[RMXP] Invisible Event

Discussion in 'RPG Maker XP' started by TheFlyingMarlin, Jun 6, 2015.

1. TheFlyingMarlin

TheFlyingMarlin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm starting a horror game in RMXP that involves a monster that chases the player between maps, much like Ao Oni. I have set up a series of events where the monster (currently represented by a placeholder known as "Shadowman") encounters the player in a room and proceeds to chase him into the main hallway. However, for some reason, the monster is invisible when it goes into the hallway. Attached are screenshots of the relevant events. 

This common event records the player's coordinates, pretty straightforward. PlayerCoordinates.PNG

This common event acts as a buffer between when the player exits a door and when the monster is commanded to exit the door (for some odd reason, RMXP didn't pay attention to the "wait" command)  Exit Door Common Event.PNG

This is an invisible off-screen event that tells the monster to exit the door  ShadowManTransfer.PNG

This is the monster, which is off-screen until the above event is triggered. ShadowMan.PNG

This is the event that transfers the player from the hotel room where the monster is first encountered into the hallway. Transfer Event.PNG

Seriel likes this.
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A picture of your map(s) would be helpful.

Do you realize that an event cannot be moved to another map? If your player can go to 5 maps and you want the event to chase on all 5, you have to put an event on all 5 maps to represent the monster.

Seriel likes this.
  3. TheFlyingMarlin

First Language:
    English
    This is the map of the hotel room (the event between the doorway and the monster is a placeholder to turn on the "Chase" switch): HotelRoomMap.PNG

Here is the main hallway (above the fifth door is the monster event, which gets sent to the door via "Set Event Location" 20 frames after the player exits it): MainHotel.PNG

The monster event is present in both the hotel room and the hallway. I used switches (ExitDoor and SetPosition) to carry the monster over from the room to the hallway. When I exit the hotel room while the monster is chasing me, I get chased down by an invisible monster. After a few seconds, I get the "Game Over" screen.

Seriel likes this.
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Show us the event that makes the monster on that map where it happens, and make it screenshots of all pages (you gave only one page above, we need to see the second event page as well)

Seriel likes this.
  5. AngelicFox

AngelicFox :3 Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Also waiting for 20 frames is 1/3 of a second.

It waits, but waiting is so short that you can't see it acctually wait.

EDIT: Maybe you can set up something that will change ShadowMan's sprite after transfer. (i don't know if thats possible. im away from my computer with RMXP)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
    Seriel likes this.
  6. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I think in XP, it's 1/2 a second.. I could be wrong though...

7. TheFlyingMarlin

First Language:
    English
    The second page on the monster event was blank. I deleted it, but nothing changed. 

If you're talking about the event that sends the monster to chase after the player in the hallway, it's the third one.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    even then you still haven't showed us all pages, because the monster needs to be a different event (one per map) because the events can't be transferred between maps.

And if you deleted a page on one or both of those monster events, you better show us the current status of all pages of all events for that monster.

And by that I mean the event that is to display, NOT the controlling events.

9. TheFlyingMarlin

First Language:
    English
    The monster event in the room is identical to the monster event in the hallway. The page shown above is the only page in both events. Like I said before, I used switches to "transfer" the monster between maps.

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it were identical, the event would behave identical. If the event is visible in one room and invisible in another, then there IS a difference.

And if I got even one cent for everytime here on the board where someone insisted "no there is no other autorun" or "no, everything is as it should be" or so, only to find out that it wasn't as he remembered...

Please show us both event pages so that we can compare them, and then decide where to look next for the bug.

Oh, and it's almost impossible to make two events identical - I think I know where the problem is, and I need to see both event pages to confirm that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  11. TheFlyingMarlin

First Language:
    English
    Here is the event in the hallway (the one that is invisible) ShadowManHallway.PNG

Here is the event in the room (the one that work)  ShadowManHotelRoom.PNG

EDIT: The move route for both is "Move toward player", with the "Repeat Action" option ticked.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep, I was correct - look at the top title line.

One event has the ID 2 on its map, the other has the ID 12 on its map.

However, the set event location command works ID-based, even if the command displays the name instead of the ID.

Which means that if your common event is set to move the event with ID 2, it will move the event with ID 2 on both maps. But on the map where the monster is invisible, it has ID 12 and is thereby still on its original position while the event with the ID 2 (which most probably has no sprite) is used to chase the player...

13. TheFlyingMarlin

First Language:
    English
    The event that sets the monster's location is not a common event, but a "normal" event, so it doesn't affect EV002, which is a door. 

Here's a GIF of me playtesting this part of the game:  Chase.gif

14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In the shadowman event, replace the control switch for gameover with a show text "I catched you".

You need to find out if the game over is because an invisible event catched you, or because something else triggered the switch

15. TheFlyingMarlin

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the tip! Turns out I had a common event that I forgot to delete that caused the game to end if the monster's coordinates equaled the player's coordinates. It's working perfectly now.

Seriel likes this.