Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi All,

I'm trying to generate text for dialogue in a script that includes NPC names stores as variables, but when I set a message to a text variable that includes a variable reference, the program just prints the variable reference name, rather than the content.

So for example:

I want this = "Hi, my name is Joe. I like games."

Variable 1 = "Joe"
Variable 2 = "Hi, my name is \v[1]. I like games."

However, when I place the variable 2 in the game message, I get "Hi, my name is \v[1]. I like games." Without the contents of varaible 1.

I've worked around this by splitting the dialogue into multiple variables (eg v1 = "Joe" v2 = "Hi, my name is" and v3 "I like games."), but it makes my script generated dialogue a lot more difficult. Also this same problem has come up multiple times, so I was curious if anyone could help.

Question 1: Can anyone explain how the game decides when to read for variables and icon codes and when it just reads it as text?

Question 2: Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a good solution?

Thank you community for your help!

DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What a great answer, thank you!

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's actually because backslashes get replaced by the \x1b escape character prior to processing. Thus, an alternative would be:
  • Variable 2 = "Hi, my name is \x1bv[1]. I like games."

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I know I'll put one of my game's sprites here to give the illusion that I am a productive member of game society.
handelspriteanim.gif
Preparing untested English localization for DOWNFALLEN.

unknown-43.png
Sometimes I wonder if I feature creep... 225 magic spells is a lot lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milkpowder