RMMV Trial

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
I know a lot of people hated that MV didn't come with all the resources initially and thus *****ed about it til they got what they wanted, but I know a lot of people who aren't happy with the one-file download that is so big... so much so that they don't want to download the trial at all and thus are missing out on trying the engine for themselves: possible customers down the drain.

Is there any way to have a series of smaller files, perhaps? Not everyone can just download 1G+ in a go, after all.

(Sorry if this is the wrong area but I figured this was the best place for it.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinchen

Kween
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
The reason for RMMV having a large file is because of the RTP being built in, I'm pretty sure it's worth the space. 

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
I know why it is, but people are being driven away due to the size. Which isn't good.

Looking at my install minus the extra DLC, the graphical assets are ~280MB, the audio assets are ~670MB. My suggestion would be to remove the m4a music (where are they even used? The Essential Add-ons DLC doesn't even have m4a versions available unless the user reencodes them) and reencode the OGGs at a lower bitrate (one is encoded at something ridiculous like 499kbps or so). That's the vast majority of the space right there.

Kinchen

Kween
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
It's normal to have an application with the size of 400MB, take note that other game making engines require 1 GB hard disk space or more.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suggested internally that MV might have been better with an ability to choose between different base projects based on different themes (like Fantasy or Science Fiction), only to be told that this was already suggested by Degica employees during the programming stage but the Kadokawa decided against such an option.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to product discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ah, thanks, Cel. Like I said, I wasn't sure where to put this. ^.^;

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even if such option existed, people would still complain about it.

"Where are all the other resources that everyone else got?"

"Why do I have to download them separately?"

"Why don't they bundle them all together into one bundle to I don't have to install everything manually?"

Thing is, Ksi, people will find a reason to gripe and moan.  I know these are potential customers, but if they aren't happy from the get go, they never will be.  It's the same for any product.

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You should use a torrent. Then people can specify which packs they want to include or not.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Another person posted this:

I did a useless test and after removing the m4a files from the default audio assets and reencoding the BGM to 192kbps VBR OGG files from... whatever the Frick they were before I reduced the file size of the audio folder from 673MB to 200MB. I can't comment on the contents of the trial itself though, if they have the same files as the purchased product (I'm going to assume 'yes', I can't download the trial because the subscribe/download system gave Opera a white webpage after I gave it a garbage email because Frick that. Also its a gig and my ISP has bandwidth restrictions).

Because I hate myself I threw the Battlebacks1 at PNGOut with maximum compression and saved another ~25% on filesize (85MB to 60.7MB). Too bad Irfanview's batch converter can't handle alpha channels, I can't do any work on any other asset because of it.
@djDark: At least give an option for people with lower internet speeds. For all that most people have high speed there are certain countries and places that do not get high speed. They shouldn't be left out because people *****ed about not getting everything (honestly, they shouldn't have been able to imo. If they wanted everything they should have bought the damn program. Trial versions are supposed to be a taste test, not the full bloody thing. :/ )

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
1.1 gigs is ridiculous for a trial, imo. Seeing that it takes me 23 hours to DL with my current connection and having an extremely limited bandwidth cap of 2 gigs, well--

Libby's/Ksi is right though. People shouldn't have stuff handed to them on a silver platter because they whined and moaned. If you want something, pay for it. And iirc, the old trial was only 560 or so mbs. ><

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just noticed the minigame challenge. Now considering...
My project just started lagging during battle and I haven't been able to figure out why...
Oh, Google is now warning users against installing extensions on Edge Chromium
on my plate today- animation.
"Your service has been identified as part of an outage. This is expected to be restored by 7pm IN SEVEN DAYS!!!" Guess I won't be around as much over the next week :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vlzvl