Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
How did you save the MVCommons plugin? It looks like it was incorrectly saved, and since that is having issues loading in, External Text stops itself because it needs that to work. When you download a file from github, please make sure to get the script content by pressing the "Raw" button before saving the file. Saving the file from the page with the button will cause this sort of problem.
That  was EXACTLY the problem. Not sure, perhaps this should be added to "how to download mvcommon". I will add this information in the thread in case there are more people with the same problem :)

datmellow

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
forgive me if this is a newb question to ask:

Is it possible to have multiple text boxes inside 1 call?

"test": {"text": "hello!","text": "Hello dere!"}it only loads the second text box.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
forgive me if this is a newb question to ask:

Is it possible to have multiple text boxes inside 1 call?

"test": {"text": "hello!","text": "Hello dere!"}it only loads the second text box.
It you're trying to Have the messages in separate windows, you can use the escape character for that. I believe it's \f in MV. Just keep in mind, when editing the json file, you need to use 2 backslashes due to the way computers look at strings. So it'd be \\f in the text file.

datmellow

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
It you're trying to Have the messages in separate windows, you can use the escape character for that. I believe it's \f in MV. Just keep in mind, when editing the json file, you need to use 2 backslashes due to the way computers look at strings. So it'd be \\f in the text file.
 "test3": {

"text": "Hello \\f Hello \\n[1]"

}
like this? because it just displays them both on the same window. I'm more looking for having a conversation between characters using a single call.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
like this? because it just displays them both on the same window. I'm more looking for having a conversation between characters using a single call.
Actually, looks like \f and \n should only be one backslash, because they're technically a special character. So try those ones with only one backslash, and any others with 2. If that doesn't work I'll have to look into it more as that should work fine.

datmellow

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Actually, looks like \f and \n should only be one backslash, because they're technically a special character. So try those ones with only one backslash, and any others with 2. If that doesn't work I'll have to look into it more as that should work fine.
I know that \n has to be \\ else it doesn't work for me.

if I just use \n[1] in game it just displays "[1]" for me.

I'm also not sure the command is \f because when I try it through a message event it still displays both messages on a single box.

EnMod

noelquiles.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm looking to change choice window settings for the window that contains choices.  Setting a "window" key as a value for the "choice" key is doing nothing.  Any ideas?  Here's my setup:

"q1_choice": { "text": "What is a man?", "window": { "background": "dim", "position":"bottom" }, "choice": { "choices": [ "A miserable little pile of secrets!", "A monster", "Homo sapiens", "Idk" ], "variable": 30, // the following key does nothing "window": { "background": "dim", "position":"middle" } } },

Additionally, what is the proper way to format the key to create a predefined faceset in faces.json?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm looking to change choice window settings for the window that contains choices.  Setting a "window" key as a value for the "choice" key is doing nothing.  Any ideas?  Here's my setup:

"q1_choice": { "text": "What is a man?", "window": { "background": "dim", "position":"bottom" }, "choice": { "choices": [ "A miserable little pile of secrets!", "A monster", "Homo sapiens", "Idk" ], "variable": 30, // the following key does nothing "window": { "background": "dim", "position":"middle" } } },

Additionally, what is the proper way to format the key to create a predefined faceset in faces.json?
Don't put them in another "window" block, just have it as "background" and "position" within the "choice" block itself.

As for the predefined faces, you make different keys for different actor faces/emotions/costumes and what not, and inside each one is just a "file" and an "index" key to define he filename to load, and which character index to use. For big characters, (filenames starting with $), only index 0 is valid. For regular files, however, the indexes are any integer from 0 to 7. 0 being the top left, 4 being the bottom left, and 7 being the bottom right.

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Either I'm being impatient, I'm not very smart (which may both be the case), or maybe this plugin needs some serious user friendliness added.

Because right now, I am feeling pretty damned stupid... :D

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Either I'm being impatient, I'm not very smart (which may both be the case), or maybe this plugin needs some serious user friendliness added.

Because right now, I am feeling pretty damned stupid... :D
Could you explain what the issue is so I can help you? This doesn't help me know what you're having trouble with.

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Could you explain what the issue is so I can help you? This doesn't help me know what you're having trouble with.
I apologize. I had a rather frustrated post typed up but decided, at the last minute, to post that instead... In hind sight that was rather immature of me to do.

Honestly, I had trouble following almost everything. And I don't mean to be vague, I simply can't seem to find where to begin being constructive about it.

I'll take some time to do so and reply again.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I apologize. I had a rather frustrated post typed up but decided, at the last minute, to post that instead... In hind sight that was rather immature of me to do.

