[RMXP] Romancing SaGa Battle System

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by muramasa, May 9, 2013.

1. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Romancing SaGa Battle System
    Author: Orochii Zouveleki
    Version 1.12, for RGSS1 (tested with RGSS102E.dll)

INTRODUCTION
    For anyone that knows and already played the game, blessed you are (and I'm then BD ). For those that haven't, go to Youtube, it's better than my explanations x'D.

USAGE
    Credit is appreciated. Free for use, even if commercial C:.

VIDEO

INSTRUCTIONS
    Please see the scripts and their configurations. There's a lot to read...

SCRIPT
    Inside the demo.

DEMO
    RS Battle System_112.rar

FAQ
    P: What kind of animations does it have?
    R: The script manages animations with the help of Minkoff's Animated Battlers script (maintained by Dervvulfman now).
    Now, this is an example of how Minkoff's default spritesheets look like.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for reading, salut,
    Orochii Zouveleki

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. elliott20

elliott20 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    This is the first time I've seen anyone else in the RMXP community who actually knows of the Romancing Saga series. (There are a couple others on the GameFAQs boards too but I'm not sure how deep they are into the RMXP thing) I have to say, I am very impressed.

I am actually in the midst of putting together my own system for my remake of RS2 myself, and when I found your script I just had to see it. I now feel really, really noob at scripting. Yours looks great!

One question though, does your script handle formation based targeting? i.e. one skill can hit everything in a row, one skill can hit everything in a column, one skill can do splash damage, etc. I wasn't able to parse through all of the scripts yet and I just wanted to ask first.

3. muramasa

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hello, sorry for not responding for like half a month. Thanks for your interest in the system :p . Regarding the targeting, haven't done it, but have it planned already. You know, that kind of targeting is very common in the three RomaSaGas xD, so it would be a failure to not include it I think. There are some other features to add too, like RomaSaGa3 formation skills, and some other special non-RomaSaGa things that I want to add. So, hopefully in a very near future, there will be a new release.

Also let me know if you make the RS2 remake. I would REALLY LOVE to play something like that!

Salut,

Orochii Zouveleki

4. elliott20

elliott20 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, I've more or less figured out how to do the alternate range stuff in practice, but I can't get the cursor to display correctly. The other stuff is easy though.

Basically, in battle_scene_4 there's an area that does targeting, and you'll notice that all targeting is done through arrays. All attacks/heals just fill the array with the entire party, so what to take the attack all scripts, and within the loop that checks to see if the monster exists, add in an additional check to make sure the conditions match.

For vertical, the condition would be enemy.base_position_x == target.base_position_x

For horitzontal, replace base_position_x with base_position_y

For splash, you'll need to do distance calculation. I did this by using some basic quardratic calculations.

But it's basically a variant of Math.sqrt((x1-x2)^2.abs+(y1-y2)^2.abs) < splash range. The ".abs" part gets kind of tricky though, since for some reason, the RMXP engine does the math wrong if the x1-x2 value comes out negative, it will square it without making it positive, AND the ".abs" doesn't work after the power for some reason, so it won't make it into an absolute value. I had to do it the super ugly way of doing (x1-x2)(x1-x2) to get it to stick right. I'm not sure if this is a quirk of the language or what but it screws up the order of operation something fierce.

5. elliott20

elliott20 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    on a side note, my thing is currently focused on system first. I got a some of the more basic functionality in place, but I still need to get the background calculations and algorithms in place before I'm anywhere near ready to start dropping content. Plus, I still got to figure out an efficient way to get the animation implemented. right now I'm using the Emu Sideview Battle System, which I haven't been able to really parse out the code in yet. I know the basic animation flow for all of the movements, and it basically just tells you to make all the animation into strips on the sprite sheet. While I'm OKAY with it, it is prohibitively resource intense to have to create a new sheet for it every single time, so I'm wondering if there is a way I can hack the animation engine so that it will instead just create the film strip on the fly so I can just import a single spirte sheet with no redundancies to get it working.

6. muramasa

First Language:
    Spanish
    For the last part, one can use the Math.hypot(x1-x2, y1-y2) it's the same thing but... it's clearer I think.

But yeah, I see your point. Thanks.

I'm pretty much eager to start coding today >=D,

Orochii Zouveleki

7. elliott20

elliott20 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I just tried it an... holy sheep, it works SOO much better. I can't believe I didn't think of using that. Thanks!

8. tanglong

tanglong Ron Member

First Language:
    VietNam
    Mabe, I will Try

Free,even if commercial , thát's Great :guffaw:

muramasa likes this.
  9. muramasa

First Language:
    Spanish
    ;) .

Also remember, a distributed script like this is just a basis, care to expand it, if you want of course.

Salut,

Orochii Zouveleki

10. Greensburg

Greensburg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Can't believe you got so little feedback on this. You've got almost the entire game system sorted out!

I haven't played RS, but I did play Saga Frontier 2. And you got the spikes and everything in, amazing! I'll be sure to play whatever comes out of this =).

11. Emperor DragonBreath

Emperor DragonBreath Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Do you have any plans on remaking this script into an MV plugin?

12. muramasa

First Language:
    Spanish
    Not really. I barely use RPG Maker MV. Sorry.