[RMMV]: Can't get a sprite to properly display damaged version.

DagJakeTanner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, all. I've been looking through the threads for a solution to this issue, but can't seem to find one. I'm trying to get an enemy NPC to go into a damaged state following the aftermath of a fight. I quickly discovered doing it with the Set Movement Route: Change Image strategy is a no-go, since that doesn't let you select an individual cell on the spritesheet. So, I tried setting it up to where a switch is turned on after the battle. In the NPC's event pages, I set up a new event page to change his image to the damaged state when said switch is turned on. The switch is activated during the cutscene, but instead of displaying the individual cell I chose, the NPC just vanishes. Not certain why. Below are the related images. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks a million!

Screenshot (66).png
The NPC before the fight.

Screenshot (67).png The NPC after the fight, once the switch 'PostWeirdo' is turned on. The image clearly displays him in his damaged state, selected from an individual cell.

Screenshot (69).png Ditto to the above. Just showing that I selected the proper image for the NPC.

Screenshot (71).png Here's the event cutscene that takes place after the battle. The NPC's image is changed to something new (that works fine). He backs up. The switch turns on, at which point the NPC disappears.

DagJakeTanner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gave it a try, but it still didn't work. I tried both Direction Fix, and Direction Fix + Walking. It needs to be turned on in the NPC's event page for the damaged state, right?

Screenshot (72).png Direction Fix selected.

Screenshot (73).png Direction Fix + Walking selected.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Before turning the switch on make sure to make the NPC's event turn down.

The reason for this is that the death image still uses MV's characterset system so technically it still has directions. Your NPC is probably facing a different direction than down so the image is displaying the left/right/up direction on the sprite where there is no image. (sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm not sure the best way of explaining this)

DagJakeTanner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I see!! No worries, that makes sense. And it worked! Thank you very much for your help :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013
Ami
--- Swimming ---

F.Knight: This Shrine always Flood. We don't have a choice,we have to Swimming in this place
F.Healer: That Insane!
F.Mage: We can use…Boat,rather than Swimming
F.Knight: You guys…Can't Swim?
F.Healer & F.Mage: (Shocked) Eehh??
Trying to get back, trying to get better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corwar_uwu