Honestly, I had trouble following almost everything. And I don't mean to be vague, I simply can't seem to find where to begin being constructive about it.

I'll take some time to do so and reply again.
I see. It's not entirely your fault, as I know the documentation on it is quite lacking. I've been meaning to make it better, and I should be releasing an update relatively soon that fixes some things and just in general improves it.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Before I get this, it is possible to change what it is in the database (items, weapons, etc) with the \t[key] code, right?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Before I get this, it is possible to change what it is in the database (items, weapons, etc) with the \t[key] code, right?
Yes, database items should work fine. If there's an instance where I missed them, please let me know and I'll fix i as soon as possible.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay I will let you know if there's an issue. Thanks!

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When using \t[key] I also get undefined. Am I doing this the right way? For instance in your demo, I would put \t[locked_choice] and that should be what brings up the text... right?

EDIT: Now it's not showing up the correct text at all, even with the plugin commands. It just gives the error in the message box saying that no key was found.

EDIT EDIT: I found the issue. Adding ANYTHING to the .JSON files will cause it to not read any of the pre-existing ones. I tried adding my own as a test, and nothing else worked after that.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: It was my fault. I added a single comma where there wasn't supposed to be one xP

Still though, if one command isn't working, it's not in anyone's best interest for it to break all of the text completely... you know what I'm saying? Maybe see if you can get that sorted out. Otherwise, it's totally working.

yongilcool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
sorry but what if i want to get a number from a text file and put it into a variable in the game?

like,   I'll put a text file with just a number 10 and no other content at all and load this in the game and save this number into variable[1]?

if you have answers pls share thank you! ;_;

Barduck

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sorry but what if i want to get a number from a text file and put it into a variable in the game?

like,   I'll put a text file with just a number 10 and no other content at all and load this in the game and save this number into variable[1]?

if you have answers pls share thank you! ;_;

Try this, it should work (replace key).

----------------

Bug report:

It doesn't seem to work properly with database items in the main menu :(

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
When using \t[key] I also get undefined. Am I doing this the right way? For instance in your demo, I would put \t[locked_choice] and that should be what brings up the text... right?

EDIT: Now it's not showing up the correct text at all, even with the plugin commands. It just gives the error in the message box saying that no key was found.

EDIT EDIT: I found the issue. Adding ANYTHING to the .JSON files will cause it to not read any of the pre-existing ones. I tried adding my own as a test, and nothing else worked after that.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: It was my fault. I added a single comma where there wasn't supposed to be one xP

Still though, if one command isn't working, it's not in anyone's best interest for it to break all of the text completely... you know what I'm saying? Maybe see if you can get that sorted out. Otherwise, it's totally working.

Sorry for the extremely late reply, I never noticed the edits, and have been a bit busy with other things in life. The reason everything breaks when one entry is broken is because of the way JSON works. Anyone using the JSON format for their plugin is pretty much going to use the built-in JSON.parse() function to convert the text into an object we can use in our programs. However, JSON.parse will cause issues if anything is not in the proper format, which sounds like the issue you were having.

Try this, it should work (replace key).

----------------

Bug report:

It doesn't seem to work properly with database items in the main menu :(

It looks like the version that's currently released is 1.0.0, which is odd because in my text editor, I have version 1.2.0 here. I'm sure there was some reason I haven't released it, but like I said above I've been pretty busy the last few months and so I honestly forget if there's something wrong with it. A quick test shows that it does fix the issue you're encountering, though, so you can try to use this version to solve your issue. Please let me know if that works for you so that I can make it the version in the main post. Please also let me know of any issues you encounter.

Barduck

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you Zalerinian! I implemented the 1.2.0 version and now the items and their names look properly in all menus.

I've tested the plugin for a few days and the only bug I found was this...

It's a rare and random bug (the worstest xD) and is annoying, but apparently it does not affect all the translations.

If you need more info please tell me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So in my stream for the No Travel Game Jam, I mentioned we were going to do a teaching make a game from beginning to end series of streams, but it had to wait on an announcement I couldn't make yet before I could start... Keep your eyes on our twitter tonight.
Surprise extra Text Adventure session! Feel free to drop by!
I just started parallax mapping. Better results for sure, but a lot more time consuming. It's more fun than I thought though.
After a bit of away time due to virus and friends in crisis (friends get priority!) I think things have calmed enough for me to try to resume my activity everywhere. :kaoluv:(I still been working on projects though!)
After watching 'Whisper Of The Heart' I've got the song 'Country roads' stuck in my head.
Don't mind it so much as that I was singing today at my Church. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starshot90