The Dragon God

Indie Game Dev, Concept Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
  One of my fans downloaded and installed a demo of mine from RM VX Ace. Is it compatible on Windows 8.1? Does he and/or anyone who wants to play my games need the RTP as well?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you didn't do the NO-RTP trick and shipped the game without the RTP, then yes, they will need to have the RTP...

as for compatibility, I think so as I haven't seen yet any post about incompatibilities with 8.1

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried compressing the game data with RTP included BUT I got a error -_- 

So yea, good thing I already uploaded the RTP files, so I just need to link it 

over to my website, and presto!! 

I am concern about that error I got. Thanks btw. I'll give my fans the RTP then.

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
Windows 8 is wonky in general just letting you know. So he/she may run into issues. However they could try windows xp service pack 3 compatibility if anything.

Also they can just get the RTP here.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What error did you get?

and personally I prefer if people will simply link back to the OFFICIAL RTP download page in the main site rather than uploading it somewhere... it just seems more proper since it's a property of EB and so that they will be able to see and read the EULA of the RTP too... http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Windows 8 is wonky in general just letting you know. So he/she may run into issues. However they could try windows xp service pack 3 compatibility if anything.

Also they can just get the RTP here.
I wouldn't know, I got my laptop for $50 off a guy who got it from a garbage place. Most noticeable problem - the battery. I heard Windows 8 was bad, I perfer Windows 7. But thx for the information.

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What error did you get?

and personally I prefer if people will simply link back to the OFFICIAL RTP download page in the main site rather than uploading it somewhere... it just seems more proper since it's a property of EB and so that they will be able to see and read the EULA of the RTP too... http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages

I wouldn't know, I got my laptop for $50 off a guy who got it from a garbage place. Most noticeable problem - the battery. I heard Windows 8 was bad, I perfer Windows 7. But thx for the information.
I didn't think to link DL from here. Sorry got too excited over deving my game. BUT I agree, it's EB's property. The error I got was a mgs saying it failed to compress the data.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
don't double post please... and you still didn't answer the question as to what error did you encounter when you tried to compress with RTP... what exactly is it, and when does it happen (during compression or during the actual play for example)? 

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
don't double post please... and you still didn't answer the question as to what error did you encounter when you tried to compress with RTP... what exactly is it, and when does it happen (during compression or during the actual play for example)? 
Sorry not trying to double post,I didn't see your reply until after I posted my first post. I didn't want to break the rules so I tried to multiquote thinking in theory it would overwrite and or allow me to edit my first quoting post. 

As for your question, I'm going to answer it, my laptop is very slow. I lost my job last year so I have no more money to buy a fancy laptop with fancy features and fast internet. I use what I got, even my PS3 lags. Still I'm blessed, thank you God! 

I'm currently retrying the compression.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
you could click quote my post, turn to BB code mode (the button near the eraser looking button), copy the code, edit your old post and paste the code there... :)

As for your question, I'm going to answer it, my laptop is very slow. I lost my job last year so I have no more money to buy a fancy laptop with fancy features and fast internet. I use what I got, even my PS3 lags. Still I'm blessed, thank you God! 

I'm currently retrying the compression.
okay... so it does happen during compression, right?

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, I'll try to remember that.

Ok the error occurs after I compress the game data with the RTP file. After bar is full it literally says

"failed to compress game data"

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How big is the size of your project?

and are you sure you are saving it to a place where you can save?

and how many times have you tried it?

if it really won't go through, then yeah just put up the link to the RTP dl page

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
Does the compression work without the RTP?

Maybe the RTP itself is damaged?

Maybe the project itself somehow got damaged in the process.

adiktuzmiko always a minute ahead of me XD

BladesOfGlory

Lord of Cheese
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey guys!

I'm actually the "fan" that couldn't run the demo. Thanks Dragon God for your help.

As you have read, I'm having problems running his demo. I couldn't run the game even with the RTP file installed.

I already tried the backward compatibility settings but that didn't work. I also agree with Windows 8 being "wonky" and almost makes me want to switch back to Vista.

That's pretty much the gist of the whole thing. I wasn't aware of Dragon God's error with the RTP file though.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
actually, if you read his post, it doesn't say anything about you having problems... he just said a fan downloaded it and asked if it's win8.1 compatible... that alone isn't enough to say that you were actually having problems... more like just a precautionary question... :)

anyway what happens when you try to run the game? does it show an error message? if yes, then can we see a screenshot of the error?

PS: Windows 7 is still my preferred OS... XD

BladesOfGlory

Lord of Cheese
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
:p Silly me!

There are no error messages. The game simply won't run no matter how many times I click on it.

When I click on the icon, nothing happens. No window, no popup message, nothing...

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh... That's weird... might be problem with win8.1 or with the settings... How large is the file? If it's quite small, I can maybe try it out in this win7 comp just to see if the problem is specific to the OS...

BladesOfGlory

Lord of Cheese
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm... What's weird is that I can't even see the game listed when you try to uninstall it.

In the properties settings, it says that the game is at least 137 KB.  

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The game doesn't really install (it's just extracted) so you can't see it there...

The whole game folder file size, not the exe... the exe doesn't really contain any large thingy, it's just a player application that reads the files inside the game folder and runs the RGSS3 scripts which is why it's small...

BladesOfGlory

Lord of Cheese
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You know something? I think I installed the player without the game. I can't see the game folder anywhere.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Seeker Clones.png
Work on the Decepticon Seeker sprites is taking longer than I anticipated. I have five down: Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Acid Storm and Nova Storm. Three left to go: Ion Storm, Sunstorm (needs rework), and Slipstream. After completing their walking sprites, should I wait to post them after I've done a transformation sequence?
yRMekcF.gif

Run, <null> run!
(sprite got butchered a bit while making gif file...)
WOOP WOOP!
NEW CHARACTER ALERT!!!
Please, welcome to the stage...
Ramona Albright.png

Ramona Albright! A 20-year old World Key Guardian in training (More about the WKG's soon!), She is very impulsive, which leads us to the problem of the game. OOF. Kinda wanna wait till you know how to use the friggin World Key, huh?!
Bust sketch here!
IMG_20220124_110105.jpg
Little-by-little, keep improving your projects. That's how you finish them! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpe_Noctum