trap-sama

Slime Pursuer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm working on my first game and am having a hard time coming up with new puzzles to make. I've searched far and wide on the internet and found many tutorials for a boulder pushing puzzle, which I've already put into my game, as well as ice sliding and button pressing puzzles. But does anyone else have any others they could suggest to me. I can only reuse the same puzzles so many times in my game.

On the note of puzzles as well, could someone help me adapt Echo607's boulder onto switch tutorial for more than one boulder? I'm very new to switches and variables.
Video for reference:

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There are many threads discussing different puzzle designs. From within Game Mechanics Design forum, use the Search button with Puzzle as the term and check the box 'Search titles only'. That should give you a lot of ideas.

'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using. Because of your request for help with switches and variables, this needs to be moved.

[move]RPG Maker MV[/move]

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not going to watch an 8 minute video explaining how to do 6 puzzles just in order to see how they do one puzzle that you want changed to work differently.

But if it's a case of you have X number of boulders and you want any one of them to be moved onto a switch, just put the following onto each boulder event (let's assume your switch is at X=33, Y=27):

Code:
Set Move Route (this event) (wait for completion):
  Move away from player
Control Variables [Multi-use variable 1] = Game Data > Other > Character > This Event's X Position
If Variable [Multi-use variable 1] = 33
  Control Variables [Multi-use variable 1] = Game Data > Other > Character > This Event's Y Position
  If Variable [Multi-use variable 1] = 27
    ... boulder has been moved onto switch - do whatever you need to do here
  End
End

You could even put that into a common event, then on your boulder events just do a Common Event command. That way if you need to move the switch to a different location, you only need to update the switch coordinates in one event, not every one.

You'll need to set your switch event to Through, otherwise the boulders won't move onto it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Riding thru a slump and not sure how to drag myself out of it. Hate it when these moods take me. Trying to focus on my art but hit a wall with that(TT)
Trying to come up with an idea for a game, so far nothing.
I had one goal when I set out to make my Game Jam game. It didn't have to be super good and the game didn't have to have the best writing - it just had to NOT CRASH.

So yeah, someone was streaming it and it crashed.
Add Special Effects on Map with Tilesets | RPG Maker News #105

Excited to see all the entries for the 2021 Touch the Stars Gamejam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gio908w