[RMXP] Script that allows you to load fonts as spritesheets like in GameMaker Studio?

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
It's possible to make a script that allows you to load fonts as spritesheets like in GameMaker Studio?

I just hate how RPG Maker XP makes the fonts blurry and sometimes it cuts some letter because they are too big.

GameMaker Studio makes automatic font spritesheets when you import it, so i was wondering if it's possible to make the exact same spritesheet compatible with RPG Maker XP, so I'll also just convert the fonts in spritesheet from GameMaker Studio without doing so much work.

Please, I need this script urgently. Also, I forgot to say this: I want it to be compatible with UMS, gerkrt/gerrtunk's picture text command script and (maybe) MACL. Sorry if I ask too much, but I use those scripts so if it won't compatible with them, then it will be useless.

Last edited:

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, didn't noticed.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Blur is an artifact of resizing, and it usually exists anytime things are made bigger as the screen has to guess what the missing pixels are. About the only way to reduce it (not eliminate it, elimination is impossible unless the game is made for exactly that size screen) is the following:

1: Make your game resolution an integer multiple of the screen resolution. That will fix it for anyone with the same screen resolution as you have, but anyone using others will hit the same problem.

2: Force the screen to change to match your resolution. That's what AAA games do to reduce it. That will probably require some system code to fix it though, as you'll need a way to call Windows to force it to run at the same resolution as your game. Though if you use 640 x 480 you can force it to run at that resolution via the administrator settings on your PC.

Either way, it will only reduce it. The only fool proof solution is to make a version for every resolution you want the game to run on.

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Blur is an artifact of resizing, and it usually exists anytime things are made bigger as the screen has to guess what the missing pixels are. About the only way to reduce it (not eliminate it, elimination is impossible unless the game is made for exactly that size screen) is the following:

1: Make your game resolution an integer multiple of the screen resolution. That will fix it for anyone with the same screen resolution as you have, but anyone using others will hit the same problem.

2: Force the screen to change to match your resolution. That's what AAA games do to reduce it. That will probably require some system code to fix it though, as you'll need a way to call Windows to force it to run at the same resolution as your game. Though if you use 640 x 480 you can force it to run at that resolution via the administrator settings on your PC.

Either way, it will only reduce it. The only fool proof solution is to make a version for every resolution you want the game to run on.
Uhh i'm not so expert on these things but, thanks. Anyway what about the fonts?

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The bitmap class renders the fonts. So they're drawn in the screen which you are scaling. Essentially and simply put... You're scaling already-rendered, already drawn text graphics too.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
can XP read the system resolution?
if so, there could be a way to send the render call through an intermediate step that would reverse the font size and render at correct pixel size, when at full screen.
but, I don't know about the rest of the interface.

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
The bitmap class renders the fonts. So they're drawn in the screen which you are scaling. Essentially and simply put... You're scaling already-rendered, already drawn text graphics too.
So there's not a solution?

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
can XP read the system resolution?
if so, there could be a way to send the render call through an intermediate step that would reverse the font size and render at correct pixel size, when at full screen.
but, I don't know about the rest of the interface.
It can if I'm not wrong, but I'm not so good on these kind of things, heh.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[dpost]Andre87Sky[/dpost]
If you want to quote more than one person please use the Multiquote button otherwise the forum software automatically creates a new post for each quote.
Thanks

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
[dpost]Andre87Sky[/dpost]
If you want to quote more than one person please use the Multiquote button otherwise the forum software automatically creates a new post for each quote.
Thanks
Oh, sorry.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
NP. The forum software has some odd quirks to it which take a bit of getting used to.

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Still need to know if it's possible then to do it or it's not.

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Just as you noted in your original post, fullscreen mode resizes everything. Now you felt that the blur of the screen and the blur of the fonts are independent of each other and separate issues. But they are not. The fonts are rendered by the bitmap class, a master hidden class that most graphics utilize, Sprites import graphics from bitmaps. Windows use the bitmap erase function. Tilesets utilize other aspects. And that's just touching it.

Now I think I know what gstv87 was suggesting, to somehow have fonts re-render with a new size. But he is assuming that turning a 640x480 game screen into a fullscreen in a 1920x1024 display would make the actual window 1920x1024. But no. Your display is temporarily downgrading itself to the 640x480 scale. So his thought of redrawing it at a correct pixel size wouldn't work. The pixel size is correct for the temporary fullscreen resolution.

So in essence... nope. But the original Diablo was one kick-ass game and was at 640x480 resolution

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Just as you noted in your original post, fullscreen mode resizes everything. Now you felt that the blur of the screen and the blur of the fonts are independent of each other and separate issues. But they are not. The fonts are rendered by the bitmap class, a master hidden class that most graphics utilize, Sprites import graphics from bitmaps. Windows use the bitmap erase function. Tilesets utilize other aspects. And that's just touching it.

Now I think I know what gstv87 was suggesting, to somehow have fonts re-render with a new size. But he is assuming that turning a 640x480 game screen into a fullscreen in a 1920x1024 display would make the actual window 1920x1024. But no. Your display is temporarily downgrading itself to the 640x480 scale. So his thought of redrawing it at a correct pixel size wouldn't work. The pixel size is correct for the temporary fullscreen resolution.

So in essence... nope. But the original Diablo was one kick-ass game and was at 640x480 resolution
I actually thought about something today for fixing this problem, maybe a script that allows you to load fonts as spritesheets like in GameMaker Studio? Is that possible to make?

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Think about this, would you make a separate spritesheet for all different font sizes? It'd be easy if you only had a single font size but what if you've set 5 or even more sizes? So you'd have to either scale the spritesheet (making it look blurry) or make bigger and bigger spritesheets... :S The same would apply for bold and italic effects...

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Think about this, would you make a separate spritesheet for all different font sizes? It'd be easy if you only had a single font size but what if you've set 5 or even more sizes? So you'd have to either scale the spritesheet (making it look blurry) or make bigger and bigger spritesheets... :S The same would apply for bold and italic effects...
i'd prefer like this, yeah.

i just hate how rpg maker makes the fonts blurry and sometimes it cuts some letter because they are too big. so yeah.

game maker studio makes automatic font spritesheets when you import it, so i was wondering if it's possible to make the exact same spritesheet compatible with rpg maker xp, so i'll just convert the fonts in spritesheet from game maker studio without doing so much work.

Andrea87Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
bump

please, i need this script urgently.

also, i forgot to say this: i want it to be compatible with UMS, gerkrt/gerrtunk's picture text command script and MACL. sorry if i ask too much, but i use those scripts so if it won't compatible with them, then it will be useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:
as MZ come out what you guys think about.....Some particles engine :3c?
Who wants to sing this song with me?~

Decided to submit my games to the Monday Night Stream. Figured it might be a fun way to get some traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavaWave