RMMV 8 Bit Help

DaneReid

Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm finding that the question I want to ask is difficult to explain so forgive me if it's hard to understand. I'm a little new to pixel art and so far my art kinda sucks but I had a question about making 8 bit art for rpg maker mv. For the art posted below I'm using the NES color pallet for it. But I realized that the resolution for NES pixel art is much smaller than rpg maker mv's resolution so the art. Is there a way to make a more detailed sprite using the NES color pallet? Or if anything does anyone have an example of an rpg maker mv 8 bit sprite I can reference?

I feel that was a terrible explanation to my question but if you need me to explain more I'll try my best lol.

Tei.png

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
generally sprites made later in a system's life cycle take better advantage of its particular strengths and limitations

For instance look at this crab

If you want to look at tutorials, pixeljoint has several good ones

As far as existing usable NES-style assets for bases, this secret agent has a full sheet on OGA

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Pixel art gets a lot harder the larger it gets, and there's not really any point sticking to a restriction like using the NES palette if you're going high resolution. You can fake a lower resolution and get that retro look in MV by upscaling the artwork. The NES tiles were 8x8 but were often grouped together into 16x16 tiles. There's a lot of existing artwork out there both for free and for sell at that size, and unless its already been sized up, all you'd need to do is scale it up by 300% to get it to the right size for use in MV and creating artwork at a 16x16 tile size is relatively easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

made a bio for the protag in my project!
Beggar : "I haven't eat for days..."
Kid : "Just do crime! You will get daily necessity for free in prison~"
Stream is a bit late but will be live shortly with some game development! Feel free to drop by!
omg, why persona 5 is so good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teendinsaikha