RMMV Generator Importer (.NET)

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Purzelkater, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Purzelkater

Purzelkater cat as cat can Veteran

First Language:
    German

[​IMG] RMMV Generator Importer (.NET)

Introduction

The RMMV Character Generator is a nice tool, but with more and more additional content for, it's hard to manage all the files. So I'm writing on a little program to simplify the import of additional generator parts.
    I know there is another utility made for this, but I don't like Java. So I wrote my own with .NET.

Well, as said, it's my goal to merge all the additional generator parts as easy as possible. So to build a new generator folder is just to hit one button.

How it works
    The main part of the GUI are the folders. You have to select the generator source folder, the generator target folder and you can add a couple of folders with additional parts.

The generator source folder is a copy of original RMMV generator folder, but on a save place. This will be the base for the importer. Because we have this copy we can work with, we can go back to the original state at all time. Finally the importer will make this copy for you, if you want.

On the first step, the importer reads all files on the source generator folder and determine the last used number for every gender and every generator part.

On the next step, the importer reads all files from the selected content folders. The importer assigns the files due the filename. This means, the importer "knows", "FG" files are for faces, "icon" files for Variation, ect. The only requirement is a "Female" or "Male" on the folder to the filename.
    Well, the importer reads all files and looks for the part numbers on the filename. Then it generates a replacement table for renumbering all additional generator parts. Okay, sounds a little bit crazy, but it's simple. This is the main part of the porgram.
    This will be repeated for all selected content folders, as noted.

On the last step, the importer creates a new generator folder on the target folder (should be on your RMMV folder) and copy all files from the orginal generator source and the additional folders to this target folder.

No source file will be changed on that.

Maybe this scheme will make it easier:

[​IMG]

Installation
    Simply download the attached zip file and extract it on a folder of your choice. At the moment there is no additional setup, you just can run the programm (RMMV Generator Importer.exe).

Program Window

[​IMG]

• Generator Source: This is the folder where the Importer can find the original Generator files. This -should- must be a copy of your original RMMV Generator folder. The path must end with "\Generator".
    • Generator Target: This is the folder where the Importer will save the new/merged Generator files. This must be the folder of your RPG Maker MV Generator. The path must end with "\Generator".
    • Content Folder: This is a list of folders with additional content (parts) for the Generator. You can add any folder you like. The Importer will process the folder in the given list order (will be changeable on the next updates). You can (de)select folders is you (don't) want to merge them at the moment.
      IMPORTANT: Don't add a folder with more than one "package" of parts!
      Example: If you have hiddone's MV Resource Warehouse on "D:\RMMV\Resources\Warehouse" and Mons Character Generator Expansion on "D:\RMMV\Resources\Expansion", don't add just ""D:\RMMV\Resources" but "D:\RMMV\Resources\Warehouse" and "D:\RMMV\Resources\Expansion".
    • Toolbar: You can find 2 buttons on the toolbar.
      Read all parts: This will read the Generator source folder and successively als selected content folders and generates a merge table with all files. This table will be the base for the 2nd button.
      Write all parts: Based on the merge table the program will copy all found images to the Generator target folder, renaming the files from the content folders on-the-fly. To use this function it's necessary to run "Read all parts" before.
    • Menu: On the File menu you can save the current folder settings and if needed you can make a "backup" of your current RMMV Generator folder.

First Start
    On the first start, only the a source folder is listed. But this folder should not exists yet.
    Well, you should select the Generator target folder now. This is the folder "Generator" on your RPG Maker MV folder. I would recommend to use a clean installation Generator folder.
    Now you have source and target folder select it's the best to create a copy of your RMMV Generator folder as base. This can easily be done with "Backup Target Folder" on the File meun. This will make a copy of your RMMV Generator folder (noted as "Generator Target") to the selected source folder.
    After this you can add additional content folders and save the settings (look at the File menu).

Import Content
    Import new content to the RMMV Generator is basically done by merging the additional images into the Generator folder.

To do this, you have to select the folders you want to import to your RPG Maker. Well, if you want a "clean" Generator you could run the import without selecting any additional folder.

Okay, after you have selected the folders (and verified the Generator source and target folder are right) you can hit the step 1 button on the toolbar: "Read all parts". Now you can see how the importer runs through all files and creates a merging table. If you want, you can look at your Importer folder. After step 1 has finished, there should be a new "content.xml" file you can open with notepad or web browser to see, what the Importer will done on step 2.

If the first step was finished without problems you can hit the step 2 button: "Write all parts". Now the Importer will read all images from the Generator source folder and the additionl folders to the RMMV Generator target folder and rename the additional images like noted on the table.

Hint: If the Importer find a Generator folder on the target folder, it will rename the the Generator folder with a timestamp to prevent a corrupted folder (so you can easily go back to an older folder version).

Attention
    This is an early beta version of the Importer program. Please be careful and make a backup of your RPG Maker MV folder. This program has possibilities to make your RPG Maker unusable.

Terms of Use
    This software is provided under CC BY-ND 3.0 (Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported) license. You can copy and use it for any purpose, even commercially, under the following terms: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license and you are not allowed to change the license. You are not allowed to distribute the software if you have made any changes of it.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Notes

• The program looks for the "p"-part on the filename. to determine the number. If ther is no number - like "pX1" - the file will be copied without changes.
    • If there are parts on an additional folder to overwrite the original files, the importer will run into some trouble. This is because the importer tries to add all additional parts to the base generator source. So if there is file with the same name, the importer will change this name to avoid conflicts.
    • I dont know it the generator can handle more then 2 digits on the "p"-part. Well, I haven't tried it right now.

Download

RMMV_Generator_Importer_V0100.zip, 2016-03-22, First release

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
    atoms, Wren, Archeia and 3 others like this.
  2. Jefries

Jefries Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    This looks awesome man and strangely I was thinking of someone making something like this today. Like seriously. Hoping to try it out.

atoms likes this.
  3. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I second because at the moment it's a pain for me since the update to rename all the ressource I had :(

Honestly I get discouraged after renaming new part number 31...

4. Purzelkater

Purzelkater cat as cat can Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I have edited the fist post with some additional infos and a download link to the first release.

If you run in some trouble, please give me feedback. If the program raises an error, there should be a file named error.log into the folder. Please send me this file to locate the error.

5. kimanimanipa

kimanimanipa Villager Member

Works like a charm ! Well, almost actually. I merged my generator with a little less than 20 add-ons and I just have some slight mismatching between some hair icons and the resulting game outputs (face and sprite), but in the end I only loose one hairstyle which I didn't plan to use anyway. Given the time and energy I've saved thanks to your lil' software here, I'd say this is not a bad price to pay at all. Plus the mismatching problem may come from the addon itself and not the utility. Anyhow, kudos to you Purzelkater and keep it up !!!

6. Triftgubble

Triftgubble Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not working for me, when i choose the source folder and the rpgmv folder i keep on getting conversion from string "AA" to integer is not valid. Unless i'm missing something you might want to check it out.

error.log File:

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Triftgubble The OP hasn't been on this site for nearly 2 years, so is unlikely to see your request.

8. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah...

Two years is WAY more than the 30 day limit in terms of necropost content. Especially since this regards the download itself and not error reports per se.

I don't have much in terms of problems over here (plus it's how I do anything for which I need that extra flexibility) so anything like that would have to be replicated anyway to be 100% regarding the issue.

9. Goole558

Goole558 Warper Member

First Language:
    italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A strange thing happens to me: one of the folders disappears blocking everything