RMMV: Codex

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Pyrathas, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Pyrathas

Pyrathas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I know in MV there is a monster book and an item plugin, But I am looking for a plugin that helps me create the lore for the game that the player can collect. Something that gives a brief description of the towns the player visit, bio of characters, monsters, items, to even story lore. My goal is to make a reward system where when the player unlocks it all, a special item, passive state, ect is unlocked for achieving. Does anyone know of a really good one?

Finnuval likes this.
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I for one would also be interested in this so here's to hoping someone knows of one :)

BadLittleSeed and MushroomCake28 like this.
  3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made an item collector plugin better than the default one that comes with MV:

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjuvvr8e9m3qvk0/$MUSH_MenuItemCollector_P1.js?dl=0
    Youtube tutorial on the plugin:

As for the reward/achievement based on that, it is possible to extract the item collector completion per category or overall (like completion for weapons only, or key items only) and store it in a variable via a simple plugin command. If you want to go deeper in an achievement system, I also have an achievement system plugin (another shameless plug lol):

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2dhqtoud1c5zcs/$MUSH_AchievementSystem_P1.js?dl=0
    Youtube toturial on the plugin:

Note that there are 2 layouts available inside the plugin for the achievement system. You can basically create any achievements with conditions depending on: game switches, variables, play time, steps, gold, and maybe some more I don't remember. But the most important ones are conditions based on switches and variables. For example, you can extract your item collection progression into a variable and use that same variable as a condition for unlocking and achievement. Also, you can give the player a reward for unlocking achievements.

End of shameless plugin plug.

As for the other systems, I don't have any publicly available plugins for those, and since I don't really use third party plugins except mines, I don't really know of plugins for you. Sorry.

BadLittleSeed and Finnuval like this.
  4. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    BadLittleSeed and MushroomCake28 like this.
  5. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When I have time I might do more public available plugins. I was thinking of making a public version of my monster book (which is just the monster version of my item collector plugin), a public version of my journal plugin, and another one to reorder stuff in the menu because the menu window is starting to get too big after adding many stuff. But all of that is way down my priority list, which goes like this (from most important to less important):
    Studies in university / Finishing my project / Commissions / public plugins.

The thing I hate about making public plugins is supporting them. 85% of bug reports are actually people who didn't watch my tutorial on the plugin or read the explanations. The second issue is compatibility, because people always want all plugins to be compatible with all of their plugins. I'm trying my best, but it is a really long and tedious job.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    BadLittleSeed and Finnuval like this.
  6. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 that would be awesome but I can totally understand you (probably growing) reluctance with how some people are :(

Still there are those of us who would simply be grateful and would not whine every 5 seconds something doesn't go exactly our way ;)
    Personally I would like if the creator of a plugin updates whenever the engine does and when something really goes haywire technically but more then that I usually don't expect (let alone demand which is just dumb in my book).

As for your priority list well that's just being sensible isn't it :)

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are very few general purpose journal/encyclopedia scripts or plugins through all the makers, because the problem for them is data entry - something that usually needs quite a bit of programming knowledge to handle. The existing plugins/scripts are almost all of the "book"-type that is based on database entires like items or enemies, or screens that add to the database (like actor biography).
    Creating new lists like Towns, NPCs or so on has been problematic without programming knowledge in the past.
    And because of that most plugin writer didn't bother - on Ace the existing scripts were almost never used because of that data problem.

About a year ago I had an idea for an alternative way of defining lists, but so far I never made true specifications of that.
    If several people are interested I can write a plugin request on how that problem on data entry can be circumvented and for someone to make a plugin for that - but those interested in it will have to search themselves for a plugin writer to make that plugin because I have no time or specific interest to handle that myself.

Finnuval likes this.
  8. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar Yeah you're right. Hard to have something very precise and detailed without programming knowledge. Even my achievement plugin requires the dev to customize his achievements in the code directly, like in the nice old RMVX Ace with modules lol.

I'd say the problem isn't the data itself, but how you organize the data. It would be ridiculous to have everything in a single command window, so of course you'd have to separate things into sections, sub-sections, etc. This is something possible, but very tedious work for a programmer since it would be far easier to just code a plugin for a specific task instead of trying to adapt it for general purpose.

Finnuval likes this.
  9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 give me a week or so and I'll write it up in a request to show you how to get that done in a way that the plugin user can enter this data with the regular MV editor, including categories and conditional entries (like only visible after found or with certain knowledge variables at minimal values or so on) - without using a single notebox or walls of texts other than the entry itself.
    Which of course also means that the plugin writer doesn't need to care about what kind of categories are needed or how many entries there are, but just a specially modified load routine to extract that data from the regular engine that can't use it in the same way.

EDIT:
    I just had some time to place the description
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...s-a-description-of-the-data-structure.105086/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    MushroomCake28 and Finnuval like this.