RMMV Move Route Tool

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Chocobo, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    [​IMG]
    The RMMV Move Route Tool is a little tool I programmed because creating event move routes always felt tedious to me. Imagine an NPC that should walk along a set certain route, e.g. walking along a street or walking a specific way in a cutscene. Inputting the individual move route commands by pressing the "Move Up", "Move Down" etc. buttons for longer routes often was erroneous and no fun.

With this tool, you can define a move route like this:
    1. Select your event, press CTRL + SHIFT + M
    2. Press arrow keys to define your route (or backspace to undo the last input or R to automatically add a backwards route)
    3. Press CTRL + SHIFT + M again; a move route command for that event is now added to your clipboard
    4. Paste the move route into your event

This video shows the tool in action:

In order to run this tool, you need to have Java (>= 1.8) installed on your computer. I only tested it on Windows, but feel free to test it on other systems and report it. Since I currently don't plan on extending this program, I didn't create a Github repo -- but you will find the source code inside the download folder.

You can find the download (executable and source code -- see ReadMe.txt for more info) in the attachments.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is very awesome.

If you have a larger map, will it make the map scroll as you move?

3. Chocobo

Chocobo Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Thank you :)

As it's basically just capturing the arrow button keystrokes, and they move the selected tile in RMMV, the map will be scrolled one tile when the next tile is outside of the screen. But you can also just scroll the map as you see fit – between the first CTRL + SHIFT + M and the second one, you can press or click or do anything you want, only the arrow keys (and backspace) will be captured.

Shaz likes this.
  4. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Underrated piece of gold.

mathmaster74 and Lonewulf123 like this.
  5. Meike

Meike ||Telling Stories Through Games|| Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is amazing! Move routes are a pain, especially when you accidentally click move left instead of move right.
    Great work on this! Thank you for sharing it.

6. cji3bp62000

cji3bp62000 Tsukimi Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello! I really appreciate this super simple but super useful tool, great job!!
    I'm also a plugin creator of RMMV, and I have always wanted to create a tool like this one(tools for people to simple creating complex commands).
    Can I reference your code?

rpgmakerer_kuro likes this.
  7. Chocobo

Chocobo Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Thanks for you feedback, much appreciated!

Yes, feel free to do so :)

Edit:
    I just uploaded a new version 0.1.1 that fixes a bug when the tool would stop responding after too much input when not capturing (> 512 arrow keys -- which can happen fast if you are playtesting).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Archeia and rpgmakerer_kuro like this.
  8. Chocobo

Chocobo Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Version 0.2.0:
    I added a new functionality for automatically creating a backwards route.

When in capturing mode, pressing the key R adds a backward route to the already input route, e.g. if you pressed ↓ → → ↑ ↑ ↑ ←, it will complete it to ↓ → → ↑ ↑ ↑ ← → ↓ ↓ ↓ ← ← ↑).
    Technically, this means that to the already input route, a reversed copy in which every arrow is converted to the opposite direction, will be added - or simpler: your NPC will go back to where it started moving.

9. Chocobo

Chocobo Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Version 0.3.0:
    Capturing the move route on an event now creates a move route for that event (instead of "this event" which was the old behavior).

It will also work for the player's starting position.

[​IMG]

Note:
    In order to accomplish this, this program simulates a CTRL + C press. Due to technical limitations, this takes about one second. This means that when you are fast with typing the arrow keys after the shortcut, the event id cannot be retrieved and thus it will default to "this event". You can use that to your favor if you want to create a move route for "this event".

Archeia likes this.
  10. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nice, definitely will consider using this the next time I do cinematic scenes.

11. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV