[RMXP] Making a picture looping with any sizes

Andrea87Sky

Just a random musician, eventer and spriter.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I tried to search on google a script or method for looping a picture, but I only saw some posts saying non-XP methods, and also they seems are really limited, like, I saw that the picture must be the size of a map/screen for looping, but instead I want to loop it in any size, an example is Minecraft's menu, where there's the dirt block texture as some menus bg, and it's not an image that is the size of the screen, instead it's like a 20x20 image looping itself for making a looped bg.
Here's what I'm talking about:

As I said earlier, there's only a 20x20 graphic looping itself (with no scrolling animations, but I'd like to know how to do them too)

Now, it is possible to do this effect on RPG Maker XP?

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Bump, I'm still searching for a method.

MobiusXVI

Game Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What do you want the looped pictures for? This can almost certainly be done via scripting but the issue will be how to integrate it with whatever it is you're trying to do.

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
What do you want the looped pictures for? This can almost certainly be done via scripting but the issue will be how to integrate it with whatever it is you're trying to do.
Menus made by common events. It would be great also if it can scroll, I've seen a lot of menu scripts that does that, but also if it's fixed (like minecraft's), it's fine.

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Just sounds like you want more controls for adding additional Plane instances.

Just make whatever texture you want, add it to your Fogs folder, and this script call (replacing the name obviously)
Code:
n = 'my_background_texture'
add_fog(0, n, 0, 4, 4, 255, 1.0, 
0, 0)
An easy scrolling, looping background graphic.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Plane is your friend.

Do note that a viewport is required to change the size of a plane, otherwise it fill the full screen. This can sometimes make choosing the right z-level among other sprites be a bit tricky.

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Plane is your friend.

Do note that a viewport is required to change the size of a plane, otherwise it fill the full screen. This can sometimes make choosing the right z-level among other sprites be a bit tricky.

Thank you so much, this is actually what I was looking for!

Just sounds like you want more controls for adding additional Plane instances.

Just make whatever texture you want, add it to your Fogs folder, and this script call (replacing the name obviously)
Code:
n = 'my_background_texture'
add_fog(0, n, 0, 4, 4, 255, 1.0,
0, 0)
An easy scrolling, looping background graphic.

I actually use already that script, but I prefer it not being an actual fog. Why? Because for some reason that script when scrolling the fogs it's a little glitched when using a pixel movement script, or anything that has diagonal movement. For some reason when I walk diagonally the fogs starts changing direction or/and speed. So I prefer not using that for now, also, I'd prefer using the pictures folder because I use it on basically any graphic that isn't a character or a tileset, just for better organization.

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Understandable, but I was under the impression that you were making a menu entirely by eventing. Why would you have a character walking around causing the screen to scroll on a menu system? Also, how exactly are you going to be using Plane objects (as Zeriab suggested) when the only viable option to use them is to script your menu?

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Understandable, but I was under the impression that you were making a menu entirely by eventing. Why would you have a character walking around causing the screen to scroll on a menu system? Also, how exactly are you going to be using Plane objects (as Zeriab suggested) when the only viable option to use them is to script your menu?
Correct. I'm doing it by events, and yeah I kinda see your point because after all the player don't need to move, but I want to use Plane anyway. Another problem I forgot to mention about that script is that sometimes when I use multiple fogs, some of them don't appear. So I'm scared to f*ck up everything in maps where I use already that script for creating fogs. And no, it's not a problem because I've set the same fog ID or the same Z, trust me, I tried every method possible to prevent that but it still happens. I have no idea why. So yeah, it's probably better if I use Plane.

Also, what do you mean by the last phrase? I used script calls for using the Plane objects, and for moving them I simply use a parallel process that adds plus one to the x or/and y coords, with no waits. And no, if you wonder, it doesn't create any lag at all.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Where is the "world-weary sigh" comment response when you need it? I need that one more than anything, but the closest we have is "wow" or "angry".
My apologies if it's out-of-place for my goyim-lookin' ass to be the one to say it, but the mythology of "Golems" is that they were created by Rabbis to protect Jewish villages from Anti-semetic attacks.
I'm moving on from RMXP finally. I've been stuck in a difficult decision between XP and MZ, and I've given up and moved on to MZ. Overall I'm really liking it, I wish tilesets were easier to setup like XP, but it's actually not that bad!
Have you ever gone full 'Ship of Theseus' while frankenspriting? Because I just did.
I saw my new eye doctor today, he reminds me of Satoru Iwata for some reason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sianar