Onizuka

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good afternoon.

I'm watching some tutorials to understand Variables. I'd like to ask some questions. Well, one for start.

I made a simple puzzle of a boulder pushed onto a animated switch that lowers a wall.
But when I change zone and come back, the wall has disappeared like I want, but the boulder and the switch are back at their original position, while I'd like it to stay on the switch, but only if it was pushed on the switch. So for instance, if I push the boulder NOT on the switch and change zone, if I come back it'll be reset at its original position. But if I pushed it onto the switch, it'll stay there.

I've feeling I'm missing something very simple here.

Thanks if someone could clarify this.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could use a Switch, activated when the boulder is pushed onto the switch, and add another page to your event which sets it's location correctly like so:

rock1.png

rock2.png

In this example, even if the player leaves the map and later returns, the rockpile will remain at (1,5).

Onizuka

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you very much! It was "Set event location" that I was missing.

I had another question, but I tried to solve it on my own. After several hours, I couldn't find a good solution.

I'm making an event with a chest on a tile, with lava around it, as shown in the picture:

Lava Event.png

I remember in old RPGs when you couldn't reach a chest, triggered a switch and a bridge appeared.
I'd like to have a coffin appear there, in that space between the character and the chest, after a Boss battle.
The coffin appears, but even if I use "Through" I cannot pass, I think because of the lava. If I use "Through" on the Actor, he just passes through everything!

I was trying to find a solution with this through Variables, as a way of practice, but I'm starting to wonder if they're good for this kind of event. Actually, I'm not able to solve this either with other methods...

Anyone here knows how could I make my character walk on this coffin over the lava?

Thank you again.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure thing, glad that helped!

What is the priority set to for the coffin/bridge tiles (in the tab they flip to after the boss battle)? It will need to be 'below characters' in order for your actor to walk on it.

Onizuka

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, it's Below Character for both tiles of the Coffin (2 events, Parallel). If I move these tiles on the ground tiles, I can walk through them. The problem is if I put them on the lava tile like in the picture above: In that case I cannot walk through them anymore.

I had this same problem a few weeks ago on a Library secret passage I wanted to make. No matter how much I tried and looked at tutorials, to pass through the tile of the wall I had to turn on "Through" for my Actor, that made him go through everything.

Any clues?

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah! Try changing the coffin tile (whichever you're using) passability to 'o':

os.png

Then your toons can walk on it:

lavawalker.png

Keep in mind that in doing so, you'll make it passable if used elsewhere, but this is easily overcome by adding a blank event on the coffin tiles with 'same as character' priority.

Onizuka

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, it worked! I didn't think about that simplest of things! Thanks a lot!
I was still thinking about my very first secret passage puzzle, where if I pushed a switch the library opened, and I couldn't solve it because I couldn't make the wall "passable", or every wall would be, so I used Switches and Throughs, but the effect was like this:

Library puzzle.png

I had to put random items around, because when I opened the library I activated Through On and I couldn't make it so that my actor just went straight while turning invisible. It was my firstsecret passage and I let it go by now, but still I wonder if there's a better solution to the one I found.

By any chance, do you have any idea about that too?

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Excellent! Progress :)

So an easy approach would be to just make your D or E tile tab for that set the A sheet with the wall you're after on it (or a custom sheet you might put together with a tool like PS or Gimp that includes that and others you need unique passability for) :

Inside_D.PNG

Then make the priority for the event (using the D tab sheet tile) 'Above characters', so your actor can walk under it.

The only downside is that there will be visible lines where the alternate tile is used; A tab tiles are special in ways I don't understand the underlying mechanics of, which enables them to mesh together perfectly with like adjacent tiles. So, it would look like this:

lines.png

There's probably a clever way to overcome this but the above would be a quick and easy (though imperfect) approach.

Onizuka

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, this looks like a good solution. I guess I'll have to do the same with the "ceiling wall", the one in the above picture where I put all those bottles, as that is also another tile that you could normally walk through.
I'll do some test, thanks again. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Another character battle theme
Sorry everyone. Covid rules made me a laptop potatoe and I would need more exercise and past 2nd invasion I am still fighting for space also here. So I am not enough often here and... well I answer even less to my e-mails. DC is saying a huge HI to everyone with her heavy wet purrings.

You all take care in here ^^
traficaccidence.jpg
"It's time to add cars into the city!"
--- Famous last word of the developer's character before hit by a car :kaoswt2:
Yay, our new game, Causality is finally released on Steam!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classicmaster