[RMVXA] Soul Keeper's Eyrie - Updated with character profiles (WIP)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Sanguine, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     ​
    The continent of Bastion has always been ruled by the mega-city Bastion for ages. It's colonization efforts has led many of the city's heroes, guilds and champions of the crown to scour the large continent in a bid to claim the whole continent as it's own. Despite tensions between many smaller countries and the Bastion, most colonization efforts were welcomed, as the mega-city had the most sophisticated technology, and heralded the promise of a better life to many commonfolk, living in rustic towns or backwater cities.
     ​
    Unbeknownst to many, the governing council of the mega-city sent a team of elite mages to dig and discover an old abandoned temple in an isolated, quaint island. Our main character, a level headed sorcerer, Vulkar, would lead the team of spellcasters into the dangerous and mysterious temple. 
     ​
    However, due to an unexpected turn of events, and a decade of waiting, Vulkar would then set out on a mission to bring retribution to those who deserve it, and would unravel secrets, significant enough to tarnished and break apart the pristine and clean image of the mega-city, Bastion.
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Vulkar Magnussen:​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Class: Elemental Mage​
    Weapon of Choice: Staff​
    A calm, level headed and stoic man. He has mastery over all elements, however fire is his specialty. He is part of an elite group of spellcasters, but due to a turn of events, is now hunting the remaining sorcerors of the group.​
     ​
    Dante Ibis:
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Class: Priest​
    Weapon of Choice: Spellbook​
    A young and rather naive person, Dante is always cheery and positive. Although Dante is only beginning his fully-fledged priest training, he has a natural talent and flair of healing. ​
     ​
    Tosca Ivanovic:
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Class: Warrior​
    Weapon of Choice: Battleaxe​
    Tosca is a rather jaded and cynical person, having been a senior and a mentor to many young and naive warriors and priests. She is hardly phased by anything, and is the bravest of the party.​
     ​
    Wahlen Donoghue:
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Class: Paladin​
    Weapon of Choice: Warhammer​
    Wahlen is a close friend of Tosca's, and both treat each other as close siblings. Despite having a fierce front, Wahlen is extremely patient and gentle as a person, and fights to defend those he cares for.​
     ​
    Felix Oya:
    (Portrait is a WIP)
     ​
    Class: Rogue​
    Weapon of Choice: Daggers​
    Having been raised in a wealthy family, Felix has the appearance of a over-sheltered, rich aristocrat. However, she leads a double life of a paid assassin during the night, which makes her deceptively lethal.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     ​
    A small video featuring an underwater zone in the introduction :)

​
    This is an older video, just showcasing one of the earlier maps.​

[​IMG]
    - A turn based, battle system, in which skills can be sped up, interrupted, bringing the agility stat into play. (Similar to FFX)​
    - A focus on cinematic cutscenes and an engaging story​
    - Ability to make major choices which will influence which path the story will take (4 endings planned)​
    - Big, expansive open world. Ability to travel anywhere, anytime.​
    - Many sidequests, be it part of the main story, or an entirely different story path​
    [​IMG]
    To be added, and sorted out :\​
     ​
     ​
    Author's Note:​
    This has been a project that I've revised, revamped and changed for countless times before I finally settled and fleshed it out :) I've made small games with RMVX here and there previously, but most of them never got released because I felt that they were too unpolished or dissatisfactory. This might be a really ambitious project, starting new but it would make me really satisfied if I were to pull it off :)
     ​
    Support this project? :)
     ​
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  2. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    Yay this topic got approved! I'm going to reserve this post for updates and what not.

I made a quick little video showing off an underwater zone in the introduction of the game: 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    Update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Some previews of the new train station area, as well as the second part of the introduction.

4. VoxPopuli

VoxPopuli WatchFire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Your mapping and lighting is quite nice, like it. Also impressed by the atmospheric underwater sequence video with the "medusozoans" flitting about. A minor thing that I noticed is that when the character teleports the screen goes bright white which kind of disrupts the mood of the dark blue somber underwater sequence -- perhaps a transition flash of a darker color [?] Nice work!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  5. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I really like what you're doing with this. The maps look great and the features you've listed are quite exciting. Good luck!

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you both for your kind words! :) I'll try to make the teleport fade to black, @ VoxPopuli.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some progress screenshots of the train scene, where a gigantic bird attacks the train. Also included a short battle tutorial on how to attack your own party members by inverting the scope. :)

7. Allusion

Allusion ♕ The Girl Who Lived (for chocolate) ♛ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This game looks magnificent! The mapping is beautiful, and I adore the subtle details you've put into everything. The story is highly intriguing, and that under water map...*sighs dreamily* you map exactly the way I wish I could! So, utterly lovely~! <3 

I will certainly bee waiting for a demo! There is so much heart here~ Thank you for sharing, and I'm very happy you've been able to rope this in. It would have been a waste to let it sit on a shelf!  :wub:

8. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I clicked your link from my thread, the game looks nice! Good mapping!

9. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks all of the kind comments, it makes me more motivated to continue working! 

I always feel the need to post some sort of update whenever I reply to comments so:

Here you go, a new battle tutorial video thing. :)

10. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    I haven't really had time to work on the solid content on this game, so I decided to draw some of my character portraits.

[​IMG]

Vulkar Magnussen, the game's protagonist. He's a stoic, well reserved mage that specializes in elemental magic. I want to draw more expressions for him, but for now I'll focus on getting the other characters done. :)

Edit: Since I'm custom drawing my character's portraits, I really need the sprites to match up with it, and I'm really bad at pixel art. If someone would be kind enough to assist me with the spriting, that'd be great! :) PM is open for details.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  11. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    Update:

[​IMG]

I have drawn 5 / 11 of all the major characters (major characters including villains). Not much has been updated to the game really, but I have finalized the starting skills of the main characters :)

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    Update:

[​IMG]

I tweaked the menu script and used Galv's portrait menu to have a chance to show off my character portraits :) It still looks rough around the edges but it'll get polished sooner or later.

As a minor note, I've updated all of the character portraits in the thread, and I've drawn some new major characters to do with the story:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Earthtian

Earthtian how can you prove you exist...? Maybe we don't exi Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This game looks AMAZING! already got me hooked :D keep going with this, a very big inspiration for people making games!

14. Sanguine

Sanguine Hoot Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks Earthtian, really appreciate it!

Update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worked on a new autumn forest map, plus a graphical redesign of the battle system.

[​IMG]

This is the new system I'll be using for unlocking skills and stats in the game. Basically, you access a sphere-grid-esque map via a button in the menu, and you unlock skills and stats by spending Eyrie Dust or Eyrie Powder. There are still kinks in the system that I need to work out, but other than that, the video shows off the basic system. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
    hiromu656 likes this.