Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone,

I'm having two issues with the boat and ship, specifically when I switch directly between them without exiting on land first.

When exiting a boat/ship on land, the music properly changes back to the BGM I have set on the map. No issues there. Entering a boat/ship from land switches the music to the boat music or the ship music (I set them to be different). No issues there. However, if I transfer directly from the boat to the ship (or vice-versa) by pulling up next to it, without first walking onto land, issues start to occur. If I go from the boat to the ship directly, and then exit the ship (either on land or back to the boat), the boat music starts to replay (even when I'm on land!). To make matters worse, when I transfer to another map to finally change the music and then go back again, the boat just disappears. Permanently. The music getting stuck and the vehicle disappearing are both issues that I'd like to have fixed, so that I could use both sea vessels.

Here are 3 videos showing my issue. The first is the normal setup with no issues (undocking on land, no direct transfer between sea vessels), and the second and third show music issues and the permanent disappearance of the boat. Thoughts? Thanks!

Crusha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By glancing at this, when you say the ship and/or boat are disappearing, that sounds like you have an event with at least 2 pages, and you may have your switches/self-switches turning off/on in an incorrect way. If you also have music doing funny things, you can set the BGM to none at the start of a transfer and set it to the BGM you want at the end of that transfer, which should make sure the audio is doing what you want it to do.

DarkPlasmaBall

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By glancing at this, when you say the ship and/or boat are disappearing, that sounds like you have an event with at least 2 pages, and you may have your switches/self-switches turning off/on in an incorrect way. If you also have music doing funny things, you can set the BGM to none at the start of a transfer and set it to the BGM you want at the end of that transfer, which should make sure the audio is doing what you want it to do.
Thanks for the reply! I have no events/switches related to the boat or ship or airship... I haven't even used them in the game yet; I just arbitrarily threw them onto a map to see what they're like, how they function, their limitations, etc.

To your point about the music not changing properly: I'm aware of how to hypothetically force a fadeout/fadein of BGM during an event or transfer (and I've used that in certain situations), but this exiting of the vehicle doesn't seem to be identical to that. The vehicle itself doesn't seem to be an event (I can't double-click it and bring up event contents), so that doesn't seem to work. I could make a separate event/switch that is invisible on the map and autorunning, I suppose, to address the "get on/off vehicle" property, but that's not an issue if it's getting on/off land.

The music only has an issue when switching between vehicles, so the normal docking/undocking from land is totally fine. I've assigned each vehicle different music in the Systems tab of the Database, and I'm working under the assumption that this means that this music will play when the party is currently using that specific vehicle. That seems to be accurate, but the switching from one vehicle to another (which isn't a map transfer) is what causes the issue to occur, and I'm not sure why. It seems like these vehicles are made only to dock/undock from ground, and not between boat and ship.

Edit: I tried creating a separate event to address the music issue using the "getting on/off vehicle" property, but that's not working because it applies to all vehicles and both on *and* off simultaneously. It doesn't seem like I can write, specifically, to "fadeout current music + fadein specific boat music X only when getting on boat" + "fadeout current music + fadein specific overworld/map music Y only when getting off boat" + ship statements too, etc. It seems to be pretty attached to the Database Systems. Plus, I'm pretty sure this won't stop the boat/ship from permanently disappearing.

Double Edit: Even if I make all their music identical to the map music, or turn it off altogether, the vehicles still disappear anyway. So even if I hide the music issues, which I'd rather not do anyway, the vehicles still permanently vanish.

Last edited:

Crusha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have a boat/ship/airship in my game yet, so I was replying to you under the [incorrect] presumption I made. I was confident these things would have been easy-to-alter events, but I just checked and yeah, the boat/ship/airship are not easily-modifiable events, which I thought was where your problems would be fixable at. Unfortunately, I guess I don't have the competency to give much further advice about the functionality of boat/ship/airship. I'll probably be learning a thing or 2 myself; I'll check out some vehicle videos for RMMV and see if I notice any solutions. If I do, I'll post back; I'm guessing your answer is going to come from someone else though on this 1.

DarkPlasmaBall

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem; I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I found a temporary work-around that still allows me to have all three vehicles in the game without needing to worry about one of the two sea vessels disappearing to this issue (bug?)... creating enough land/rock/structures that completely boxes out one vessel from overlapping with another. I could isolate the boat to be in one region, then force the player to exit the boat, walk across some land, and then enter the ship to be in another region. As long as the player exits on land between the boat and the ship - and doesn't directly jump from one vessel to the other - it seems like I can dodge this issue for now :) A sort of "forced docking/landing", like in the picture I'm attaching here.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I guess if you're just going solo dev, minimize features is better choice.
As close as possible, now I draw all of them with little by little needle sticking.
Welp, back to the drawing board...
Ami
--- Overused ---

Hero: (Drink 3 HP Bottle L)
F.Healer: Don't drink too much,or you got sick!
Hero: Nah,i'm okay. it's the way to repleni---
(Hero Collapse)
Hero: (Weak) Ugh...my head (Coughing Then Vomiting)
F.Healer: I told you to don't Drink 3 HP Bottle L or you're Sick. Let's go to Doctor.
Shaking off the dust. Clearing the cobwebs. Time to get back to gam-mak!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitoriamio