[RMMV] External Text

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Zalerinian, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    External Text

Please note that I have not worked on this plugin for two years, and currently have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future. If you are interested in this plugin, I recommend looking for an alternative, I do recall others being made.

What is it?

External Text is a plugin that allows you to have all your game's text in a file outside the editor so that you can easily edit messages from across several events and maps. Additionally, repeated text can be put into one text key, and then called multiple times. Any edits to the text key will be reflected across all instances of that key. Additionally, it allows you to easily provide multi-language support for your game by defining different text files for different languages!

The script also supports a name box, and autofitting text in any message so that if it runs off the screen, it will be moved onto a new line or page.

Installation

Just grab a copy of the plugin file, and put it in your plugins folder!

Usage

Most of the usage is included in the help text of the plugin, but one thing not documented for the time being is that you can use \t[key] to replace it with the text corresponding to the given code. This can be used to put in the text of whole message, or just message parts.

Please make sure you name the plugin file ExtText in your plugins directory. A fix for this issue will be coming to the Commons plugin soon, but until them, please name the plugin accordingly.

This plugin requires the MVCommons script, version 1.0.3 or above.

Demo

A short demo is available for the game here. The demo does not demonstrate using faces in messages, but the help text does.

Edit: Forgot to mention MVCommons dependency :)

Edit:

This plugin is released under the Creative Commons "By Attribution" License. You may take this plugin and use it for both commercial and non-commercial use, as well as make and release edits to it. The only restrictions are that you must credit me as the original author, and you may not apply a license that further restricts the terms of use. Please see the linked license for full details.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Val, Barduck, DangDut and 11 others like this.
  2. MuteDay

MuteDay Mutation Engine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    any chance of getting version that doesnt require mvcommons?

3. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any reason not to use it?

4. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Elmlor.com Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As long core scripts are clean and let you disable extra's that one might not have I say it's a good idea. Even more since I think this core script sole purpose is to help compatibility issues. 

5. MuteDay

MuteDay Mutation Engine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    if not thats fine ill end up tearing it apart and building custom version anyways, i currently am doing so with all of the scripts i have that i have permissions to, and yes the original author is getting credit still

6. Baka-chan

Baka-chan ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Word wrapping doesn't work in item description. Everything else is really nice ;)

7. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi,

I can not get the plugin to run at all.

I use MVCommons 1.0.6 from here: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46474-mvcommons-the-community-core-plugin/

I only have one Map atm with only one event. Only 2 plugins are activated: MVCommons and External Text. I have created a data/text folder. In that folder is the text_en.json file.

I have all parameters on default:

Text File: text_en.json

Face File: faces.json (not created!)

Text Folder: data/text/

Autofit  Text: true

Remember Color: true

Enable Name Windows: true

Name Window Martin: return Graphics.width / 5 - this.width / 2

The First addon in my list is MCCommons, the Second one external_text - like in the demo you provided.

However, when I start my game the loading screen stays black. I do not even get to the point where I can select to Start a new game or load a save game. It is just black.

Where do I go wrong? :/

8. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you press F8 on the black screen it should bring up the console, which should have an error message on it. I suppose it could be caught up and unhappy that the faces file doesn't exist.

9. DMJohn0X

DMJohn0X Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I have the latest version of MVCommons installed and this pluggin. 

I get the following error on build: 

"Cannot read property 'endsWith' of undefined"

Any ideas?

10. Shiroi Akuma

Shiroi Akuma Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Everything works fine, but how do I export the text from my project, or do I need another plugin to store everything inside the text_en.json? 

11. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That doesn't seem to be the problem. I created the faces file and started the game. Again, black screen.

Opened the console (Thanks for the tip!) and found 2 errors

filepath = path of the project

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token <

/filepath/js/plugins/external_text.js:230

Uncaught Error: External Text requires some functionality of the MVCommons plugin!

/filepath/js/plugins/external_text.js:230 Uncaught

For me it seems that there is some problem with the current MVCommons and this plugin.

Edit: If I use the MVcommons from your demo I can start but I get the error message "Cannot read property 'endsWith' of undefined". This is visible in the game itself, I do not have to open a console.

Edit2: If I use the MVcommons from your demo AND your file from the demo it works.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  12. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This script is gonna be sooo useful! Thanks :D !

Zalerinian likes this.
  13. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You need to set up the text file yourself. The demo provides an example file, and the plugin's help text also explains how to set up the different sections. 

EDIT: But, I suppose it is technically possible to create a plugin that pulls all the database stuff out by default, but I'm not sure when I'll get to working on that.

I can't reproduce this error. Can you do me a favor, and let me know what it says on the right side of the error message? For example, 

[​IMG]

I'm lookging for the part that says something like ExtText.js:### Both the pastebin and project file are the same, so I see no reason why one would work and the other would not.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  14. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When I download your file from pastebin it is named

external_text.js

and not ExtText.js.

I already copied the line number, it is

external_text.js:230 :)

15. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ahh, you've made me realize what the problem is. Plugins expect their files to be named in a specific way. I have been planning a fix for that to be added into the Commons, but have yet to start working on it. Until then, I have renamed the file in pastebin, so it should work fine now if you get it from there :)

Accendor likes this.
  16. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Unfortunaly that does not work ;-) -> Back to square 1 = black screen, same error message in console.

Guess I have to wait for the fix in the Commons.

Zalerinian likes this.
  17. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Can you send me a screenshot of the errors? Renaming the file should have worked.

18. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  19. DMJohn0X

DMJohn0X Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    My issue was solved by renaming External Text.js to ExtText.js.

Now though, running your demo project actually constantly displays your text as missing. Why does your demo not seem to work? 

20. Zalerinian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How did you save the MVCommons plugin? It looks like it was incorrectly saved, and since that is having issues loading in, External Text stops itself because it needs that to work. When you download a file from github, please make sure to get the script content by pressing the "Raw" button before saving the file. Saving the file from the page with the button will cause this sort of problem.

[​IMG]

That sounds like it's having trouble loading the text file. Are there any error messages in the dev console (F8 to open it)? Have you changed any settings, or renamed any files?