RMMV Crashes

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Kartingjon, May 7, 2019.

1. Kartingjon

Kartingjon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I purchased RPG Maker MV on steam recently. I downloaded it and began using it just a few days ago. Following tutorials I hadn't really paid attention to how often it was crashing/shutting off mid project. I began saving after modifying every event. It became so frequent that I finally opened up the task manager and was watching it run. It was slowly increasing in memory usage as I modified any event or added any new resource (new tiles/characters/maps).

I've tried reinstalling, updating my drivers and checking/running anti-malware/virus software. I've tried my best at googling the issue and haven't really seen anything that could possibly help me.

I'm on windows 10 64bit. I have no plugins, just the base game/software.

Should I try submitting a help request? Is this a common issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no, it is not a common issue - it has to be something on your computer.
    Most people can work for hours without any problem, and the editor rarely crashes (once in several months if any).

However, there are a few quirks known to cause problems if you're doing things wrong on your computer.

1) which version of the editor do you have installed?
    Steam allows you to select which version because some users need to stay on older versions for plugin compatibility.
    Since you're new, you should be using 1.6.2 - but some of the pre-1.4 versions had memory problems.

2) your steam download cache might have been corrupted (happens once or twice a year), causing damage to new installations
    use steam help to clear the steam download cache, then verify your local files through steam

3) Storing your project in a cloudsync'd folder can cause a lot of problems
    The RM's use database access, NOT regular file access. That means that if the project is in a folder with an automated couldsync, that cloudsync can destroy files. Please move your projects to regular folders and use cloud only for distributing and manual backup. Do not work on a project that gets automatically backedup while working on it

3. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thank you for your reply!

I’m using the latest version 1.6.2.

I’ll have to clear the cache on my steam download and try a reinstall and see if that helps. Hadn’t tried that yet.

I don’t think I’m using a cloud sync folder but I’ll double check that as well.

I can’t for the life of me figure out what could be interfering with the software. I double checked my security measures on my computer and didn’t see it being flagged. Updated my drivers and did several security sweeps. Cleaned up my hard drives.

Thanks again for taking time to help!

4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wait, is your case solved or does the problem insist?

5. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Unfortunately it has not been solved yet.

Tried clearing the cache, deleted the Install folder, reinstalled and the issue persists.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    then it's most likely either a problem with a background program or a hardware compatibility problem - there are a lot of possibilities and without info we can only guess.

Problems with background programs are NOT limited to anti-virus. For example there is a (free) video capture program that in its default configuration (at least in the version two years back) had been set to automatically record a "let's play"-video whenever a steam game was started. Might have sounded convenient to some programmers, but since it didn't check anything, it completely blocked Steam-RMVXA from launching...

To help here, we would have to get full info on your computer (hardware specs and installed programs) to be able to even guess what else might cause problems. That is not easy, but the only thing we can offer for now - or you would have to contact the official support and send that data there if you don't want to post it here on the public forum.

7. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thank you, I'll slap a list together as far as programs I have/using. Any suggestions on a format for sharing? I feel like I don't mind unless it's terribly invasive.

Just tried removing the only software that i had for video recording. I didn't really use it but that didn't cause any change in issue sadly.

As far as hardware:
    Ram: G-skill Ripjaws(2) total to 8 gigs
    Graphics Card: Raedon RX 580 Armor
    MotherBoard: ROG Strix 8350-F Gaming
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
    SSD with a HDD back up

I have a family obligation here shortly so I won't be able to get the current app list for a few hours.

8. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I apologize for being busy all day and really appreciate anyone still checking in on my issue.

Not sure on what kind of format to share as far as apps/programs running on my computer, or if even that is something that is something I should do on a public forum as mentioned above. I'm guessing that my issue has gone beyond standard issue and should go ahead and fill out a tech support request. For the replies that have come so far, I again want to extend a thank you.

I'm sad I can't join in on the RPG making community. If I ever end up figuring something out I'll be sure to pay it forward. Thank you all again for your concern and help. It at least made me feel better! Cheers!

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    just list the names of the programs in the installation/deinstallation list on the system properties. Or make a screenshot of that.
    the only thing we could do at this point is check if there is one program or type of program that is known to have background activity that can interfere, and then point it to you to test if that was the case.

10. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I think I can make that happen! Give me a bit and I get the screenshots.

11. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Here's a group of screenshots of all of the apps/programs on that list.

Edit:

[​IMG]

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there are a few programs I don't know, but most are OK.
    Aside from the usual suspects you said you already checked (anti-malware) there are only two things that I would consider:

1) if your ccleaner is set to automatically clean, this might cause problems with unknown programs (and RMMV is lesser-known)
    I'm not a fan of registry cleaner and similiar programs because I know how they work and can keep my computer better clean than they do, but that's not for here - just keep in mind that those programs are not perfect and sometimes cause problems when cleaning too much.

2) wacom - unlikely but possible
    Normally all programs for Win10 should use the new API that was introduced years ago.
    But if that program/driver for that tables is set for compatibility to the old (win95) API (yes, I've seen programs using that twenty-year-old API under Win7) then it can cause problems because RMMV checks a similiar API (gamepads and graphic tablets went through the same API until a few years ago)

13. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I'll Check on both of them. That's a good possibility I hadn't thought about with my tablet. I reckon I could try uninstalling it for now just to see if that is causing the issue. I shall report back!

14. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Checked CCleaner and it wasn't set to automatic.
    Uninstalled my Wacom drivers and unplugged it and the issue still occurred.

15. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Well I went ahead and picked up RMXP. It is working with no issues at all. Since all I wanted to do with it was just make some little games for fun and maybe share them with my friends it should work out for that. I appreciate everyone's help.

Maybe someday I'll figure out what is going on with my rig and the software. (real sad cause all the modern support with MV!) If tech support contacts me, they can help me further with it. A man can dream!

Anyhow, Cheers everyone! :D

16. Kartingjon

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I dunno if anyone is still following this or not. Just wanted to share my solution.

I got an e-mail back from tech. We went over some of the things that all of you had suggested as well as some of the other basics. Obviously it was some kind of system issue. Here was my solution:

I went the clean boot route to analyze some of the system services that were running. I slowly enabled different things in the services tab until I found the culprit. Obviously, the task manager wasn't showing that a program, that I assume is something that comes with some of my audio drivers from MSI (my graphics card gets it with it's drivers or at least google says so), called 'Nahimic Service'. When enabled, the RMMV software wasn't dumping its memory at all. To add, any event I clicked on to edit would jump the memory up 20MB. I disabled it and left it that way. Re-enabled all other programs and tried doing all the things I was doing before that would "bloat" and crash the software. It seems to be running normally now!

I had all but given up until I received a reply email from tech support. They may not have been the ones to physically solve the issue they did however give me more ideas on what to search for to figure out the issue.

I hope sharing this will help someone else that had a similar issue. Thanks again to the community and tech support for helping me solve the issue.

Cheers again everyone!