RMMV Resource Manager

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Liquidize, Nov 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Liquidize

Liquidize Caffeine Overload Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RMMV Resource Manager - Version 1.0.0
    By Liquidize
    (First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, if it is not i am sorry.)

Introduction/About:

So people have been asking for this, apparently. I'm an engine developer/tools programmer, so I figured I'd quickly make this. It is an RPG Maker MV "Resource Manager". It is external to the editor itself, but stream lines the process of adding resources, as well as makes it easier to preview them. It is based off the RPG Maker VX Ace Resource Manager (in functionality and look) but comes with some additional functionality.

Features:

• Stream lines the resource management process through an external tool.
    • Preview OGG Files, Java Script Files (with syntax highlighting), uncompressed save data files, image files, and more.
    • Import files from your computer
    • Delete files from a project
    • Export files from a project
    • Import files from a direct web url into the desired directory, given a file name to save to.
    • You can edit the config.json file to ignore different file types or directories (for those scripters who use stuff like VSCode or WebStorm, or Git,etc)
    • Other stuff...?
    Requirements:

This is written in ".NET Framework 4.5" and should work without any additional effort if you are using Windows 8 or WIndows 10, if you aren't you may need to install ".Net Framework 4.5" found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653 If you are using Mac or Linux, you should be able to get it to work under Mono, http://www.mono-project.com/

Open Source:

This is an open source project, licensed under the MIT License. If you'd like to contribute visit the Github page! https://github.com/Liquidize/RMMVResourceManager It is built in Visual Studio 2015, but you may be able to contribute using Mono Develop.

Screen Shot(s):

[​IMG]
    TODO:

• Refactor Code (This was quickly made in about 2hrs tops, so it could use a bit of work code standard wise)
    • Add Settings and "Customization"
    • Requested Features
    • A better icon lol
    Download:

ZIP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/06le571vwg93lxb/RPG%20Maker%20MV%20Resource%20Manager.zip?dl=0

(Just unzip it somewhere and run the executable, I'll make an installer eventually)

HOW TO:

It is pretty straight forward, once the program is running go click File->Load Project->Choose the folder your RMMV Project is in->Ok->Use it!

NOTES:

Please do report any bugs,or crashes you have. As I said this was quickly made in about 2 hours or so, and while under testing it seems to work fine, there may be some bugs. It isn't entirely perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
    DangDut, JohnnyR, Otonashi and 10 others like this.
  2. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hoooray! No more bloated file sizes!

And wow, I am loving some of those other features! Nice work!

2 hours?

seriously?

3. Liquidize

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not to make it sound easy and that sorta stuff, but the technology its built on does a lot of the back end work for me, so it is much simpler to make than it probably seems.

e,g: In order to delete a file, all I need to do is call File.Delete("LOCATION OF FILE");, all the actual deletion logic is done in the .NET Framework back end code. But yeah, 2 hours lol.

4. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Heh, nice work :D

5. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is very convenient! I am just now finalizing an MV project and getting ready to deploy it. I downloaded this prog and I will give you my thoughts ASAP.

6. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks good, I was working on a manager myself that is gonna have a lot of these features plus more.

7. Xamos

Xamos Xamos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm so gonna use the heck out of this.

If it's not too much to ask though, I think what would be a great addition for this is if it checks a general database (The Master List for example in the scripts section) and checks the version of the scripts to make sure yours (The users)  is up-to-date. Maybe that already exists. I have hundreds of js plugins that came with RMMV and I have not a clue what to use lol.

8. Liquidize

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to say something that may upset some people lol, but it is the truth. First of all the public API for the master list hasn't be released yet,so there is no way of checking that. Even if that was released, there is no standard version format that developers use, some may use 1 way, others may use another. This doesn't make it impossible, just harder. The real issue is, if the master list API was released, it wouldn't matter. Most plugins on the master list don't give you direct links to the plugin itself, but rather due to people having egos, or what have you, link to a page on their website. Now this is completely fine, if I wasn't so lazy mine would link to a webpage as well,  I find that it would probably make it more fun and stuff who knows? Due to this fact there is no actual way to auto update the plugins. Sure if the plugin terms of service allowed it one could host them externally, but that is work for the maintainer of the auto updating system. Besides you shouldn't really be auto updating your plugins anyway, unless the plugin creator includes a change log in the plugin help section, you should really be reading change logs. People may not know how we actually go about making things do things, but they still should read change logs to keep up to date with features and bug fixes in case it removes or adds something you liked.

Edit: I should probably say, I understand why plugin creators use their own site to maintain that stuff. It makes it easier on those that do, instead of having to maintain a post on multiple websites (as there are more than 1 rpg maker website, albeit this being the official one) they can just link to a video and their page and that sorta stuff. Regardless of the reason though It still makes a plugin updating system difficult, if not impossible.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
    The Infamous Bon Bon likes this.
  9. Xamos

Xamos Xamos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh of course. It would take a little bit of work, for instance user's of current scripts would need to re-post so to speak their plugin on the website again and the owners of the Master List would need to add a bit more formatting to their system. They would need to have a spot where users can enter their version, plugin code, author info, and changelogs. Well as far as I can think of anyways.

I just don't know when for instance a plugin I have is updated to fix bugs or add features, there are way too many right now, for instance all of the YEP's that came with RMMV that I added. Heck there might even need to be a BOSS list for the plugins haha.

Just a suggestion, thought it would be an interesting idea although I see how it can be such a problem.