RushLog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am using RPG MAKER VX ACE. That is because I could not find another forum to place this in, other than MZ support.

Any RMVXA users please help!!

Okay, so, all I want to do is to make a secret door. Here is the map layout for the building where the secret door is, the pub.

import.jpg

(Yes, I know I used the sample map, but at least I deleted a wall and turned the piano into an organ. I also fiddled with the curtains, and I might edit it more later)

I made it so the man is on a date, and when you go up to him and press the action button(which I cannot figure out how to change, but that is fine, I do not need to change it), he says that he is on a date and asks you to get some wine for his date, the woman on the other side of the table(whom you cannot talk to, even though it looks like it because there is an event there; that is just for the character). He offers you a reward of 40G if you do.

You can get some wine from the bartender, and if you get more than one bottle the man pays you extra--80G(which is not a lot because the wine costs 30G, more expensive than a night at the inn in my game)

The bartender questions you about being underage, but if you say that yes, you have a reason to get it because
the man on a date told you to get some, he gives you some, and then you can give it to the man and he rewards you depending on how much you got him.

The paper on the wall just says to order your drinks up front, and the other blank event in the middle of the map is just for variables.

Now here comes my issue.

You will notice that there is an event on the organ stool, and that is obviously because you are supposed to play it.

Since I was previously using the lite version to see If the full game was worth it, I had to import the organ sound from a new project, but that turned out okay. I want the secret door to be on the other side of the room, past the bar. I want it so that when you play the organ a secret door comes up, and I am watching a tutorial for that.

My only problem is that I need it to be covered by a bookshelf, but I cannot get the bookshelf image as an event graphic, because even though the tileset is automatically in the event graphics to select, it is only one frame tall!

You see, I tried exporting the Tileset-B for interior, which has the bookshelf graphic, then adding an exclamation point at the beginning of the file, which I guessed from other 2-frame tall character files was supposed to make it 2 frames tall, then importing it into the character files, but there was still a little room on the edges expanding into the other frame, and I don't want part of another image on my bookshelf!

adfad.jpg

Please help?

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello and welcome to the forum. For the secret door I would strongly recommend opening the tileset image in any image editing software (GIMP, Photoshop, put your favourite here), take what you need and create a single character sprite sheet so that you can use it as a normal event.

If you want to do it differently, you can create two events, each with one part of the tileset, and have them move together. Be aware of the fact that, if you do it like this, you might probably want to use a more complicated logic to synchronize their movement (which I do not recommend).

Also, since those are standard RTP tiles, if you see them like that, you might have done something wrong when importing them. I recommend starting a new project, with default RTP, and copying your data in it. This should also solve the alignment issue with your tiles.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried exporting the Tileset-B for interior,
no need for any exporting.
if you scroll down to the bottom of the sprite list in the event sprite selection window, you'll see the entries where you can select a tile from the current tileset of the map as the sprite. And as long as you have a B-E slot free you can add any other tilesheet to the tileset for this.

if the tileset is already full and you need a sprite from a different tilesheet, then you need to make a lot more changes before the picture gets accepted as a sprite. Here is a tutorial that explains that part:
How to create your own templates (any sprite or battler sheet) | RPG Maker Forums

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A quick edit in Photoshop and here you go. Put in characters folder then it will function as one event.
Set move route to move the event.
!$WineShelf.png

RushLog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
no need for any exporting.
if you scroll down to the bottom of the sprite list in the event sprite selection window, you'll see the entries where you can select a tile from the current tileset of the map as the sprite. And as long as you have a B-E slot free you can add any other tilesheet to the tileset for this.

if the tileset is already full and you need a sprite from a different tilesheet, then you need to make a lot more changes before the picture gets accepted as a sprite. Here is a tutorial that explains that part:
How to create your own templates (any sprite or battler sheet) | RPG Maker Forums
that is not really what I need, I need it all in one event, but thank you for the suggestion

A quick edit in Photoshop and here you go. Put in characters folder then it will function as one event.
Set move route to move the event.
View attachment 230777
Thank you! It worked! Let me just try the secret door, and I will let you know if it works

Thank you! It worked! Let me just try the secret door, and I will let you know if it works
Edit: Currently I am trying to get the organ to work, but I cannot figure out how to make the organ stop the player's movement temporarily, until the event is done.

I tried using autorun, but it just plays over and over when the player enters the map, although the player cannot move, so that is one step.

I need to make a condition for the organ to check if the player is touching it, but I have no idea how to do that.

RushLog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Never mind, I finished the secret door!

A huge shoutout to this thread here for helping me with checking to make sure that the positions of the character and an event are the same.

Also, Roninator2 definitely helped me with the wine shelf, so thanks to him also.

My only problem is that when I open the secret door on one save file, and even if I do not save it again, the ability to use the organ is permanently deleted on that save file. It probably has something to do with the fact that I am using erase event at the end of the secret door cutscene.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Never ever use erase event for that sort of thing.

Erase event means that the event stops running/vanishes until the next time you enter that map. It is most commonly used either on a parallel process to e.g. set the BGM for the map/do lighting or tinting, that sort of thing, stuff which you want to happen before the map loads up and becomes visible to the player or in visible enemy encounters where you want the enemy to respawn if the player enters the map again. The purpose of the erase event command is to stop the engine processing that event for ever, causing lag. That's a bit simplified, but gives the general idea.

If you want the music to play and stop the player's movement during that time, do this.
Event with organ graphic. Set 'Trigger' to Action Button. The only command on the right side of the page is "Self switch A ON". This is triggered when the player engages with the event.
Second page, with organ graphic. Event command to play the music track. Decide how long you want that music to play for and put in a Wait command for that amount of time. 60 frames = 1 second.
After the wait command, put in the command "Self switch A OFF". That puts it back onto page one.

You haven't said where you are putting the command to reveal the secret door. Depending on what you're doing, the second page after the Wait and before turning off the self switch is an obvious place to put it.

RushLog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Erase event means that the event stops running/vanishes until the next time you enter that map. It is most commonly used either on a parallel process to e.g. set the BGM for the map/do lighting or tinting, that sort of thing, stuff which you want to happen before the map loads up and becomes visible to the player or in visible enemy encounters where you want the enemy to respawn if the player enters the map again. The purpose of the erase event command is to stop the engine processing that event for ever, causing lag. That's a bit simplified, but gives the general idea.

If you want the music to play and stop the player's movement during that time, do this.
Event with organ graphic. Set 'Trigger' to Action Button. The only command on the right side of the page is "Self switch A ON". This is triggered when the player engages with the event.
Second page, with organ graphic. Event command to play the music track. Decide how long you want that music to play for and put in a Wait command for that amount of time. 60 frames = 1 second.
After the wait command, put in the command "Self switch A OFF". That puts it back onto page one.

You haven't said where you are putting the command to reveal the secret door. Depending on what you're doing, the second page after the Wait and before turning off the self switch is an obvious place to put it.
yes, but I want the player to not be able to move during the organ event, and thus I use autorun.

RushLog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
ohhh, I see what you are saying now. So you put the command for the second page as autorun and the condition will be the switch?
In that case I would need another switch to make sure the player cannot do it twice at all.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you want this to happen only once, then after the Wait command to allow the music to play, instead of putting Self switch A OFF, put Self switch B ON. Have a third page conditioned by self switch B and nothing else. Because there is no command you ensure that nothing further can happen with that event.

If, on the other hand, you want to allow the player to do it a second time in particular circumstances, then you will have to use a conditional and put the A and B switches in the appropriate branch.

RushLog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

nvm, they should be able to do it twice

RushLog

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you want this to happen only once, then after the Wait command to allow the music to play, instead of putting Self switch A OFF, put Self switch B ON. Have a third page conditioned by self switch B and nothing else. Because there is no command you ensure that nothing further can happen with that event.

If, on the other hand, you want to allow the player to do it a second time in particular circumstances, then you will have to use a conditional and put the A and B switches in the appropriate branch.
OK, it works, although there is a slight bug of it playing the sound even when the shelf cannot move, but I am too lazy to fix that, so there you go. Boom.

(btw I need it to be able to be played again because when they go into the secret room and come out, the bookshelf will have been restored to its original location, even though I did nothing.)

Also, I am moving on to a new game.

So, yeah...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
the bookshelf will have been restored to its original location, even though I did nothing.)
For your future reference, it is back in its original location because, by default, whenever you leave a map events revert to their opening location. If you want an event to stay at the location it has moved to you will need to use a script. Shaz has one which you can find here. It's straightforward to use.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

WHEEL3.gif
Ooker spookers and fun attack mechanics! What a Friday!
Not today... Not today...
I guess I should send my CV to Hasbro. I've made Monopoly cheaters edition more fun and challenging. I've developed custom cheats and chest/chance cards for it. And I've cleared many nightmares through my cards and rules.
I'm only missing 2 more bgms for my game but maaaaan, searching for these tracks is killing me. Can't find anything good to replace MZ's Theme 2 and Scene 5 I have as placeholders. Everything is too epic or too evil or too alarming. That 'scene 5' track in particular would fit nicely with my scene. Well, at least I finally figured what my last click-fest of a gameplay element will be like, so something positive :D
Finding new interesting stuff to make for the resource calendar becomes harder every year D:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vestrio