Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, RMW!

As game makers, I’m sure a lot of us can relate to sometimes sitting in our chairs a little too much and maybe eating a few too many snacks as we RM.  Don’t giggle at it but I honestly think improving our habits will improve our games.

I had the idea to make this thread as a place for those who are looking for a little support in bettering their routine. I’ve had a lot of people on here reach out to me and I’ve reached out to many as well. I know how time consuming it can be and the challenges it presents, but one thing that has always helped me is being surrounded by others who have done it or are going through it with me.

We can talk about how to get started, what our progress is, what issues we’re having trouble overcoming, healthy recipes and snacks, easy exercises, and more!

I wish you all good happiness and health!

Disclaimer:  Most of the people in here are probably not doctors. If you are experiencing a medical problem, make sure you are following the advice of your doctor and not internet people.

If you would like to discuss health and fitness research, please try to provide sourced information from a reputable outlet. There are absolute heaps of misinformation, gross simplifications, and pseudoscience. Some of the information out there is dead wrong and some is plain old dangerous.

Also, personal health and fitness can be a sensitive subject, so be kind and respectful! 

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
recently I don't slept to much and don't mades a lots of exercise...just tried to redoo velo and some pump and crawls....yup this was kinda shameful...I have to rebegin to have a healty life haha

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is such a great idea! I would love to share health and fitness tips I've learned over the years.

I'll put myself out on a limb here and share a little of my story. I've struggled with my weight most of my life - my parents had horrible eating habits and passed them on and the weight quickly packed on as a young child. As a teen, it was a real struggle knowing I needed to do something different, but not sure the best way to go about it and not having family support. In college, I ate the best I could and between that and the miles I spent walking all over campus, a lot of the weight came off. Unfortunately, after getting married and having 2 kids, a lot came back on.

After my youngest daughter was born (my heaviest weight ever), I knew something needed to change. I felt miserable and had no energy and honestly think I was very close to being diabetic. Over the last 6 years, I've dropped 50 lbs and have learned so much about healthy eating and the benefits of different types of exercises. I still have a bit to go to get where I really want to be, but my mindset has changed just from getting to a certain number, to living an overall healthier lifestyle, as well as teaching my children better than what I learned as a child.

Anyway, that's a bit about me and my experience. I am always looking for healthy recipes or figuring out how to adapt things to be better for you, so if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them as I can, as I know Ms Littlefish will also!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok, seriously, I have to say, Zombies, Run! Best running app ever, great for getting into exercising because it has a game and a story that you really get into. I've recently gotten into exercising and getting fit (Mostly becase I want to be able to enjoy my trip to Italy). Zombies, Run! is offically the best thing ever!

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Drink PLENTY of water.  NOT LIQUIDS!   Water.

This is not a luxury, people. We're made of at least 80% of the stuff. I myself drink at least a gallon of water a day, and that's when I'm NOT working out.

Now, I'm a huge lummox, so this is normal for me.  For a petite 100 LB woman, obviously this would be WAY too much. The "recommended" is 6-8 (or is it 8-10?) 8 oz glasses of water a day.

This, and get plenty of proper rest EVERY NIGHT. (Helps promote (better) weight loss)

Also, eat more whole foods, less processed junk...  Of course, easier said than done... we've got mostly processed stuff in my house...

That's all I got :D

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
MEG IS AWESOME!!! OWWWWWO !!!! LOL... Imma' camp out here for sure xD .

Anyway...regarding my status, I probably just pulled my Abductor Longus.

PS: Am learning muscular anatomy :D .

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, the recommended amount (at least during weight loss) is half your body weight in ounces of water. However, for some very large people, this might be too much, so I'd aim for a gallon, if your weight determines much more than that.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Iin terms of weight loss and fitness, Ii started out at 136.6kg in April. I'm down to nearly 128kg today. I haven't really changed my food, just decreased the amounts and started to exercise like mad. It still shocks me that I'm actually starting to look forward to my exercise, Zombies, Run! has really helped with that because I'm always looking forward to the next part of the story.

One thing I can say for health, fitness and weightloss is this. Have Goals! Seriously, you need them, because if you don't give yourself a deadline you'll give up. For me it's my brothers wedding (where I need to fit into the best womens dess), my trip to Italy with my now betrothed (where I want to be fit enough to climb a mountain), and now my huge Goal, which will be my own wedding next year.

Another thing is to be honest with yourself. write down everything you eat. Hold yourself accountable, but don't give up just because you have one, or two, or twelve bad days in a row, it happens, move on and keep trying.

Ooddly enough, I think people who game a lot, or read or write actually tend to give up pretty easily when it comes to fitness and wellbeing, we're not naturally active people and it shows. You need to find something to motivate you.

Wow, sorry for the wall of text, I'm just getting really passionate about this sort of thing recently. lol

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Paladin-Cleric I'm not much of a runner, more of a cycle person, but that app would probably even get me to try some running! That sounds fantastic. Never heard of that before. I'm pretty passionate about this too, so I'm glad others are. You're making amazing progress.

