Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to trigger certain Common Events when a class levels up, rather than when an actor levels up. I've tried various plug-ins (HIME's LevelUpEvents, Yanfly's LevelUpGrowthEffects, etc.) and they don't seem to be working for classes specifically, so maybe there's a different work-around? Here's an elaboration on my issue, and why it matters for my focus to be on individual classes and not merely actors:

In my game, each actor starts with a specific class, and then unlocks two more classes when their current class reaches level 10. For simplicity's sake, let's say that at class level 10, Class A unlocks both Class B and Class C, and the actor can freely choose between all 3 of these classes at any time. In other words, the actor can rotate between Level 10 Class A (the maximum/current level for this class), Level 1 Class B (which can then be leveled up to 10), and Level 1 Class C (which also can then be leveled up to 10).

When I set leveling up events on this *actor*, it almost works the way I want it to... when the actor's current class levels up, both things I want to happen actually do happen: the actor recovers all HP/MP, and the party receives a bonus item. However, in addition to receiving these two things upon leveling up, these two things also happen whenever the player goes into the Main Menu and switches between classes (e.g., changing from Class B back down to Class A, and then forward to Class B or Class C again), because this is somehow also perceived as leveling up. This means that the player can simply heal the whole party for free and receive unlimited bonus items *at any time* if they just keep manually switching classes back and forth for the whole party. I obviously want to restrict these two benefits to only occurring when a class levels up (e.g., from level 1 to level 2), and not when simply switching from a lower class to a higher class (which is also apparently interpreted as "leveling up", unfortunately). I've tried using a series of Conditionals and Common Events to narrow the scope of these level-up benefits, but nothing seems to be working.

Thoughts? Thank you!
Sincerely,
DPB

Edit: Here's a two-minute video clip outlining my issue too, which likely would need a plug-in to fix.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem here is that by default, classes have neither EXP nor a level attribute - those exist only on the actor.

you'll need a plugin to specifically create class-based levels before you can do what you want.
and most existing plugins - even those for subclasses and multiclassing - never assign levels to the class, they always use the actor as the base.

so you'll have to request your own plugin for this, and the description should specifically state what you want.

DarkPlasmaBall

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem here is that by default, classes have neither EXP nor a level attribute - those exist only on the actor.

you'll need a plugin to specifically create class-based levels before you can do what you want.
and most existing plugins - even those for subclasses and multiclassing - never assign levels to the class, they always use the actor as the base.

so you'll have to request your own plugin for this, and the description should specifically state what you want.
Ah, that's interesting... so when an actor switches from "level 1 in Class B" to "level 10 in Class A", and back again, the game engine just interprets that as repeatedly leveling up from level 1 to 10, disregarding any context of classes whatsoever?

And if so, is there any way to include a Conditional to make the engine check for leveling up while keeping the same class, rather than across different classes? (As in, the benefits of leveling up don't apply when the class is switched.)

As it is right now, it seems that whether Class B level 1 properly levels up through experience to Class B level 2 (same class), or simply switches to some other Class C level 2 manually through the Main Menu, the game interprets both as the same "level 1 -> level 2 = level up". Can I limit these to individually only work within the same class, so that the leveling up will receive these bonuses only when an actor levels up as it moves from Class X Level Y to Class X Level Y+1, as opposed to switching from Class X Level Y to some other Class Z Level Y+1? Is there any way to make classes matter for any of this?

Thanks for the response!

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
anything can be changed by plugin, because the engine runs in javascript and a plugin can replace any part of the engine - that is how the plugins completely rewrite the battlesystems for example.

however, the events themselves are restricted and cannot go beyond the engine options - that is why it would be extremely difficult to implement your wishes without plugins.

theoretically it is possible to do what you want with events only - you would have to store the exp and levels for all classes in variables, and replace the values on the actor at the moment you use events to change the class as well.
That will require a lot of variables depending on how many classes and actors you have, which is why plugins might be better to handle this.

KenSoulslayer

Graphic Designer/JS Dev
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As mentioned above, if the number of characters and classes are low variables will be fine, but it will just get more and more exhausting with more characters/classes.

The better and easier way would be to make a "plugin" yourself if you are familiar with JS or have a custom plugin made by someone who is up for that

DarkPlasmaBall

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

(I also edited the OP with a short video of the issue.)

KenSoulslayer

Graphic Designer/JS Dev
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Okay thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

(I also edited the OP with a short video of the issue.)
Seeing your video, Instead of using a common event, did you try using VisuStella Core engine? It has a replenish health and mana on level up setting in it, and hopefully it will only work with character level ups as it is injecting code into the js files instead of making events.

There could be alot of causes for the issue but try the core engine and it will probably be an easyfix? + it comes with a ton of other options and is free. Check this section of the wiki and try it out i guess
1607088686683.png

DarkPlasmaBall

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seeing your video, Instead of using a common event, did you try using VisuStella Core engine? It has a replenish health and mana on level up setting in it, and hopefully it will only work with character level ups as it is injecting code into the js files instead of making events.

There could be alot of causes for the issue but try the core engine and it will probably be an easyfix? + it comes with a ton of other options and is free. Check this section of the wiki and try it out i guess
Interesting! I haven't ever tinkered with VisuStella Core engine before; do you know if it's compatible with Yanfly's Core Engine? I have a ton of of other plug-ins in my game already. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try...... but that link takes me to an MZ page? I'm running MV; will that be an issue?

KenSoulslayer

Graphic Designer/JS Dev
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Interesting! I haven't ever tinkered with VisuStella Core engine before; do you know if it's compatible with Yanfly's Core Engine? I have a ton of of other plug-ins in my game already. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try...... but that link takes me to an MZ page? I'm running MV; will that be an issue?
I personally use MZ and I'm not sure about the MV version but I suggest you go ahead and check their wiki to see if those have similar features, it's possible Yanfly core also has it as it is a relatively simple addition and Yanfly is one of the contributors to VisuStella as well

DarkPlasmaBall

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally use MZ and I'm not sure about the MV version but I suggest you go ahead and check their wiki to see if those have similar features, it's possible Yanfly core also has it as it is a relatively simple addition and Yanfly is one of the contributors to VisuStella as well
Yeah I use a lot of Yanfly's plugins, but unfortunately the LevelUpGrowthEffects plug-in simply doesn't work at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

YAY!!! My third help Guide STEAM integration in MV (High performance) has been posted!

Both the polls for the 3rd Original Character Contest ended with 5th place ties! So let's break those ties. Vote now for your favorite of the ones tied!

werewolf and his friends added!!

YAY! I just posted my third Guide! Setting up STEAM Integration in RPG Maker MV WITH updated NW.js (huge performance update)
rux
MUCLSES!!! :epicface: :epicface:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nhawww