CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi,

First off, thank you very much for releasing MV early to everyone that pre-ordered. It's greatly appreciated! =)

Unfortunately, I have an issue. I was doing a test with some graphics from my previous game, which uses an 8-Bit colour palette. Everything looks fine in the editor, but when I start playing the game the colours are significantly desaturated, as you can see in the image below (original on the left, in RMMV on the right). The image is a PNG file (I can't figure out if MV supports any other file type for graphics). I've tried the 8, 16, and 32-bit PNG settings, and also tried changing the image mode from Indexed to RGB in Gimp 2.0. But that's about all I can think to do...Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

6383546_orig.jpg

While we're on the topic, I'm very surprised and disappointed that RMMV requires a restart when you make changes to graphics. I found that if I made any changes to my hero's graphics in Paint.net (and then saved them, of course), they would not appear in the editor until I exited and restarted the engine. I don't recall that being an issue with any past iteration, but I imagine it's going to waste a lot of time in the future. Just something to note =)

But if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, they would be sincerely appreciated!

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aside from a slight, almost unnoticeable change in color, there really isn't much difference (aside from the obvious green background in one). Personally, I don't think those differences are very significant.

As for having to restart, the editor loads all the files it needs to as when it opens and then keeps them in memory, this way, it does not have a constant lock on the files that makes them non-editable. There will probably be no way around this in the future. Closing and reloading the project, or maybe switching to a map with a completely different tileset may force it to reload the files into memory. If not, restarting is the only way to go.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for your response (and all the great work you've been doing on the forum today, by the way =), but I strongly disagree. The image loses all of its vibrancy, and this issue wrecks any chance of making a game that sticks to a particular colour palette.

And I appreciate the explanation! Although I don't understand why they made this change, given that this was never an issue in all the years I've used RPG Maker XP (that engine never locked the files/made them non-editable, but also constantly updated the files in the editor). Unfortunately, switching maps with different tilesets did not do the trick, so it looks like we're stuck with restarting. Thanks again though! =D

Last edited by a moderator:

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I mean, I do see a loss in color, but I didn't think it was too great. But anyway, so these are both screenshots from your computer, the left from your filesystem, the right from ingame? Do me a favor, press F2 in your game. This will bring up the FPS meter. Does it say OpenGL mode, or Canvas mode?

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes that's right. The only difference is that I converted the picture in my first post into a JPEG to make the colours a bit more accurate (I've found that a lot of image uploaders can have a similar desaturating effect). As you said, I pressed F2 and apparently it's running in WebGL mode. Thanks for the continued help! =)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can see the changes to the sprites you're talking about.  They're very subtle, but if it was me, I'd be bothered by it too.

Unfortunately graphics is not something I'm really familiar with, so I'm going to hope that a pro comes along and is able to give you some helpful information.

On the other issue - I do know that if I made changes to a tileset in Ace and copied the new tileset into the folder, the changes would not be reflected on the map straight away.  I would have to go to the tilesets folder and click on the slot(s) that used that image, before it would update.  I could then close the database and the map would be updated.

I suggest you change your character sprite, then close the database if you have it open, open it up and go to the actor's tab again, and see if it updates it.  Let us know how it goes.  It might be something we can list in the bugs thread as an update request if you can't get it working.  I agree - you shouldn't have to exit out altogether.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes that's right. The only difference is that I converted the picture in my first post into a JPEG to make the colours a bit more accurate (I've found that a lot of image uploaders can have a similar desaturating effect). As you said, I pressed F2 and apparently it's running in WebGL mode. Thanks for the continued help! =)
Hmm, well I was sorta hoping it'd say Canvas mode, because I noticed while I was playing with it, canvas mode was drawing things much lighter than webGL mode... hmmm.could you send me the character sprite in question? I'd like to see if ti also happens on my project.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shaz - Sorry, I probably didn't explain the second issue well enough. It was normal that I'd have to open the database or swap maps to get changes to take effect in past RPG Makers, this is a bit different. I was trying what you suggested (change sprite, exit database, re-open, etc.) but it doesn't update the graphic in the editor unless I restart the program entirely. Thanks, I appreciate the help!

@Zalerinian - Ah, I see. And that's very kind of you to offer. You can download the character sprite here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=76184656189940258253 Thanks again! =D

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can't seem to replicate the issue on my end. For me, it looks like this:

7rFlN1W.png

Do you have any plugins active in your project?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually I just grabbed the file and tried it in a project as well. I'm also not getting the colour distortion.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you both very much for testing out the graphic. That's...really odd, though. I just tried again, and I still get the same issue. I'm afraid I don't have any plugins installed (at least, not in the Plugin Manager - haven't got that far yet =P). Hmm...I don't suppose it could have something to do with my graphics card?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd be very surprised. It shows up okay in an Ace game?

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I couldn't tell you on Ace sorry, as the game was made in RMXP, but it shows up fine for me there =)

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Could you try starting a new project? It'd be weird if that was the issue, but currently I've got no other ideas. It works perfectly fine for both me and Shaz.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since RMMV uses OpenGL they are more prone to some oddities based on your graphics card;;;

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Zalerinian - Thanks for the suggestion! But unfortunately that didn't work either.

@Archeia - Okay then. In fairness, my graphics card has a lot of problems nowadays (I've been seeing some white artifacts appear randomly while using RMMV), so maybe that does have something to do with it...Thanks for the info! While I'll probably have to replace it anyway, if anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears =P

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Perhaps try to first update your driver? That tends to fix a lot of issues, especially with new stuff running on an old driver.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really appreciate the continued help Zalerinian, but unfortunately all of my drivers are up to date =/

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I found the solution! This is thanks to a conversation between Milennin and KisaiTenshi in the Official Bug Report topic (particularly post #232 - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46333-official-bug-report/page-12).

It's an issue with colour profiles being attached to the .png graphics. This is a common problem that can lead to colours displaying differently on certain web browsers and monitors, and has been discussed quite a bit by website designers. As far as I understand it, because RPG Maker MV is so heavily web-based, this issue can occur on it as well.

So, how do you fix it? Well, you've got to delete the colour profile. Unfortunately programs like Paint.net and Gimp 2.0 can't do this (at least, as far as I could tell), so I used a free program called PNGGauntlet: http://pnggauntlet.com/

Just run your image through that program (click on the Optimise button), and it should show up correctly in RPG Maker MV. Hope that helps someone! =)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Let's see if I can make it in time xD
Knipsel.PNG
Add Smart Help Window Popup to Items and Skills | RPG Maker News #79

Is it unusual to think your own music is strange? xD I honestly don't know if I'm gonna use any of them :p
I've been keeping my cards fairly close to my chest, but Team Muxedo Task is proud to present the first offering for our contest entry: the title screen background.1624496085488.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noverian