[RMXP] Doing a SkillTree system and having an issue with Sprites...

cockroach

An RPG Jack-of-all-trades
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm basically doing this Skill Tree system, which permits actors to learn their skills from multiple skill trees and level them up, and whatnot. But I'm not so experienced in the fields of scripting and having some trouble with Sprites.

screenshot.jpg

Here's a screenshot of how it looks. The core mechanics of the skill tree drawing and operation is almost done. The only thing I'm really unsure is how will I draw the arrows that show skill requirements. The arrows tend to vary in angle and size, and they must look good, or be able to look good with some custom sprites.

a_body.png a_header.png a_tail.png

I've done those 16x16 "tiles" of arrows, so they can be combined (and customized later) to form arrows of any size and... rotated... to any direction. But I wonder how the Sprite rotation works and how will that look...

screenshot2.png

For the moment I made this placeholder draw_arrow method, but right now it only does crazy stuff (already showing some of the intended logic, but since I don't know what is best, I don't know if I should keep on with the method)... Just un-comment the test lines and you'll see.

Is there a good way to make those multi-directional, multi-length arrows?

Skill Tree Demo.zip

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Funplayer

Self proclaimed sponge.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
More likely than not, this seems like a hard-code fix, but there are ways you could work around it.  Would it be worth the time?  Maybe, maybe not.  Hard to say.

You could just draw mathematical lines, with elbows for directions, using a function to determine the positions of which skills are required.

You can then begin to design arrows that fit the same functionality, with a more practical time-slot once you complete a line.

Would either take a long time, or a short time, depending how much work needs to be done, and how well you can maths.

Good luck.

cockroach

An RPG Jack-of-all-trades
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about drawing manually with maths and stuff the arrows, but that would look kinda rough and wouldn't allow an easy customization. So I went for the rotated sprites.

This system is done, actually. I'm posting the updated demo while I prepare it to be posted in the script section.

skilltree.jpg

There are some seams visible at the arrows, but the result looks ok to me :p ... and removing the opacity and with a different sprite, it would overlay the tiles one on top of another and the seams wouldn't appear as those.

Skill Tree Demo.zip

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally finished my first big game since joining the forums! Please check out Petal Knights! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/petal-knights-playable-now.117898/
Back home now :cutesmile:

Many thanks to all my fellow game devs. for all the support during this crazy time.

Feeling a bit rough but much better then bein' hospitalized at least.

Now time to get back to the code :D
Added skill ranges, and very basic implementation of scope, with a rule called "empty tile" that simply returns true if the selected tile is empty (has a battler), and false otherwise

This means movement range and attack ranges are all automatically implemented.

More info: https://himeworks.itch.io/grid-battle-system/devlog/167442/devlog-3-basic-skill-range
Stone masons are hard at work creating beautiful sculptures for your games...
When you realize @Kupotepo is a champion among RM Web users, and it all makes sense now:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr