oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not 100% sure if this is the best part of the forum to post this, but I figure someone probably has some experience with this so I wanted to check if anyone might have some insight on this issue.

I'm experimenting with editing some sprites and I'm trying to see how big I can get them without losing coherence. Here's an example of my work so far:

The bottom figure is the default maker sprite, then above that we have one that I made from editing the Dark Fantasy tall sprites and dropping the default head on top. The upper three are simply resized versions of that dark fantasy sprite at 125%, 150% and 200% (increased with "nearest neighbor" adjustment in order to preserve the look).

In terms of size, I think I prefer the middle-most sprite. It's just about the right size for what I'm looking for and it's decently meaty.

However, I've noticed that the 125% and 150% sprites have a bit of a jitter, especially around the eyebrow and mouth area. However, the 200% sprite seems to perfectly match the lower one, just at the higher scale.

I was wondering if anyone more familiar with the ins and outs of photoshop might know a way to replicate this on a slightly lower scale...I'm wondering if certain scales resize more smoothly than others but I wouldn't know where to start with that.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Normally when resizing pixel art you want to resize in x2, x3, etc.(200%, 300%). 125% and 150% will always lead to jittery results. You'll have to manually clean up the sprites.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem is that with anything but full multiples, the image program has to guess which color to give the mixed pixels, and that has nothing to do with photoshop or whatever other image program you use.

Simple example:
You have a 2-pixel sprite of one black and one white pixel and want to resize it with 150%.
150% of 2 pixels are 3 pixels.
Left pixel gets the black, right pixel gets the white - but what about the middle pixel?

Nearest neighbor makes it either black or white, resulting in the "jitter" of now black-black-white (the color change is no longer in the middle)
Other mathematics mix the color to grey - you now have black-grey-white as pixel colors, the "blur" that people complain about.

And there is absolutely no way to preserve the original look without manual correction (and sometime not even manual correction can preserve the original look), simply because the different number of pixels will always result in some distortion unless using full multiples.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Darn. Well, that's still good to know. Might stick with the 200% one just out of convenience then. I'll see how it looks with a whole squad of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Learning C on the side to support Haxe.
Imagine having a different opinion on the internet.
Crazy.
Here's the one that flee from no foe, the brave Sir Kiwival! Also protagonist of my current project.

This is the cover art of new game, "Primordial Essence".
I'm amazed at the performance increase I saw in just going through and rescoping the variables in other people's plugins that I'm using. You know what that means? :LZSexcite:
//Tosses more absurd stuff onto the game of "Jenga" that is his RM project.
:rheh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
koth707