Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
(my system: Windows XP Pro SP3)

Hi,

I buy RM XP, install it, activate it ...without problem. I click on "New Project", I name my project and its folder, and I keep the default location (C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP\System\myproject). Then I click on "Ok". And a error message appears : "Failed to load actor data.", and the project does'nt open. In the Windows explorer I look the folder and everything looks ok (there are the audio folders, the graphics folders, Game.exe, Game.ini and Game.rxproj - is something missing ?). And when I try to open the project with the editor, of course the same error message (and the project does'nt open).

: (

Thanks for your future help.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to XP Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

This error usually means a file is corrupt. Actor data is in Data/Actors.rxdata - does that file exist? If you haven't actually done anything in your project yet, just try deleting the whole folder and creating a new project from scratch. If you HAVE set up some things, try creating a new project and copying the Actors.rxdata file from it into the old project.

Nemau

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
just try deleting the whole folder and creating a new project from scratch
I've tried and there is the same problem for every project creation.

Actor data is in Data/Actors.rxdata - does that file exist?
Yes.

As I've said in my first post, there is no "Data" folder in the projects folders (there is one "Data" folder, but only next to the projects folders). Is it normal? Because I've tried to copy this "Data" folder in the folder of a project and this works. But the program looks still bugged: transparancy color (in the tileset to the right, for example) is a weird pink (instead of white) and when I use the "custom transparency color" function it modifies only the color ...of the zone behind the map. o_o' (but the transparency system works ...but it's weird though, no ?)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're not trying to create a project in the same folder that XP is installed into, are you?

I redownloaded XP recently and have the same issue with the transparency colour - it changes every time I load up the program. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though - just hard to get used to.

You should have a folder structure something like this when you start a new project:

Code:
Project (parent folder)- Audio (folder)- Data (folder)- Graphics (folder)- Scripts (folder)- Game.exe- Game.ini- Game.rxproj
If yours is not like that, can you take a screenshot and show us what it looks like?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RMXP's default location is the program folder - which is a very old configuration that is against the rules in more modern windows versions (in Win8, you can't even create your project in the default location).

WinXP should have no problem with that location, but if you had some more modern third-party-updates, they might cause you problems there (because there is a good reason why that folder had become restricted in modern windows versions).

Try to make a new project into the "My Documents" folder - that's the place where it should be in modern windows version.

If making a new default project into "my documents" also fails, then the base files for project creation are damaged. Deinstall RMXP, run defrag and HDD repair check (just to be on the save side in case of a HDD problem), redownload it again and install it from the newly downloaded installer, not from your old installer,

Nemau

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
You're not trying to create a project in the same folder that XP is installed into, are you?
Yes I am, but it's the default location proposed! (C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP\System\projectname) If it does'nt work in the default location, ...why this is the default location? (edit: ok Andar anwer it!) But ok I will test in another place.

*test*

Ok it looks working! Thanks!

But I still have this problem of transparency color very bugged:

I redownloaded XP recently and have the same issue with the transparency colour - it changes every time I load up the program. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though - just hard to get used to.
I don't know if you speak about the very same bug, but here for me:

image1-42e011b.png

Explanations: when the project just get created, it's a random (yes, a RANDOM!) color for the transparency, and the "background" of the maps is with the transparency color (why???). So: white if "Standard" is choosen or the custom color if "Custom" is choosen (as you can see on my picture). And for every next times the project is opened, the color transparency is not with the previous random color but with this pink you can see on the picture above.

You should have a folder structure something like this when you start a new project:
I have no scripts folder, and I have a "RGSS104E.dll". It isn't normal?

WinXP should have no problem with that location, but if you had some more modern third-party-updates, they might cause you problems there (because there is a good reason why that folder had become restricted in modern windows versions).
Ok, I understand (I have the Service Pack 3, it must be that). Thanks for the explanations!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, that's exactly what happens to me. I change the transparency colour in the same window you showed, but it seems to ignore it. And every time I open it, it's a different colour.

You're right - there shouldn't be a scripts folder. I forgot that a while ago I exported all the scripts to text files, so that folder is not in a project by default (and it shouldn't be there).

Seems you got your problem solved, but I'll leave this open in case anyone can help with the random transparency colour. It's harmless, but if there's a way to make it go back to the old colours, I'd like to know about it.

Nemau

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
So, some little things which perhaps made us find the origin of this transparency color bug:

I have desinstalled RMXP (and deleted all projects folder), re-downloaded it, re-installed it and the transparency color problem is still here (and exactly the same).

BUT, stranger thing: the last custom color I have choosen for the "transparency" (so, the color behind the maps) before the uninstallation is ...exactly the same in my new installation of RMXP! How can it be?!

I've also installed it on a other computer, with Windows 7 this time, to see, and the problem is there too.

On Windows 7, as you said the transparency color changed every time I opened the project. But only the first times (5 or 6 first times perhaps, I'm not sure). Really weird! And now it's stabilised on a awful dark violet (worse than the pink on Windows XP installation xD).

Another thing: the "How to install" list in this page is not up to date, because it's not "RPGXP_Setup.zip" anymore but "RPGXP_E.exe" (and with it the installation is simpler, cause we install the log and the RTP in the same time).

But, maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't notice anyone having this transparency color bug before, so maybe the bug isn't present on the precedent version (RPGXP_Setup.zip)?

Thanks for help me to discover the reason of all this. x) And sorry for my bad english (I'm french), hope you well understand me though.

PS: a simple member can't change thread title? (I haven't found the way to) May a moderator could change the title with something like "[RM XP] Transparency colour bug"? Thanks!

Edit: do you want something more in all this mess? I've noticed than the pink in the Windows XP installation is not exactly the same if I open the project using the editor or if I open it by double click on the rxproj file. I don't understand anything anymore...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, some little things which perhaps made us find the origin of this transparency color bug:

<snip>
Your description makes it pretty obvious what's happening here.
RMXP stores the default data in the registry, but for some reason uses an older registry area that's no longer supported by modern windows versions.

As a result the defaults are NOT stored during installation, and the program doesn't find the data it needs to set the transparency, but randomly uses the current memory values.

As soon as you set a value, the new values are stored in the registry (automatically redirected to the correct place), so from then on the editor finds the values and uses them.

The deinstallation cannot remove the newly set registry values because they are in an area unknown to the deinstaller - they stay when deinstalling and are still available after the program is being reinstalled, so the values are working again...

Changing that behaviour requires changing the original setup program to detect and use the modern registry versions - and if that is done by degica, better change the default save path for new projects as well...

PS: a simple member can't change thread title? (I haven't found the way to) May a moderator could change the title with something like "[RM XP] Transparency colour bug"? Thanks!
Go to "more editor options" when editing your first topic post, then you can change the title as well.
But please only add the second bug and keep (perhaps a shortened version) of the load failure, to help others find both bugs here

Nemau

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Ok, I better understand now. Thanks!

I suppose we can close this topic... (and wait for a debugged version! ^^)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keda27