@mlogan  I also learned terrible habits from my parents. And while my parents would send us outdoors a lot; they served us very rich meals, didn't say no to any of our desires to snack, and gave us nightly desserts on top.  As a young adult I found myself having never been taught very basic things about having a healthy lifestyle. Once I was confronted by how logical it was; I couldn't ignore it anymore. Of course, it's still harder than that. 

@Deathswallow Glad to have you over here. I hope that injury heals quickly and that you're back on track soon.

@Iron Croc The 8-10 glasses water recommendation is pretty bogus actually, or at least vague. The food you eat contributes to net water gain. And tea and coffee, despite having a diuretic effect, still have a net water gain. The problem with a lot of people's drinks is the sugar they add to them. Of course, if one is legitimately thirsty, drink some damn water! Especially first thing in the morning.

My story? I'm very frank and honest about it.

I've lost 150lbs, and I'm still working on the 30lbs that I am still overweight, if you want to wrap your head around that. I was 19 and diagnosed with sleep apnea and GERD when I decided to lose weight. My family had a history of just about every preventable disease and I know they'd be coming. 

The story is life long and very complex. I've had to overcome feelings of food addiction and learning what hunger is. 

Learning to cook and going outside has been one of the greatest joys in my life. I don't know what my life would be like today had I not changed.

To me health has been all about balance and moderation. It doesn't matter how much healthy food you eat, if still eat too much of it. True, whole foods make us feel better and are better. But they have to fit into a regime that fits your personal energy needs. If you can fit an ice cream in on a hot afternoon, you won't magically gain weight unless you exceed your energy needs. Some people get spooked out by calorie counting but it really helps to write down what you eat using something like MyFitnessPal. It's not like you have to count every piece of broccoli on your plate, but it's lot easier to be honest with yourself if you have a decent approximation. Also, if you have a day where you straight up pig out; it's going to be OK. I promise! 

Last edited by a moderator:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for myself I recomend to at least if you don't have time to go doing exercise outside ...move a lots in the house because staying on a chairs all the days is not the best ideai it's best for your healt to at least move around and ....I think doing movement help for concentrate ;)

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ahhh I understand, Meg.

I'm sure I lose a lot more water than most... :B

Whoa. 150 lbs. That's awesome!!! That's pretty much my goal too. :) I'm almost halfway there. ^__^

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a really good point, Nio. 

In fact, while gym memberships are certainly helpful for many, I do a fair amount of my exercise either outdoors or right in my bedroom. Tons of floor exercises and bodyweight exercises such as tricep dips, sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges and more can be done using one's own body weight. We can provide our own resistance. There are tons of calisthenics such as jumping jacks, burpees, and plain old running in place one can do. Psst, I'm bolding these words because I want interested parties to go Google them.

@Croc Well 150lbs so far. Once I'm done I'll probably have lost 180lbs-190lbs. I'm supposed to be very, very small. I'm only 5'3." On a good day! And I know you've been working hard toward your goal. Hopefully we can all help each other out.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a really good point, Nio. 

In fact, while gym memberships are certainly helpful for many, I do a fair amount of my exercise either outdoors or right in my bedroom. Tons of floor exercises and bodyweight exercises such as tricep dips, sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges and more can be done using one's own body weight. We can provide our own resistance. There are tons of calisthenics such as jumping jacks, burpees, and plain old running in place one can do. Psst, I'm bolding these words because I want interested parties to go Google them.
haha I should do more of them ! 

me I do a lots of pencil exercise! my finger are super muscles! 

Wat....doing pencil is not a exercise ?

♥SOURCE♥

Too sexy for your party.
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
you know without muscle it's almost imposible to doing movement with the finger >_> ?

so well they have muscle in the finger XD
The muscles doesn't have to be in the finger... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree that improving your health through exercise can also improve other areas in your life like game making or even depression.

I'm a healthy person overall even though I don't trust/rely much in the pharmaceutical industry (the more you are sick the more they profit, you know?). But that aside, I believe every person should stick to a daily work-out routine, even if an hour long.
My biggest obstacle now is... well... laziness... but every now and then I do some morning Yoga, walking to work place (just a month ago I was doing around 8 kilometers a day) and pulling some weights. I also take a nap if I can and do some breathing exercises along the way but too boring stuff kills it for me :(

Drinking tons of water is essential too (fluoride free, please).

And I don't think I have to mention this but your mental health has effect on your body too! Taking a time for yourself and only yourself is a good thing :) Disconnect from the virtual world and real life problems for a while and talk/listen a bit to yourself.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nio, he means the muscles in our hands control the fingers by tendons/ligaments, much like pulling on puppet strings.
OH now I understand ._. this was not really clear for me in begin I was like : wtf ....how they even move D: !?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making test maps is really illuminating when it comes to figuring out how the real maps should be. It's like the outline that one writes for the story before writing the actual story.
I am adamant about not having missable quests, which means having to write entirely new scenes at each plot progression that takes into account that time and events have passed since the quest could first be accepted while still having there be a quest to solve in the first place. It's worth every second.
Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlitzAttacker