RMXP Chrono Trigger Is it possible? Help!!!

SrPoeMaker

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMXP
❤️
❤️
❤️
CHRONO TRIGGER
❤️
❤️
❤️

I tried this jewel, for me the biggest in the crown, if not the crown itself when it comes to RPG video games, when I was about 5 years old.
I played it 30 minutes and lost it, because I was playing it on an Xbox emulator that had multiple Snes games.
But they were enough for me to never forget it.
Years later I was able to play the DS remake, and then I played the original on a Snes emulator, and to this day I am playing it again on PC.
What I always loved about this game was its BATTLE SYSTEM:
  1. The System is Rpg in turns but in continuous time, you can stay stopped and the enemies will attack you.
  2. It is positional, that is, your attacks will have an effect according to the position of your PC, such as Chrono spinning with his katana, or attacking in a straight line.
  3. The battlefield is the same map you move on, so there are no randomized combats, at all times you can see your enemies and when you have contact with them the fight will begin, except in cases where some enemies are hidden and mugged.
  4. As the battlefield is the same map you play on, THERE ARE NO TRANCISIONS, like a clasical Final Fantasy or Pokémon Game where the screen goes dark and you switch to the battle screen; saving the player a lot of time and keeping it in a constant rhythm.
  5. The attacks of the characters are combinable, both of your team and those of the enemies, the latter forcing you to think which enemy you eliminate first so that he cannot throw you at his partner as a projectile or wait for the lesser enemies to be accommodate to execute them of a technique.

Chrono Trigger Battle Tutorial

Chrono Trigger Gameplay

Finally in Chrono Cross (the sequel), the transitions came back, and it changed the whole game but they added an interesting component, the Weak Strike, Medium Strike and Heavy Strike from a classic fighting game, they moved it to the RPG, giving the opportunity to do combos according to your strategy in battle.
It would also be interesting to add weapons that break, or the use of ammunition such as arrows
The question is, can a Chrono Trigger Battle System be achieved in RPG Maker XP? With the additions that I mention
I have repatted several forums in both Spanish and English and I have not found any Script with that Battle System.
I have seen the Script of Weapons that break, that of ammunition, but not the battle system on the map.
To what I found were several real-time combat systems but always side battle
Even though! There is a Script called Vision Sensor that causes an event to be activated according to the player entering the sensor zone, which may well be contact with an enemy, or an enemy seeing you and heading towards you as in Pokémon.

Nor have I found a script that does weak, medium and strong hit. Is it difficult to learn RGSS2? I deviate, what I'm really looking for and I have hopes, not that it exists, but that it can develop is:
Is there a script in RPG Maker XP that uses the map as a battlefield?
Is there a way to recreate Chrono Trigger's combat system in RMXP or is it Impossible due to its programming language
Finally, I know that this is possible in RPG Maker MV, that there is a whole Engine that Moghunter made:

Otherwise I guess I'll have to move to RPG Maker MV (?) :LZSteary::LZSteary::LZSteary:

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have linked the closest thing to it ! I have looked many times myself, and yes i have found one or two, which strange names to them, but they are no longer supported. Mog hunters as linked above is the closest i've seen. the issue trying this system for me was having SV_battlers on screen. i ran out of art simply put. every enemy was a breathing image.

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I do remember helping someone in the past with script compatibility for a Chrono-Trigger-like battle system in XP. Of course google searches get me nowhere, but I do know it existed at some point. I did happen to see one for VXA though.

So, in essence, yes it is possible to make it. But it does require a healthy knowledge of RGSS1 (RGSS2 refers to VX), which, for an engine that is 15 years old, you'll have limited resources. If you're not already well-versed with another programming language, I wouldn't recommend you learn it.

SrPoeMaker

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMXP
So if my team and I wanted the Chrono Trigger combat system, should we use RMVXA or RMMV? In which one is it easier to transcribe RMXP scripts? Because we need (and we want) Vision Sensor Script and Breakable Weapons Script.

Last edited:

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
VX ACE for example uses Ruby scripting and MV uses Java.XP uses Ruby also. so if you want to use scripts and convert or whatever then i surgest VX or VXACE.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
So if my team and I wanted the Chrono Trigger combat system, should we use RMVXA or RMMV? In which one is it easier to transcribe RMXP scripts? Because we need (and we want) Vision Sensor Script and Breakable Weapons Script.
if you want to transcribe XP Scripts... it's Better use RMVXA since they use the same language (Ruby). RMMV use javascript... it will be a little harder to convert XP scripts to MV (not impossible... but harder since you need to know both language syntax. I myself convert some of my RMVXA ruby script to RMMZ javascript plugin... so it's doable but require more effort)

but you also have option to search for similar plugin in MV...
I think Vision Sensor plugin exist in MV...
Breakable Weapon Plugin (Item Durability Plugin) also exist in MV...

one more factor you might want to consider... if you decide using RMVXA... i'm afraid older engine might have less script maker active... lots of them already move on to the new engine... so it will be harder for you to ask for support... for example if you're using script by author A... then encounter incompatibility or bugs... you might not be able to convince A to revisit the old script and fix it... even paid commission for script might have less script maker that could work on that request.

MV is also not the newest engine... but since MZ just released and they both use same language... the plugin support might still strong... at least for two or three years...

beside... the feature you want (Chrono Trigger Battle System) already made by moghunter (most of it)... so working on your project might be easier than having it in RMVXA...

but in the end it's up to you and your team decision... :D.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In which one is it easier to transcribe RMXP scripts?
another question would be "should you transcribe the scripts at all"?
Sometimes it is easier to reprogram an effect that to transcribe an old script that does the same effect.

One problem that many new developer here have never heard of (or forgotten) is that RMXP was the first maker that even allowed scripting, and from what I heard about it the RMXP script organisation was worse than anything that came later as the programmer learned from his mistakes with RMXP.

And especially Ace made an extreme update to the database organisation - a much needed and greatly hailed improvement, but it does mean that things work entirely different.

So it might be easier to program the effects from scratch than to transscribe a script from RMXP to RMVXA. And if you do that (especially if you have no experience with Ruby), then it might be better for you to go RMMV/RMMZ, especially as they might have similar plugins already.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Greeting to y'all

I do remember seeing that type of script long ago, but i don't remember where. This was perfect and it got me exited cause i hate RMMV/RMMZ's chibi characters. And when i tried to make mines, well...

It's a shame it's so hard, but i hope at least a memory juggle of someone like this existing in the past.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made a Mapping Tutorial on Adding Lighting/Shadows using Tileset

Currently working on a playlist of songs that have inspired my work on revamping Battle Castle, and making sure they flow decently from one to the next. I will be posting it whenever I upload my next demo.
This is the first song in the playlist.
Artists out there, is there something RPG maker related you wish your graphics software had but doesn't? (Something like automatically transform a wall tile into a cylindrical tower). I want to give a boost to WecTools, but I'm dry of ideas right now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Book