RMVX ACE v RMVX Ace Lite

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by thecrazychimpz, May 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. thecrazychimpz

thecrazychimpz Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    What are the main differences between the full version and the free version? Do both versions let you import your own custom made tile sets?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

You know, this question has been asked over and over ... you could have done a search first ;)

Lite does not let you modify or add scripts, and the scripting options related to event commands are unavailable (Control Variables, Conditional Branch, Script, etc).

Lite DOES let you import your own materials, but you are limited to how many slots you can use in each database tab. You are also limited in how many maps you can have, and how many events on each map. So while you can import them, you may not be able to use very many of them.

You can release a game commercially made in the full version, but not in the Lite version.

3. zeello

zeello newbie to RPG making Member

First Language:
    English
    Some things are noticeable even from owning the Lite version, such as:

- You can only have up to 10 events per map in Lite.

- You cannot change the number of skills, states, or items in the game.

- Lite version does not let you import, create, or edit scripts.

I only got the full version today and so far some of the additions are more sprites for actors/NPC's/etc, and the character generator now has the complete set of options instead of limiting you to 2.

4. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

this topic lists other limitations of Lite as well.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/8882-rmns-rpg-maker-vx-ace-lite-cook-off/

The full version gives you access to more resources, as well. (Lite only includes a sampling of the RTP resources of the paid full game.)

Lite has the advantage of allowing you to learn to use event with switches, variables, conditional statements and many features new users need to learn. You can learn to manage the database, add your own resources and customize your game. You can plan, write, organize, and do all of the things that will help you become a really great game maker. And then, when you are ready to go forward, spend the money.

I have worked with lot of people who start with Lite or the trial of the full version and my suggestion is to start with Lite and Lite only on your machine. Once you start making your game and seeing what you can do you will quickly realize the game engine is worth the cost and buy the whole thing. =] Your Lite games will all work in the full version.

The immediate purchase of the full version, of course allows you to do all that stuff and never have to upgrade or put up with the little quirks of Lite (The Sample Maps and Database for troops are glitchy since not all resources are included) and counting ten events per map is really a VERY RESTRICTIVE number. You will want to switch over to the full version once you have started to make a game in earnest.

Here are some of the other topics on the subject, for your perusal.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20340-rpg-maker-vx-lite-question/ - this one also deals with the "unexpected file format" problem that occurs when you switch back and forth between Lite and full-version

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/11876-rpg-maker-vx-ace-lite-workarounds/ - this one also covers "work arounds" and sample games in Lite

difference between rpg maker vx/ace and rpg maker vx/ace lite

comparison between ace and lite

ace versus ace lite

hoping these will catch the forum searches

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  5. zeello

First Language:
    English
    I was using Lite for a while, and have not purchased the full version until today.

However I noticed that many elements are not unlocked in my project I had from before. (such as sprites for Actors, NPCs, etc that are only in the paid version) Basically, anything in the resource manager is still stuck in Lite. Maybe there is a way to import, but I'm not sure how. Kind of a drag having to do it manually though.

Although I do think starting with Lite is obviously the best method regardless. It's $70 software, wouldn't you rather learn it first? and make sure it actually runs? Of course you do!

6. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    You could create a new project and try copying your Data, Graphics and Audio folders. I never had Lite, so i can't guarantee that this will work, though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  7. GrandmaDeb

I think you may just mean Audio and Graphics? and copy it into the existing project.

It is just a simple copy of the folder contents.

But You really don't want to add ALL of the graphics to your project. (Unless you are just playing around and experimenting with stuff)

What I do is keep a "fully loaded" project with all the RTP stuff in it and then I add only what I need to each project as I need it.

BTW do you have to download the RTP separately these days?

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages

if you have it you can find it about right here:

[​IMG]

So you go to those folders (follow the path you se at the top of the window - it should be similar on your PC) and just copy in the contents.

This assumes you *******have not edited any of the Rtp files*******

If you have you will have to protect them somehow before you make a mass copy.

If you are still having trouble I suggest that you open a help topic here:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/4-rpg-maker-vx-ace/

8. thecrazychimpz

thecrazychimpz Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I read somewhere that with the lite version you only get 4 tile sets. Does this mean you only get 4 pre made tile sets? If I wanted to make my own tiles, would I be able to import as many as I want?

9. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Ah, seems i missread the post, yeah in this case it would be only Audio and Graphics. Data is for Actors, Animations and everything else in the database.

10. GrandmaDeb

There are four tilesets already set up and ready to go in Lite.

You only have four slots for tilesets in the database of Lite.

You can add your own resources to an existing tileset, or eliminate an unwanted one and replace it with one you prefer.

VX/Ace has a much greater number of slots available for tilesets, and you can add new tilesets without eliminating the existing ones.

11. zeello

First Language:
    English
    But how do I know what I'll end up using or not?

Does it make sense to delete EVERYTHING and just add it back when I need it? Adding stuff back in sounds like a huge hassle and I can't imagine it possibly being worth the trouble.

It would invariably result in my switching project back and forth to check if there's anything in the RTP I could use that I had previously deleted.

I was considering doing this for skills and items (since the default ones are pretty much all rubbish) and maybe actors/classes, but not graphics.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  12. GrandmaDeb

One problem games have is that they get to be very large.

Look for topics on this subject for more info.

But while you are starting out you will probably enjoy getting to play around with all of it.

It is just really hard to know what you used and what you didn't use down the road.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015