RMMV Auto backup - save your project from loss!

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Landazar, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Landazar

Landazar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings!

Introducing RMMV Auto backup Tool! This little software was created to prevent loosing your RPG Maker MV project and if you even loose it you can return to most recent backup!

Here is how it works...
    While you are working in RPG Maker MV this tool will periodicly create backup of your project, default timer is set to 3 minutes and you can't go below (RPG projects are usualy big and we don't want to cause some problems), but wait! There is more!
    You can set for your maximum comfort how often program will create backup, or furthermore you can manualy create backup if you wish so!

And still there is even more! You can secure your backup with password!

Here is how this tool looks like:
    [​IMG]

Finally, this tool in this version works only on RMMV projects, simply just watch 3min video and you will see this tool in action!

There is one final thing to mention it. This tool was made in delphi 7 so it may have some issues running in windows8/10
    in that case it's recommended to run it with compability mode Windows7 or lower.

You can Download it here!

JiM83 and Canini like this.
  2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    That is really cool! I unfortunately do not use RMMV projects but this should still prove very useful for those that do. I guess this only work for the brought version, not the steam version? Has it been tested for any bugs or is this the programs first try "out in the field"?

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Landazar
    How does this program avoid the risk of destroying files by double access?

That is why everyone advises against working on a RMMV-Project while it is stored in a cloudsynced folder (which is another form of automated backup).
    The RMMV editor accesses its files with databasing technology, which means that all files are constantly open and rewritten while the editor is active on the project. And if another program accesses and copies those files at the same time, that double access can delete data - which has already destroyed dozens of files in projects that were cloudsynced.
    It doesn't happen everytime, but if you search the support forum you'll see one case every other month or so.

Now, if your backup program is uniderectional (only copying data without writing on the same files) instead of the double-sided sync, that is much less risk of damaged files and it might even be made save depending on whether you knew about the way the editor works or not...

4. Landazar

Landazar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually my tool is just zip archiver with time delay. It simply zip project into zip archive. And how it protect against double access. While its archiving project it is hooked to currently making archive and if somehow timer "overlap" on beign processed will throw error that file is used by another program and skip process until archive will be released, however i did not.experienced that issue since i tested it on 800mb project. So i set minimum allowed value for timer 3minutes. With that value on my cpu 3ghz compression was fast enough to prevent it from double access. But this is first release and i didnt have opportunity to test it on really big projects. I concluded there is a very small group of rmmv devs wich they have projects +1gb size. So if someone will have issues with timer and 2x access simply raise timer from 3mins to 5 or greater. It also worth to mention, there is alternative way to backup project - manually, when you finish work for today.
    This tool creates archive with specific file name format wich is backup_CURRENT_DATE CURRENT_TIME.zip so you will find last backup without problems.

And yes. Its first hand release to test it out.
    I couldnt do more testings since im maniac of removing files that i don't need.

Edit: There is no double access while archiving. Just checked on fake RMMV project with 1.2GB and 3 min delay. When finish backup it starts making another one.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Canini likes this.
  5. Landazar

Landazar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    !bumb!

I made some minor improvements:
    - Added primitive Interval calculator - calculates "safe" interval value by RMMV project size.
    - Added ability to set own Key size for password encryption
    - Added timer displaying remaining time until making another backup.
    - Archives are stored now in subdirectories.
    - Some minor changes in look
    [​IMG]

Download updated version

6. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I see, thanks for clarifying. As I said I do not use RMMV for the moment but if I do upgrade in the future I could try this out with a smaller project. Are you actively looking for bugtesters?

7. Landazar

Landazar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not quite. This tool is just a "break" from my rmmv project. :)
    And I thought you might need something like that.

Canini likes this.
  8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Where is the download Link for this?