RM2K Getting enemies to play their spell animations properly

Hawf

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
This tiny little detail has been driving me up a wall for the last two days.

In RPG Maker 2000, when an enemy uses an attack spell it only plays the sound effect and there is no animation played or any visual indicator of impact and it's really bothering me.

The only time an animation is played for an enemy cast spell is when the spells target is the caster. This is typically used to signify buffs but I don't know why this can't be the same for regular spells.

I have tried to get enemies to fire switches when they use the spells and tried to get those switches to trigger common and battle events like playing an animation or making the screen flash but the most I can get is for the spell's animation to play AFTER the enemy has completed it's turn and it just looks incredibly awkward.

Here I have a simple attack pattern set up, my enemy opens with a skill called spark.

this hits a switch

I was hoping this is all I would need but it is not a perfect solution.

if I could patch my version of RPGM2k to alter the visibility of enemy cast animations I would
I can only assume it's a simple as changing a few "false" values to "true" since animations play regardless of the target when cast by the player. However I lack the knowledge/tools to do anything like that.

Is this the best i'm going to get? or am I approaching this wrong?

any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Kamillo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
polish
Primarily Uses
Well, I have 3 option for you.
I know that this is ATB system, but you can choose Type A and WAIT - you get a turn system with wait for your turn.
Set clear characters animation and set this below windowskins, and use RM2k graphics - you get similar battle system.

In RM2k3 enemies skills animation show on the characters graphics - you can do special animations which display on battle field by moved this up and left in animation editor.
Remember - in RM2k3 you can show picture during battle - so you can do similar RM2k text based interface, if you choose this option I can help you with this.

Old RM2k3 has a no ATB patches, but this only off wait for your turn... Maybe can move some patch for official version...
If you always enemies attack before attack heros (heros always has more speed than enemies) - you can this do in this way:[

Limits:
- enemy always last attack
- only 1 enemy with this skills, attack last.

This is only speed show of metod - normally this is very hard - you must random characters includes who is in party and who not death, if you have RM2k3 you can use in this "loops", "labels" and "call common events" and this maybe be little simplest - but still hard.
Good that show text in battle in RM2k display in down (in RM2k3 in up and this is bad), so you can simple do similar battle damage texts.

Use other events command in battle in RM2k (with RM2k3 use):

If you don't have RM2k3 - this same you can do with RM event factory, but this is hardly: http://cherrytree.at/cms/lang/en/download/?did=11
If you want, I can explain this method

Unfortunatelly RM2k not have patch EULA, so this not can be solved with edit binaries.

RM2k have sound effect and shake screen - this your not enought - think - or choose one with above method, or maybe is yet some option which I don't know.

Last edited:

Hawf

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
My biggest problem with using RPGM2k3 is the battle screens lack of text prompts, If I remove the battle sprites for the actors the battle scree still has the random numbers flying off the targets from hits, which poorly conveys who is getting hit.

If I could both
1: remove the visual hit values from the battle screens
2: add battle messages back to the battle screen

then I'd probably port to rm2k3

Kamillo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
polish
Primarily Uses
I have better way in RM2k (with little help in RM2k3):

We use skill and states for random heros, so we not must remember who is in party. After we can check who is target and make our skill on events with battle animation etc - I show how this look on three last screen.

In RM2k3 get text based battle messages make more problems.

Hawf

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I'll see what I can do with this method, thanks for your help

Hawf

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I tried the method you described and it works adequately.
thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

convention concluded, i'm glad the books well received and sold out
not every content is decent, but i'll be better for the next work.

now back to game developing
I hope to be able to post my vxace resource edits this Wednesday.
Not sure if I'll get to the library though.
Me: Man, I'm definitely burned out this time. Time for a break. Me three hours later: I'm ready to work again, let's go! Me another hour later: Okay, I can't do this anymore. Repeat for infinity.
Just got MV and am working on porting over my new game from VX Ace to it! I haven't done much with my new game so it should be pretty quick.
I was doing forge runs on D2 with my wife last night, and singing like a leprechaun to annoy her XD. I was calling it 'The Farge'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldencarroteater