendo themselves.

I own a Wii U... and in the past six months, I have become an unofficial patron of Nintendo - loading my external hard-drive full of games.

I wish I had been paying attention to Wii U earlier. It is a great system - and the touch screen controller adds a kind of functionality that I would have loved to explore as a programmer (oh Wii U... why couldn't you have waited just a couple more years!).

Fortunately, third-party developers are still releasing titles on the system... and I have enjoyed hours of game play already from such developers. I hope this continues for a long time, because I intend to keep buying. (Don't worry Wii U... I'm not quite letting you go just yet :) )

It is my understanding that Nintendo has a larger developer base going into the Switch. I will by obtaining this system in the near future - if for no other reason, than to be a returning patron to Nintendo... the pioneers who have, in my opinion, kept the industry on it's toes quite often.

Reapergurl likes this.
  12. Lunixx

Lunixx Vampiric Empress Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The best part of the Wii U dying, now Nintendo will lay off the Cemu. Zelda BoTW for days on PC now. Along with other titles. Now for the Switch emu.

Reapergurl likes this.
  13. Kaptain J

Kaptain J The 2nd Chosen One Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, Guitar Hero Live was released for Wii U. I have a Wii U copy myself, so I just thought I'd clarify.

In any case, RIP Wii U. I played you a lot, despite developers giving you the shaft besides Nintendo themselves. You will be missed. But not much since the Switch is out now.

Reapergurl likes this.