Lya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Hi!

I'm using RPG Maker 2000 (Steam Version), and I'm loving using it so far...
But I've noticed the game doesn't scale properly while in fullscreen, it seems that my computer applies some sort of bilinear filter on top of it.
I tried searching for a solution and came across an old plugin made by "Cherry", but that doesn't seem to work particularly well in my case.

1 - The resolution just get bugged in itself (it becomes stretched)
2 - Framerate while in fullscreen takes a toll...

So, does anyone have an alternate solution/fix for this problem?

I really don't want to move to RM2K3 yet, it's really important to me to continue using this version...
Any help will be more than appreciated

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Rm2k works without frame loss on Windows x32 computers, especially on 98 and XP.
In current versions it works well in windowed mode, if you prefer there is a Launcher that I created a few months ago.

(I also have my special affection for Rm2k)

Reactions: Lya

Cherry

RM2k(3) Developer (English Version)
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I'm sorry, 2k didn't get the graphics mode tweaks that 2k3 got... (technical reasons, it was a lot harder in 2k for me to handle it, ironically it was easier in 2k3 because of the lost source code and that it meant that all the work was done through patching - this on the other hand enabled some ways of doing things that wouldn't work in 2k where I worked with the source code.)

Older machines had graphics card settings where you could control the filter and the aspect ratio, but it seems these features fell out of fashion over the last decade.

Anyway, can you explain in what way AnotherFullscreenMode fails for you? Like, show a screenshot? AnotherFullscreenMode shouldn't distort the aspect ratio.

Reactions: Lya

Lya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Rm2k works without frame loss on Windows x32 computers, especially on 98 and XP.
In current versions it works well in windowed mode, if you prefer there is a Launcher that I created a few months ago.

(I also have my special affection for Rm2k)
I'm actually using your launcher! (I was digging around in the forums :p)
I find it quite useful and I love the option to put an image file as a splash screen and alter the icon.

Yeah, I'm sorry, 2k didn't get the graphics mode tweaks that 2k3 got... (technical reasons, it was a lot harder in 2k for me to handle it, ironically it was easier in 2k3 because of the lost source code and that it meant that all the work was done through patching - this on the other hand enabled some ways of doing things that wouldn't work in 2k where I worked with the source code.)

Older machines had graphics card settings where you could control the filter and the aspect ratio, but it seems these features fell out of fashion over the last decade.

Anyway, can you explain in what way AnotherFullscreenMode fails for you? Like, show a screenshot? AnotherFullscreenMode shouldn't distort the aspect ratio.
Oh, hoy!
I did found RM2k3 to be more polished overall, quite interesting to know how everything came to be as it is!
The problem i had with AFM, is actually the ones i described in the post.
I will try to say it in detail I guess hmmm (thinking)

- I start the game as usual and i press F4 to minimize the game
- I open AFM, then the whole thing goes to fullscreen
- As the image shows (attached below), it loses the original aspect ratio
- When you try to play anything while in AFM/Fullscreen mode, the framerate takes a toll for some reason (Doesn't happen without AFM)

Now, another problem that i see is that i can't Alt-Tab without breaking AFM too
(Screen goes to black)

Attachments

• afm_problem.png
    afm_problem.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Cherry

RM2k(3) Developer (English Version)
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hmm, I tested it now myself and I can confirm that it causes the screen to be stretched. That's a bummer. It seems to be related to newer Windows versions or something because it wasn't like that a few years ago.

I'll look into it, but I guess the best solution would be to actually make the fullscreen mode work similarly to how it works with RM2k3. I will need to talk with Degica though to see if I can do that change because we don't have a patch EULA for RM2k (only RM2k3) so I can't just release it on my own. I don't have high hopes but we'll see.

Lya

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Hmm, I tested it now myself and I can confirm that it causes the screen to be stretched. That's a bummer. It seems to be related to newer Windows versions or something because it wasn't like that a few years ago.

I'll look into it, but I guess the best solution would be to actually make the fullscreen mode work similarly to how it works with RM2k3. I will need to talk with Degica though to see if I can do that change because we don't have a patch EULA for RM2k (only RM2k3) so I can't just release it on my own. I don't have high hopes but we'll see.
Alright! Thank you for even looking into this, it's already exciting just to know that you I'll be contacting them, that working or not ;)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm working with Excel today, and I just hate VBA so much. It's like the designers said "How can we make a programming language that works as obtusely and inefficiently as possible?"
Beep-Beep-Motha-facka.gif

Just finished and uploaded the delivery truck base/sprite sheet. I've been steadily replacing the default assets with early modern alternatives. The air-ship for a biplane, horse-drawn wagon for a delivery truck, and next a sailboat for a steam-powered passenger liner (think of the SS Olympic and RMS Titanic).
I caught a shiny magikarp on pokemonGO today AND finally saw Detective Pikachu and it was so cute and I'm still so hype AHHHHH!!!
one of the coolest things I've learned from the forums is the ability to give yourself a hitbox. I have a move you can do on the fields. shoulder tackle. thanks to the forums, that tackle triggers self A switches on some events. NPC's and the environment now react to the tackle. awesome.
I really liked how this one turned out! :kaopride:
WYqMPf6.png

Character (Yes, this is a character): Nibiru the Primal Being from Yugioh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarasyring