RMDC #3: Character Selection Screen

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

In some games, you may have multiple characters that the player follows throughout the story.

Depending on the plot, players may be asked to play through each character’s scenario separately, and each character’s performance may affect the rest of the plot, including other characters’ scenarios.

There may even be cases where you cannot choose to play every character’s scenario in a single run. This is when you would like players to choose which scenario they would like to play. But how would this be done?

Introduction

The RMDev Challenge is a series of challenges that present a gamedev problem for RPG Maker developers and the objective is to find a solution.

The purpose is to engage RPG Maker developers in some (possibly practical) problem-solving that will allow them to explore more of what the engine has to offer, and also to see how others solve the problem.

Instructions

The rules are simple:

• Your solution must run in RPG Maker
  • You may use any version of RPG Maker
  • You may use any technique: eventing, scripting, maybe both
You may present your solution however you wish and wherever you wish, but I ask that you leave a link back to this challenge page if you are sharing a solution on external sites.
Rewards

Participants will receive a slime medal that they can place on their screenshots of their work. It is a picture of a medal with a slime on it.

Description

Implementing a character selection screen can be straightforward. Here is a character selection screen:

Gets the job done. But does it seem aesthetically appealing? It might, depending on the style you are going for; after all, consistency is important.

Here is a different character selection screen:

Both accomplish the same thing; it’s all about presentation.

Challenge

Your goal is to create a character selection screen.

Your game will have four characters. However, not all of them are selectable at any time.

In the beginning, you will see three characters available on the screen, but only two characters can be selected: the third character will be displayed, but is locked from selection.

After clearing one scenario, the third character is unlocked, and the character you initially selected will now be locked because their scenario has been completed.

There is a hidden fourth character that will become available when you complete certain tasks. For practical purposes, you can simply use a switch to determine whether the character should be shown or not.

In the end, depending on whether the fourth character has been unlocked or not, you will be able to go to the character selection screen and choose which character you wish to use for the final battle and the ending.

Submissions

Last edited by a moderator:

Kishe

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just to be clear, once a character's scenario is finished, the player automatically goes to a character selection screen, right? And on completing the third (or fourth, if requirements are met), the player is then taken to the character selection to choose a character for the final scene?

Or did you want a menu option to select a character at any time? Sorry if I'm missing something! ^^;

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
There are no requirements for how you wish to demonstrate it.

I would probably do something like

1. Pick one of two characters

2. Do something with the selected character (show a picture? Put together a cut-scene? etc)

3. Go back to the character selection screen, with the previous char locked and a third character unlocked

4. Pick another character

5. Do something, which will unlock the hidden character

6. Go to character selection screen, first two characters are now locked, but now there's a new character available

Just a guideline for the most part.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
When is the entry deadline? I am interested in doing this.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If I have image resources, I would be using show picture then have a loop which waits for the press of the arrow keys for changing the image shown, and the OK button to choose that character. A simple conditional branch would be used to determine which characters can be chosen and to whether or not to show the 4th character... If I don't have image resources, I might opt to use sprites. Either in the same way as the image shown as an example, or a single character, changing it's sprite when the arrow key is pressed.

Sato1999

Yangfly Master(Previously)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Do we need to make a Demo for this?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Do we need to make a Demo for this?
It is not necessary. You can just show screenshots or even just writing up a description. Preferably showing the solution rather than just the results so others.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
There will be no deadline for this challenge, as it is meant to be a challenge to see what you can do with RM.
okay! Heck Yea! I will be doing this!!

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Gonna get on this at some point, when I get the time.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good, no deadline...

Sounds cool! I'm up for this~

Err, any type or genre of "character selection" would be fine right?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, as long as the base requirements are met (character selection with unlockable and hidden characters) anything would be ok.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I completely forgot about this, I will get around to doing it...not today though.

I just looked up and saw I said that a month ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON