[RMVX] Seraph Blade Online

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by migidu, Jul 1, 2014.

?

Did you like the Game?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. migidu

migidu Villager Member

[​IMG]

Game link :http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/108

Game Download : https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uw0gahext4celf/SBO%20v1.00%20%5BNO%20RTP%5D.exe

Facebook Page : https://www.facebook.com/seraphbladeonline

facebook sample video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=673084852797831

Game Started : June 8 2014

Game Submitted : June 28 2014

BACKGROUND OF THE STORY

"And the Lord God said, 'Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever': Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." Genesis 3:22-24

SETTING OF THE STORY

In the Year 2030, where VR MMORPG has become popular after the Seed has been shared to the world, an emerging company has created a new world - Seraph Blade Online. Inspired by the quest to find Eden, the game focuses on finding the Seraph Blade, the so-called fiery burning sword that guards the Gate of Eden.

As the main hero of the story, you will explore the Continent of Aura. Defeat lots of monsters! Sell loots for money to buy skills and equipments! Do quests and interact with npcs! Upgrade your weapon and armors! Enjoy the company of a navigation pixie! No grinding, just a sandbox type of feel. Gameplay is quest based and story-driven.

GAMEPLAY

Inspired by: Ragnarok Online and Sword Art Online

Simple mouse and click. 8 beautiful maps to explore with 40 quests to do! Enjoy the feel and concept of your very own mmo style game in you very own RPG MAKER VX!

Note: this game is solo play and is offline.

Screenshots

Easy to Control, Realistic MMORPG feel! Nostalgic!

[​IMG]

Amazing Loots and Battle System

[​IMG]

Wonderful Mapping. Fully themed with NPCs!

[​IMG]

Awesome Quests! Fast paced Gameplay!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
    Zefreonzack and estriole like this.
  2. tearsofthenight

tearsofthenight Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like it!

3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

To put it as bluntly as possible, there is no DEMAND for online games made in RM with no ONLINE aspect. It’s not so much that it’s badly done as much that it’s not something most players WANT.

Grind oriented online game work partly from the actual online aspect. If you strip that into a solo experience it becomes a messy grindy boring fest. There is no point to it.

I guess it seems like there was a lot of work into emulating the online systems. It seems like a copy of Ragnarok Online.

It had some really ugly flaws like the screen being too small to accommodate what one would think of online games, the pathfinding being inexistent and combat being a joke.

There was nothing in the way of plot or characterisation. Progression seemed largely arbitrary. I don’t really know what this game is TRYING to do, besides emulate mmos. Who is this FOR? Who’s supposed to ENJOY it?

There was a lot of mechanical stuff that was somewhat impressive in this game, but ultimately it had no SUBSTANCE, only a sort of mmo façade without any real content or engagement factors.

Plainview likes this.
  4. migidu

migidu Villager Member

to those who have played this game thanks. the engine has been updated. there are passive skills, job level bonuses, item equip drops now have prefixes and are more randomized. the world map is completed. a deep story is still in progress.

for those interested in this engine. message me or just post in this thread i will send them to you.

5. Plainview

Plainview Man Behind the Mask Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I kinda have to agree with Indra, because I'm not sure who would take an interest in this game. I mean, it might interest someone, but not for long. I found myself bored out of my mind after the first few minutes. I normally don't mind grinding in MMOs, but MMO grinding by yourself is always tedious. Coupled with the small screen, even smaller messages (to me anyway), and lack of a plot, it just... kind of exists.

It's neither good or bad, just there. I applaud the technical stuff, but everything else is sort of lackluster.

6. I_MIKE_I

I_MIKE_I Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    I only took a short look at it, so what I'm going to write is just my first impression:

Con:

1. The concept is just bad imo. Trying to fake a MMO is just a bad idea... Every developer of a good MMO being asked about the most important content will give you the same answer: Players.

2. Just being a MMO fake does not excuse the absence of a story, since most MMO do have a story, the good ones actually have a fairly solid one.

3. Battle and Movement via Mouse is ... not my taste.

4. At the start, you run into dialogues, which not only are sort of... nonsensical, but as a matter of fact feel like wasting your time.

5. It feels VERY scripted (ok, I've played only the start, but the way towards the training grounds literally drove me insane), you're no hero, you're not on a mission... you just grind levels for the NPCs to continue their dialogue.

6. The Interface stuff is all over the screen and plain annoying.

7. The Graphics shown in the dialogues don't match the sprites at all... and the sprites are just the RTP ones. I kinda fail to see why one would make graphics for them which don't even match them. -_-

8. Why would a "high level dragon", which kills you, be the 2nd Monster you encounter on your way from the starting point towards the first town? And why are you the only "Player" with a Pixie, that sounds like she's your personal slave for more than just questing - by constantly calling you "master" and showing a <3 symbol?

Pro:

The only good thing I really noted was that the Graphics were made reasonably well (altough not my taste). Some Technical stuff might be done well, but the overall design of the Game annoyed me too much to really notice it.

I don't want to sound like I'm flaming you, I'm sure it took a lot of work and all... but I really think most people will quit it the moment the interface is introduced to them.

PS: I'm still a beginner, and more expirienced people might have different views on it.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  7. migidu

migidu Villager Member

Read again. The story is based on VRMMORPG, but the game is not an MMO. It says right there, this is solo, offline, mouse click. The Interface is inspired by RAGNAROK ONLINE and the feel is like SWORD ART ONLINE. You have a navigation pixie. if you say the Graphics are ALL RTP, think again. its in RTP style because I want to keep the VX RTP style. 

If the the texts are too small for you, try playing it at full screen. 

If any others would just criticize why did this game even existed, this game is for fans of RO and SAO. It will have grinding, it has a simple interface. There was never a mmo that had a good story, its either grinding or doing quests. MMO are more about the roles and partying, the battle mechanics. Of course there's the main story to drive the player to the next map, and explore.

Crafting was not included when this was submitted. Yes you can craft potions, cook food, craft swords and armors in the new engine. Fantasy online was a great game despite its point and click and graphics. Item drops are even more fun now, because its random and you can actually get items with prefixes. There's also the credit system, where a player gains soul points per monster killed, and exchange it for a special item.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015
  8. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    do you need CAPS LOCK to refer to RAGNAROK ONLINE and SWORD ART ONLINE? xD

9. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Why is there a huge massive ice walls and green sunny grass? @2:11 in video

Mapping is kinda blah.

oh I thought is was an online mmo also until I read your ater post. My bad (sad)

Story Seems kind of nice.

Interface is good.

"What is a noob doing here? This is not the training grounds!" LMAO!

Game has possibilities.

and how big is the download?? Why does hardly noone put the size up anymore.

10. I_MIKE_I

I_MIKE_I Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    That's not a story to me...

Ragnarok Online (the original one) has some backstory to it, copied from a wiki:

Sword Art online also has a story:

A player gets trapped in a MMO and if he dies ingame, he dies IRL. - to put it very short.

This however, just says "Hey I'm a MMO, just without "Massive", "Multiplayer" and "Online"".

Maybe if the story gets a bit deeper, like sword art online's or so, it could be interesting - but as it is now, it's too thin for my taste.

I didn't say the graphics are all RTP, I just found it lacking that the well made graphics were assigned to sprites which not only were default ones but also WAY different from the graphics assigned to them.

EVERY decent MMO has a story. The first thing that comes to my mind is Guild Wars (1+2), which is extremely story driven and does so with no real grind (unless you want some fancy weapon skins).

11. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First of all, I was amazed by all the windows and mouse clicking stuff and as well as the fact that this game hasn't caused any performance problems like other similar games do. I neither think that it is a problem that you have no decent story because there is the dungeon crawler genre and since Celianna's Ancient Dungeons we all know that Dungeon can mean any type of map from forests to mars bases ;-).

However, what I really missed was moving my character with keyboard/joypad. I also missed the explanation how to wield or wear my equipment they also never showed up in my equipment window. Where went my freshly purchased sword???...

In the recent state your game is more or less a tech demo with a rather cumbersome user interface. But it has a lot of potential. Btw. when you put so much effort into a mouse driven graphical UI, why not also a drop down menu where you can turn on and off the windows instead of wanting the user to remember key strokes?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
  12. JaiCrimson

JaiCrimson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow I am sooo impressed by all this "constructive" criticism.

To everyone asking "who wants an mmo without the o?!?" - Take a look at .hack// games.

To the developer... I know you want to do a ragna and sword art style but if you really want to take this to that next level you should really consider playing .hack games or at least watching the anime. The games and anime are both insanely successful and was basically what sword art online wished it could be. For the games start with the .hack//infection series on ps2 and for the anime start with the .hack//sign series. It will make you think much deeper than SOA so if philosophical stuff isn't your style just stick to the games.

The game itself seem kinda beta-ish but has impressive window and menu setup. Did you use Luna Engine for that?

Anyway, keep it up and this could be something special!

Kyuukon likes this.
  13. migidu

migidu Villager Member

Thanks jai, for understanding this was really more of a beta and not a full game when it was submitted. I will check dot hack. I have not wathced it yet.

Thanks fel, i apolgoze for the lack of tutorials as i was the only one beta testing it. Theres a minimize button for the windows.

I need not explain the story. If it was to a writer i will. You log in to this new game, get warped in a high level dungeon. Got killed by a high level monster. Why? You get warped to the inn. Search for some answers. You find out about hero classes emerging. Classes were generated randomly at first. Now theres a top search team led by the top player. You got help from a girl. Obviously if you're saying this has no story you havent played the game at all. People who dont read and test the game have no right to review games just from screenshots.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
  14. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, not sure if you want a hack game / dungeon crawler. But the goal of a dungeon crawler is just to get deeper or further than you ever came before. Usually when you die, your character leaves a gravestone with your race/class, level and date and time on it and which you can find again with another character if you get that far.

Sometimes there is a small plot, like you being a prisoner and getting thrown into a dungeon and have to fight your way throw. Sometimes it's with a base where you travel forth and back to buy better equipment before you attempt a more advanced level / area.

15. migidu

migidu Villager Member

i think id go with the delivery of zenonia. talk to npcs, bounty and fetch quest like that. i know dungeon crawling engine, but it wont be like ragnarok. i have played diablo 2, and some other dungeon crawling games.