RM MV Toolbar display issues - unplayable

kINGFreak13

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I just purchased RPG Maker MV on Steam and ran into an immediate, game-breaking issue. I'm having issues with the taskbar / tool bars displaying in a corrupted manner - and have tried the following: File Validation, Uninstall / Reinstall, disabling dlc, as well as installing the game on 2 different hard drives. I am using no plug-ins and am running a fresh install - not missing any windows or graphics updates.

Any help would be appreciated,

The glitch I'm experiencing is shown in the screenshots below: Screenshot 2021-05-13 161558.jpgScreenshot 2021-05-13 171404.jpg

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
do you have a computer with two graphic cards/chips?
one of the possible causes is if the priority setting for the display cards in their drivers is wrong.

I don't remember it exactly from the last time it was reported, but the setting is in the driver for the onboard 2D chip (usually Intel), and NOT part of the regular windows options.
You need to run the configuration program for that chip, and assign it there.

kINGFreak13

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
do you have a computer with two graphic cards/chips?
one of the possible causes is if the priority setting for the display cards in their drivers is wrong.

I don't remember it exactly from the last time it was reported, but the setting is in the driver for the onboard 2D chip (usually Intel), and NOT part of the regular windows options.
You need to run the configuration program for that chip, and assign it there.
I do only run one graphics card - I have the most up to date driver for that card from my AMD app updater, although windows seems to offer an alternate optional update for my GPU. Though I doubt it's a driver error. I run RPG Maker VX Ace on my rig with no similar errors to the interface or any graphics.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do only run one graphics card
I don't know if that is a language translation problem, but it does not matter if you use only one graphic card as long as a second one is build in and may be active at the same time.
So if your device manager lists two display chip at the same time, you'll still need to check on this option even if you do not remember ever using the second display card before.
Because usually this is done in the background and only on desktop display, never on games that disable desktop while playing.

Though I doubt it's a driver error. I run RPG Maker VX Ace on my rig with no similar errors to the interface or any graphics.
The first sentence has absolutely nothing to do with the second one.
The Ace editor uses a completely different framework for display than the MV editor.
What you're saying is something like "my mercedes can't be out of gas because I just filled up my bmw" - problems with one car have nothing to do with problems in the other.

I have the most up to date driver for that card from my AMD app updater, although windows seems to offer an alternate optional update for my GPU.
if the app is from AMD itself, please do not use the driver update "suggested" by windows. But please check for this to make sure.
There are two different driver sets out there, one programmed by AMD itself and one programmed by Microsoft. As Windows is from Microsoft, it tries to favor the MS one as soon as you made the mistake of installing it even once - and the MS drivers have two problems. First, they're programmed for stability instead of performance and second (and most important) they focus on Microsoft's own DirectX instead of the OpenGL functions. And RMMV requires OpenGL, it does not use DirectX.

Back to the second part above:
RMMV uses the Qt Framework. This is a framework that is used by other programs as well (Ace' framework is a custom one I think).
So if you have another program installed using the Qt framework in a slightly different version, that might have caused a conflict that resulted in those errors as well.

To clarify: "framework" is a programmer's term for a set of functions to be used for several things without having to reinvent the wheel for everything. What a user can see from that is usually the "look and feel" of the program - like MV not using typical windows tabs on the top line in the database, but using a selector list that goes in a left column in the database. Do you remeber any other program of yours having a similar "look and feel" in its windows?
That might point out that you could have a Qt version conflict.

kINGFreak13

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm thinking that the Qt Framwork is the issue - as I do not use windows GPU drivers - and today, just for curiosity sake, I purchased RPG Maker MV on steam to see if I would have any better luck - and I have the exact same toolbar display issue on MV - even after uninstalling MV and VX Ace - then installing only RPG Maker MV - still, the toolbars for MV display improperly. After reinstalling VX Ace - the toolbars still show correctly - so it seems VX ACE has hi-jacked my "Qt Framework" as only VX Ace works properly on my pc - how do I fix this?!
"Back to the second part above:
RMMV uses the Qt Framework. This is a framework that is used by other programs as well (Ace' framework is a custom one I think).
So if you have another program installed using the Qt framework in a slightly different version, that might have caused a conflict that resulted in those errors as well."

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I know it's a waste of time, but I decided to create a script that forces the RM2k game to always be in windowed mode. Just for fun anyway.
Rm2k.png
Coding some stuff. I just hope I'll be able to finish before school starts.
It's nice and breezy as well cool here, no AC needed! But keep you cozy
MrSaturnMZ.png Can confirm that Mr. Saturn is appearing in Vtubers Vs MOTHER and here's the MV/MZ compatible sprite sheet for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannesm