[RMXP] Whenever 'set move path' is listed, giant colored box appears over event.

Lemonilla

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am currently attempting to use FEXP to create a fire emblem style game. Bare with me please, I have only had RMXP for a couple of days, but am getting pretty desperate. Whenever I attempt to make a character move (in a cut-scene) a giant tan box appears over them. I have no idea why this happens or how to fix it.

[IMG]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5738/boxvc.jpg[/IMG]

autorun event (seperate)

Autorun

Move Animation

Code:
@>Set Move Route: [General]
: $>Always on Top ON
: $>Direction Fix ON
: $>Move Animation ON
: $>Graphic: "Lieutenant-Zweiharnder_Preview', 0, 2, 1
: $>Move Up
@>Script: load_text('TestMap/C1S1L1')
@>Script: load_text('TestMap/C1S1L2')
@>Script: load_text('TestMap/C1S1L3')

@>Set Move Route: [General]
: $>Direction Fix OFF
: $>Through ON
: $>Always on Top ON
: $>Move Down
: $>Graphic: (None)
@>Transfer Player:[002: ch1m2], (010,005)
@>
General

Parallel Processes

Always on Top

Move Animation

Code:
@>
If there is anything else I can give information wise please ask.

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm assuming "Lieutenant-Zweiharnder_Preview" is the sprite it makes appear in the doorway? Does it have proper transparency? Is it the right file? Did you accidentally change the blending style?

Lemonilla

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, so I went and looked at the sprite, and it's the correct png file. How would I go about checking the transparency or the blending style? Thank you for your quick response.

(file attached, using red one)

Lieutenant-Zweihander_Preview.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Psyker

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say try with direction fix on. See if that makes any difference. I had an similar issue using VX Ace and certain sprites.

Lemonilla

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, good news and bad news. good news, the box didn't appear, but neither did the sprite :/

Des

timefantasy.net
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
N/A
You have to make sure that the image has the correct transparency.

Open it in Photoshop or Gimp or something, and delete the black and white squares so that they are transparent.

Alternatively, just click on the white when you import the graphic, and the program will read that color as transparent.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Normally a character sheet will have all tiles of the same character, with each row showing them facing a different direction, and each column showing a different part of the animation. So when you make them turn or move, the image will change depending on the direction they're now facing and how far through the animation cycle they are.

When you have a character sheet where each cell is a different sprite altogether, making them turn or move gives some funny results. Set your event to be direction fix ON, make sure the correct graphic is showing. If you change the direction or move it via an event (like a cutscene) you might have to use the Change Graphic command to ensure the correct one is showing. If you make it move and it starts swapping images (because it's cycling through its animation) you might have to figure out a way to stop it doing that. The easiest way would be to make all sprites in that row in the character sheet exactly the same.

Lemonilla

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shaz

forgive me if this is not how it works, but shouldn't it assign General the sprite "Lieutenant-Zweiharnder_Preview', 0, 2, 1 before it tells it to move? wouldn't mean that it would flash the correct sprite before alternating through the diffrent colors?

@Frieze

went and looked at the sprite file, it is not transparent. If what Shaz says is true then It shouldn't matter, as only the white area is selected. I do not have any image editing software other than MSpaint which can't do transparancy.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What if you change the graphic BEFORE you set direction fix on?

GIMP and Paint.NET are both good image editing software, and they're both free. I prefer Paint.NET (its interface is a lot more similar to MSPaint) but I know a lot of people here probably like GIMP better (it's more flexible).

Lemonilla

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, the mouse blinks, but that could have been happening before. Nothing else happens.

I downloaded paint.net and it turns out that the background is transparent.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you try it with an RTP graphic, does it work?

I've had problems with the wrong sprite being chosen on direction fix events. Changing the sequence of turning on direction fix and setting the graphic HAS fixed the issue in most cases.

If your sprite is facing up and you turn on direction fix THEN you change it to another sprite that's facing down, it may change the character sheet, but possibly not the direction.

I'm just guessing at this. It's been a while since I faced this issue myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Move Animation should be turned off since you don't have any stepping frames, otherwise it'll cycle between them as the event moves.

Make sure to force the event to face the proper way before turning Direction Fix ON. Just because you picked a certain frame to change the graphic to, doesn't mean it'll actually select that one if the event isn't facing in that direction. It's impossible to change direction once it's turned on, even if you change the graphic to a frame that's facing a different direction.

Lemonilla

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Espon

I tried it, but it didn't seem to do anything.

@Shaz

what is an RTP graphic?

Btw: I will be without internet for a week or so, I'll post when I get back.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sneak peak of my upcoming update! Who's holding her, you may ask? Find out tonight!
10.PNG
BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gabrieuuu