RMMV River Lord [IGMC 2018]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by l8rose, Nov 20, 2018.

1. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

R
    iver Lord is a Fantasy RPG set on a chain of islands. Take on the role of Koi, a young orphan on the cup of adulthood, as they discover secrets of their past and journey into an uncertain future. Starting out, they are accompanied by a set of twins but their party may grow depending on their choices.

Koi
    koi_femalesketch.png koi_malesketch.png

Koi is the main character of our story. An individual on the cusp of adulthood, they have lived most of their life in the quiet village of Kelos. Ten years prior to the beginning of River Lord, Koi was found clinging to life on the banks of the Accades River. Koi does remember the life before but the memories have become distorted with time.
    Koi’s personality is determined by the actions of the player.
    Koi begins the game as a warrior class with a simple knife as their main weapon. Throughout the gameplay, Koi will unlock new abilities and powers.
    Changeable Name and Gender

Sorcha
    sorchasketch.png

Sorcha is the younger sister of a set of twins. She has lived her entire life in Kelos Village but dreams of one day moving to somewhere more exciting. Sorcha prefers to be sitting out on the mountain paths or in hard to reach places.
    Sorcha, with her twin brother Nial, have been friends with Koi since they were children. Sorcha is the friend instigating trouble for the trio. If it’s against the rules then even better. Somehow, she manages to get them all out of trouble once she gets them in.
    Sorcha begins the game as a warrior class with a bow as her main weapon.
    Recruitable & Quest Giver

Nial
    nialflatcolor.png

Nial is the elder brother of a set of twins. He has lived his entire life in Kelos Village with the occasional trip to one of the larger villages with this Father. He has taken up apprenticeship to Hunter Irgaz and is often found either in the forest or working with the older Villager.
    Nial, with his twin sister Sorcha, have been friends with Koi since they were children. Nial is the more dependable twin, often doing what is expected of him instead of what he’d want to do. That being said, he tends to go along with whatever Koi suggests but will always be the friend advocating common sense.
    Nial begins the game as a warrior class with a sword as their main weapon.
    Recruitable & Quest Giver

River Lord takes place on a series of islands, beginning in the village of Kelos. A small village, it houses several NPCs that offer quests as well as vendors. The main story revolves around Koi and discovering new changes as they become an adult. Along the way, Koi discovers that there is a problem affecting the islands and those who live there.
    Magic exists in the game but the initial characters will all start out as basic villagers. The player will get to change their class as well as have them learn additional abilities. The world itself is a mix of fantasy and medieval.

• Finish maps
    • Update busts
    • Continue storyline
    • Update quest journal

elderhouse.png genderchoose.png

Monsters
    f3Ojkd.png En7Lyg.png
    Additional Character designs
    fW0kNO.png

Art - Avery, Pandamaru, Hiddenone, Sythian Bard, Indrah, Whtdragon, FSM Town & Forest
    Plugins - Huddel, Yanfly
    Music - Murray Atkinson, Jukebox, Wonderland Music Pack, Fantasy Music

If I forgot someone here, please let me know. I will be adding in the proper music credits once I've selected all the appropriate music.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Time crunch is on for the IGMC 2018 deadline but progressing quite well with this.
    Longer storyline (working on getting the main quest closer to that hour length) and potentially adjusting the sprites to larger form over the next two days before submitting.
    Temporarily disabled the Gender Choice to allow for more content on at least one story path (less time working on alternate routes/images to focus on the main storyline). Removed a plugin that didn't fit with my final view of the game. While adjusted the menu layout to remove a few options.
    Going to have a demo up on this thread once the Judging for IGMC 2018 is done.

Plan for December is to at least work on my own Class and Skill training Plugin as right now, can't find one to quite fit what I want and my events look pretty gross with how they're laid out right now. Too many nested IF loops on too many event pages. I'm also going to design a different window instead of the one from the MV plugin (I like it but I want it more "water" like).

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  3. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  4. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Working on some more art for the game before getting back to playing more IGMC 2018 submissions.
    blighted_toad.png
    kirunsketch.png

I'll probably start more heavily working on the game beyond art once finals are over but already fixing a few of the problems people let me know about.

5. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Been working steadily on this (when I wasn't studying) but most of the updates are on the itch.io devlogs so to sum it up:
    Art: Started making larger sprites, started the extra characters that weren't in the IGMC demo, started to edit a few character images (both to design them a little better and to fix some mistakes), finished a few other maps.

Technical-ish: Started working on a HUD, updated the save file system, fixed the map that was utterly broken in the demo, fixed the festival restart. also increased the size of the Festival map so that the "shake" animation doesn't show black borders.

Decided this week to change Koi's "dialogue" image to be more similar to a VN style to allow more room for other character images and to display sprite events better. They'll be smaller then the others but I feel that'd give it a clearer division between who's being interacted with and who's the main character. Here's the preliminary redesign for both:

FBKoi_Side_images.png

And that's about it for this mid-December update.

6. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Still chugging away on art for the game.

I've done a few monsters who's sketches have been posted on my art thread here so I won't repost but that means I'm swapping out the default RPGMaker monster artwork for new stuff. I'll also need to create new sprites for those (or get someone else to do them) to better fit the change in the artwork.

Also redoing the HUD I was working on but may end up completely removing that as I don't really like the way it looks. I may just change the HUD to reflect some stats in the game (like the in game time, amount of River Stones and such).

Decided to do a bit of an update to the battle sprites before I continue on the storyline. Different characters will have a different amount of sprites based on their available classes in the game.

Nial's wip Sprites:

[​IMG]

samkfj likes this.